On 5/16/2019 at 12:39 PM, Sierra Dan said:

1 Evaporator.....  #7 in diagram below

Untitled-1.png

On 5/16/2019 at 8:33 AM, BIGDOGx said:

Turns out i have a faulty evap core, service writer said my truck has two of them ?? Claimed the one in the back went bad, thinking he might be mistaken for maybe a suv, do the 14's have 2 evap cores? In any case for those on the fence with a newer or about to get new truck this little problem just made the money i spent on a extended gmpp pay off, one repair, i still have nearly 3 years left on it.

I would get a second opinion.. Only the SUV with rear air has 2 cores.. 

How many people here have had an evaporator leak?  

Ask to show you where it is  leaking and take pictures. 

20 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

$45 for a tube of JB weld? :D

Too funny ?!  Reminds me of some of my grandfathers repairs on his 1953 Chevy back on the farm.  He always kept a bunch of bailing wire hung over one of the stakes on the pickup side boards.  Was always wiring something together.  This was pre duct tape era or I’m sure he would have had a roll laying on the seat.

3 hours ago, Snoringbear said:

Too funny ?!  Reminds me of some of my grandfathers repairs on his 1953 Chevy back on the farm.  He always kept a bunch of bailing wire hung over one of the stakes on the pickup side boards.  Was always wiring something together.  This was pre duct tape era or I’m sure he would have had a roll laying on the seat.

Describes my Dad to a Tee.

Throw Duct Tape in the mix with the Bailing wire, and he could have patched up a Boeing 737 for flight! LOL

So, I changed my condensor over the weekend. I had the hardest time. The transmission fluid hoses didn't fit in the replacement condensor fittings, so I had to swap them out with the old ones. Then apparently I didn't get one in all the way and ended up with trans. fluid leaking. Such a pain. But I have that fixed and cold air.  Also, the replacement condensor where the trans. fluid fittings are didn't stick out as much as the original, so fitting it was a pain.

On 5/27/2019 at 3:45 PM, cajun_duck said:

So, I changed my condensor over the weekend. I had the hardest time. The transmission fluid hoses didn't fit in the replacement condensor fittings, so I had to swap them out with the old ones. Then apparently I didn't get one in all the way and ended up with trans. fluid leaking. Such a pain. But I have that fixed and cold air.  Also, the replacement condensor where the trans. fluid fittings are didn't stick out as much as the original, so fitting it was a pain.

I also experienced this on the cooler line connections.

Took a little friendly persuasion until the flute was seated enough for the clips to go back on.

This was my most challenging aspect of the swap. It was all worth it for the ice cold air I have now. :thumbs:

Fixed mine a month or so ago myself, ended up using the ACDelco condenser.

I had nothing left in mine, so I rented the Oreilly pump and gauge set. Pulled vacuum, it leaked down so confirmed leak, I charged with dye to confirm the spot. Leaked out in a weak, but dye did its job. Same spot as everyone else on the condenser. Bought the ACDelco part, got the bracket for the lower line just to prevent a leak there although mine showed no signs of issues. Installed both in a few hours, could be done quicker though. One of my cooler lines went right together, driver side I want to say. The passenger side gave me a little trouble but after a little manipulation and trial and error it went together. Rented the Oreilly pump and gauges again. Charged the system, one can with dye just in case of future leaks. Added some ACDelco oil. Been cold a month or so now, with no issues. All in with condenser, oil, and refrigerant Id say around 300. Prior to this the most I had done was add a can with the quick connect simple systems auto parts stores sell. Really not a hard job to do. AC seems intimidating, but if you can wrench a bit its not bad. Could have messed this up 3 times and still come out ahead of paying a dealer 1200 bucks.

Adding to this, I added some trans fluid to the condenser at install, instead of after through dip stick. When I checked cold it looked good and after a drive looked good warm.

Edited by jrob56
  • Like 1

All i can say is my Air is colder than it has ever been since day 1, so I am actually very happy about the condenser choking! LOL

I think some Automakers skimp on the A/C charge somewhat to save every penny they can at the time of production.

I am part of the way through my a/c system refresh. Not eligible for the recall and out of warranty I opted to take this on myself. I was able to track down a company that advertises upgraded components to address the OEM shortcomings. http://www.gpdtechtips.com/product-flyers.html The parts are available from Rock Auto and the price is reasonable. I figure I'll give them a shot, can't be any worse than factory.