11 minutes ago, Sierra 14 said:

Thank you, I guess it will go in the scrap pile in my backyard next to to my house condenser. ?. One day I'll get to that stuff to recycle.?

You could always prop it up in the back yard against some straw bales and use it for target practice    :M16:     :crackup:

• Haha 1

I just replaced my condensor and discharge hose. My leak was from the hose but I went ahead and replaced both for cheap insurance. I used a Murray aftermarket condensor and redesigned GM hose. I Took it to a shop for vacuum and recharge so my total cost was just under $400. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in now, leaking condenser; 15 Sierra 75k miles. dealer wanted $1,500 to fix it. Told them to kick rocks. They called me back 5 minutes later and said $252. Not happy about the situation but to not lift a finger to mess with it sure is nice.

dont let these stealerships bully you, I had to get really loud on the first call ha.

Edited by texasaggies16
  • Like 1

2014 Sierra 1500 - 60K

Reading this thread is depressing...

Never stops.

I had to bring my back for the 3rd time.... and am crossing my fingers that they fixed it......

First experience was at about 45K - started blowing hot air... so the did a service - recharge and put the dye in it...$(350) .. that lasted a day. I  had one of the faulty condensers .. you could see the dye leaking out the weld..

They fixed that - out of warranty........ $1500 - charged me $700 and figured got off cheap.... $1000. 2 yr. warranty.

Month goes by and we had a little heat wave...... turned on the A/C and blowing hot air again.....

Took it back... they check it out again and said it was not the condenser but a hose ... had a pin hole.......

Again... $1500 quoted and ending up charging me $675 for a hose, seal and freon.... 

The problem is the dealers know about this stuff...... it generates revenue for the Service Managers. 

To date - almost $1700..... waiting for the other shoe to drop...........

Oh... it did......

At 63K and just hitting the 5 year mark.. the right rear axle started leaking.. said it was past warranty......would not cover it...... $300+

Funny  thing is that I had them do a 60K service around 59K and they did not see it.....

Are these trucks that bad....... like owning a boat.....

The dealer says .... it is 5 years old.... it is the cost of ownership? Really???

Really thinking hard about throwing in the towel on this one..... I figured it would be the last vehicle I purchased ..... get 150K+ out of it...at least 10+ years before any major maintenance besides brakes and tires..... just got the tires.. at least they lasted me 60K.

What is next? The computer?

Frustrated in CA.

Edited by johnnymordoc
spelling

5 hours ago, johnnymordoc said:

2014 Sierra 1500 - 60K

Never stops.

I had to bring my back for the 3rd time.... and am crossing my fingers that they fixed it......

First experience was at about 45K - started blowing hot air... so the did a service - recharge and put the dye in it...$(350) .. that lasted a day. I  had one of the faulty condensers .. you could see the dye leaking out the weld..

They fixed that - out of warranty........ $1500 - charged me $700 and figured got off cheap.... $1000. 2 yr. warranty.

Month goes by and we had a little heat wave...... turned on the A/C and blowing hot air again.....

Took it back... they check it out again and said it was not the condenser but a hose ... had a pin hole.......

Again... $1500 quoted and ending up charging me $675 for a hose, seal and freon.... 

The problem is the dealers know about this stuff...... it generates revenue for the Service Managers. 

Oh... it did......

At 63K and just hitting the 5 year mark.. the right rear axle started leaking.. said it was past warranty......would not cover it...... $300+

Funny  thing is that I had them do a 60K service around 59K and they did not see it.....

The dealer says .... it is 5 years old.... it is the cost of ownership? Really???

Really thinking hard about throwing in the towel on this one..... I figured it would be the last vehicle I purchased ..... get 150K+ out of it...at least 10+ years before any major maintenance besides brakes and tires..... just got the tires.. at least they lasted me 60K.

Frustrated in CA.

it is obvious GM has let you down.  Get rid of the thing already!!  Life is too short to be miserable. 

12 hours ago, johnnymordoc said:

2014 Sierra 1500 - 60K

Never stops.

