40 minutes ago, texasaggies16 said:

So this is just a matter of time issue? Im at 70k miles on my 15 and have had no issues so far. Sometimes the heat/air sounds like a turbine at full blast but still blows just fine. 

Unfortunately, yes.  It's just a matter of time before it goes.  Mine went at 2,089 miles and they replaced it with the same first gen condenser so it's guaranteed  to go again.  My truck is a 2016 with only 5K miles on it now (I don't drive it much).  It's already been to the dealer 5 times for the AC.  I submitted a lemon law request to the Massachusetts AG but my request was denied because the AC is not deemed a safety issue.  I basically bought a $55,000 lemon. The AC is crap, it vibrates on the highway (not a wheel balance issue), it shifts hard, etc...   I will never never ever buy a GM again.

Edited by jonesumd

1 minute ago, jonesumd said:

Unfortunately, yes.  It's just a matter of time before it goes.  Mine went at 2,089 miles and they replaced it with the same first gen condenser so it's guaranteed  to go again.  My truck is a 2016 with only 5K miles on it now (I don't drive it much).  It's already been to the dealer 5 times for the AC.  I submitted a lemon law request to the Massachusetts AG but my request was denied because the AC is not a deemed safety issue.  I basically bought a $55,000 lemon. The AC is crap, it vibrates on the highway (not a wheel balance issue), it shifts hard, etc...   I will never never ever buy a GM again.

Yikes... thats horrible.. I guess ill just put whatever I get from uncle sam this tax season in a savings account for the rainy day mine breaks lol

2 minutes ago, jonesumd said:

Unfortunately, yes.  It's just a matter of time before it goes.  Mine went at 2,089 miles and they replaced it with the same first gen condenser so it's guaranteed  to go again.  My truck is a 2016 with only 5K miles on it now (I don't drive it much).  It's already been to the dealer 5 times for the AC.  I submitted a lemon law request to the Massachusetts AG but my request was denied because the AC is not a deemed safety issue.  I basically bought a $55,000 lemon. The AC is crap, it vibrates on the highway (not a wheel balance issue), it shifts hard, etc...   I will never never ever buy a GM again.

Open a claim with GM, and try to start the buy back process. 5 times without a satisfactory fix will get the ball rolling.

• 4 weeks later...

Folks - add me to the list......

Just took my truck in to have them check the AC because it was not blowing cold air anymore and said they could do a service on the system by draining and refilling - adding some dye.

Everything checked out for a day... at $350.00, figured I was getting off cheap....

Then when went to pickup the truck and the Service Manager checked again..... and ... it was leaking!!!

From what I have been reading - GM has known about this for a while and there looks to be bulletins on some of the later model trucks 2015+ for the same issue.

My truck is out of warranty - had about 50K on it when started noticing it was not cooling - mentioned it to the Service Manager and they said they needed it for a day...so I would have it done during my next service.

They are checking to see if they can get some coverage with the GM Assistance program....  crossing my fingers.

Definitely a defect in manufacturing.

If they do replace it - how do I know I am getting the upgraded part so I do not have to do it again in a couple years?

JJ

IMG_4184.JPG

Edited by johnnymordoc

Thank god for this thread. Add another one to the list. 2016 with 80k miles. Going to take it in to get tested during the next oil change in a week or so and see what the dealer will do. If I get told to just pound sand, I'll just get it diagnosed and replace what is necessary. Its absurd that this many vehicles have issues and nothing is being done about it. 

It amazes me these guys actually have to diagnose u and default to 350 for a drain and fill as common as this is. I walked in and said it's probably the condenser i don't even have to pop the hood, it's all over the internet, so check that. They did say it was common but i was in and out. So your dealer sounds questionable to say the least if they didn't suspect and inspect that first hand.

For those who have had it serviced by the dealer - what was the ballpark cost?

Did they have to remove the front bumper and parts of the front-end?

Will see what kind of  $$$ assistance GM can provide.

I know that everything is pretty tight in there, now days everything is enclosed.

Unfortunately I found it on this website / forum a little late.... hopefully it will help the next guy dealing with this....

Thanks.

Edited by johnnymordoc

23 minutes ago, reelbusy said:

It amazes me these guys actually have to diagnose u and default to 350 for a drain and fill as common as this is. I walked in and said it's probably the condenser i don't even have to pop the hood, it's all over the internet, so check that. They did say it was common but i was in and out. So your dealer sounds questionable to say the least if they didn't suspect and inspect that first hand.

That got me thinking through. Mine was under warranty.  So even though i told them look it's all over the gm sites so i'm sure it's the condenser but i didn't bother looking so check it. I suspect any dealer that acts like it's a mystery especially a drain and fill without checking that is taking you for a ride as surely they know that's the first thing to check, if not i'd wonder why? 

3 hours ago, reelbusy said:

That got me thinking through. Mine was under warranty.  So even though i told them look it's all over the gm sites so i'm sure it's the condenser but i didn't bother looking so check it. I suspect any dealer that acts like it's a mystery especially a drain and fill without checking that is taking you for a ride as surely they know that's the first thing to check, if not i'd wonder why? 

LOL welcome to the club my 2017 has the harsh shifts 1-2 and shuttering. went to the dealer 3 times. truck sits there a whole day for the idiots to tell me the updates are done.  Why do you think they have 0 %/84. months. there tring to get rid of all these trucks to unsuspected buyers. I don't think there is one person that I have spoken to that owns a sierra or chevy that doesn't have a problem.

3 hours ago, johnnymordoc said:

For those who have had it serviced by the dealer - what was the ballpark cost?

Did they have to remove the front bumper and parts of the front-end?

Will see what kind of  $$$ assistance GM can provide.

I know that everything is pretty tight in there, now days everything is enclosed.

Unfortunately I found it on this website / forum a little late.... hopefully it will help the next guy dealing with this....

Thanks.

If it makes you feel any better;  it takes a pretty good amount of r-134a freon to refill the truck.  I spent about $75 dollars at O'reilly to buy freon and dye to confirm where my leak was.  The freon then leaked bake out in about 2 weeks.  The two guys I work with, had mom and pop shops replace the condenser.  They paid about $800 or $900 for the job to be completed.  I would get a second opinion if the dealership says a high price.  The job is not very hard to do.  Aftermarket condenser are only around $100 dollars for these trucks.  Three cans of freon off amazon was around $25.  I fixed my truck at 53000 miles and it has been cooling for 4000 miles now.    There isn't a whole lot to remove to fix this.  It is pretty much just the plastic piece and then the core support underneath.  The airbox had to come out.  Radiator then leans back, you pull the condenser out, and take the lines lose.  The condenser is also your transmission cooler.  I had a time getting the cooler lines back on, while the actually a/c condenser lines went on easy.  I think gm buys cheap made condenser and then has the brackets welded on them for the model vehicle they need.  The bracket placement was never intended by the designers.  That is the only way I can figure chevy would let these keep failing.  The condenser is held on the front of the radiator with plastic clips.  Good luck man

On 2/26/2019 at 12:47 PM, StretchASU said:

Thank god for this thread. Add another one to the list. 2016 with 80k miles. Going to take it in to get tested during the next oil change in a week or so and see what the dealer will do. If I get told to just pound sand, I'll just get it diagnosed and replace what is necessary. Its absurd that this many vehicles have issues and nothing is being done about it. 

You sound surprised.  GM and a few other manufacturers have behaved like this for many years now. 

16 hours ago, Colossus said:

You sound surprised.  GM and a few other manufacturers have behaved like this for many years now. 

Hardly surprised. Just more of a statement on how people aren't held accountable for shit these days. 

Folks,

Is anybody a lawyer out there that has had this problem?

Any legal advise?

Do we have any legal recourse?

I did a quick google search and found these......

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/gm-ac-compressor-condenser-problems-lawsuit.shtml

http://www.radiatorhelpline.com/2017/06/2014-2017-chevy-gm-condenser-widespread-failure.html

Looks like a lawsuit in Tennessee?

Do we need to start one in each state? California? Texas?