Oh... it did......

Frustrated in CA.

Do you like your truck otherwise?  If so, fix it and drive on.    Yes it's frustrating to have these things happen...I had the condenser issue that ultimately ended up costing me about $500.  I also had the numerous recalls and expensive service --  $170 for front differential fluid change, C'mon man!!!    But after about 4 or 5 years, things do break and fixing them is waaaaaay cheaper than the depreciation, and the tax, title, license of a new truck.   A new AT4 to replace my Sierra Z71 is $55K not counting TTL and insurance increase.   That's around $30K to get into a new truck not counting any upgrades I would do to the AT4 (like tires).   Even if you put $10K into your current truck over the next 4 years (highly unlikely), you are money ahead.

But sometimes it's just time for a new vehicle.   'Merica!

I’ve become a believer in extended warranties.  Have the 5yr/75K warranty on my current 2015.  Bought it in May 2015 and have 49K in it.  So, almost one year left.  Only major problem I’ve had is the AC Condenser problem and the warranty covered it 100%.  It’s zero deductible if taken to the dealership where purchased.  Btw, I always buy the extended warranty at the tail end of the negotiation process when buying a new vehicle.  Use it as the closer on the deal.

20 minutes ago, 1997SierraSLT said:

GM doesn’t need to produce a high quality product with long term reliability as long as the consumer continues to purchase.

I understand your logic but don’t agree with it.  I’m old, 74, and it’s my observation that auto quality has never been higher, especially when considering the complexity and features being offered on today’s vehicles.  

4 hours ago, Snoringbear said:

I understand your logic but don’t agree with it.  I’m old, 74, and it’s my observation that auto quality has never been higher, especially when considering the complexity and features being offered on today’s vehicles.  

I agree. 

On 7/13/2019 at 4:55 AM, bcbz71 said:

Do you like your truck otherwise?  If so, fix it and drive on.    Yes it's frustrating to have these things happen...I had the condenser issue that ultimately ended up costing me about $500.  I also had the numerous recalls and expensive service --  $170 for front differential fluid change, C'mon man!!!    But after about 4 or 5 years, things do break and fixing them is waaaaaay cheaper than the depreciation, and the tax, title, license of a new truck.   A new AT4 to replace my Sierra Z71 is $55K not counting TTL and insurance increase.   That's around $30K to get into a new truck not counting any upgrades I would do to the AT4 (like tires).   Even if you put $10K into your current truck over the next 4 years (highly unlikely), you are money ahead.

Yes, I enjoy my truck - just did not expect to be putting money into it @ 60K .... figure at least 75K or even 100K.

I owned a Toyota Tacoma 2006 and all I really did was change the oil........nothing with AC or drive train..... 

I needed more of a family vehicle... (could not see my mother-in-law hopping into the jump seat)

True -- to get myself into something new is going to cost $$$

I am getting better gas mileage with my GMC V8 than I did with the Toyota - 

In looking at any alternatives out there.... the GM's have the better towing and fuel mileage........

Just going to cross my fingers... they did give me a 2 year warranty on the A/C condenser.. and A/C condenser line that was replaced.......

Thanks for bringing me back to reality.... for now.....

On 7/13/2019 at 4:55 AM, bcbz71 said:

7 hours ago, TxSLT said:

Anyone have a part number for a condenser on a 16 sierra? Also how are aftermarket condensers? 

I thought the A/C condenser was covered in the 2015 and later- it was just the 2014 that did not have the warranty coverage?

I am not familiar with the 2016 A/C issues - just know that when I pressed the dealer about this he mentioned there was Technical Service Bulletin (TSB PIT5331)MC-10145171-9999.pdf

http://www.gmcproblems.com/ac-condenser-leaks/

It affected a lot of GM vehicles from Sierra to Escalade and Yukons/Suburbans... it is a crime! 

Not familiar with any aftermarket - they replacement the put in has the heat shield and when they did the A/C condenser  - the did not do the hose that was part of the TSB in 2014...

Edited by johnnymordoc
edit