Most members here don't have the ability and equipment to evac and recharge ac systems. If they do, they would obviously have the ability to buy and change their own condenser. The cost of an aftermarket condenser isn't the issue. It's the cost of labor and recharge. Patching with adhesives is a roll of the dice and if you're paying for a recharge, it ain't cheap. After removing and replacing my condenser twice, I'd never remove it and patch it with adhesive and reinstall it. The labor Outweighs the cost of condensers, for me.

Edited by spurshot

Ya, many repairs are beyond the skills of some people. The dealership is often the only option. Any patches that I have done were while the radiator or condenser were still in the vehicle. If the part needs to be removed to patch it, ya might as well put a new one in. Here is a good example of what I mean. I had to replace some front end parts on a Pathfinder that I picked up cheap. The condenser was leaking, but since it had to come off anyway for the repairs, I just bought one at the junk yard for $14, and after I had the rig all back together, I recharged the system with about $5 worth of Freon from Walmart. Vacuuming the A/C system is recommended by everyone, however I did not. I figure that if the pump goes bad from moisture in the system, I will just buy a replacement pump from the junk yard for $22. I fixed this rig in 2014, and have had no problems so far with the A/C. Many people are working on much more expensive rigs, with parts that are much harder to find used. In addition, not everyone knows how to remove an A/C pump. Many people do not know what an A/C pump looks like. My repair examples are not a recommended procedure, but more of an informational type of thing. Might spark some ideas for people, and show them some other avenues to explore.

11078004 795623030529621 1669368615390099860 O

20161029 133818

MAC134.jpg

Edited by starman8tdc

What's the psi on the high side? It's gotta be fairly high. I'm amazed that these adhesive patches are just blown right off. Must be good stuff for sure.

The condenser is the high side. It can see upward of 350 psi.

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

Edited by spurshot

The adhesive ability and strength of those two products is incredible. You have to see it to believe it. As long as the surface is cleaned with alcohol first, they will do the job. I have used Permatex to patch slashed sidwalls on ATV's, and then had large rocks scrape against the sidewalls with no leaks. The way it bonds to metal reminds me of the rubber that is adhered to some types of motor mounts. When it dries, its consistency and flexibility is similar to tire rubber. If you put a large glob of this stuff on clean metal and let it dry, you would definitely not be able to peel it off, You would have to cut it off, and then follow up with a razor blade scraper to get it all. Its about $20 for a small can of this stuff, but its worth every penny. I use it for all kinds of automotive stuff.

So I have an early 2014 Sierra AT 5.3L, 113,000 miles. Had the condenser go about a month ago, and after getting a ~$1200 estimate I decided to hold off on what to do for a while(In Michigan here so the heat has been tolerable). The parts were on back-order as well.

One day I randomly started chatting on the GMC main site with one of the chat service people. Gave them the background of the issue, my truck info ,etc and they contacted my dealer. I believe a case number was opened at this time that became the dealerships responsibility. The dealer called me the next day and had most of the info, but I further explained the issue to them and gave them my mileage. They did just get the condensers in as well. The dealership (I believe the service manager) had to check if GM was offering any cost assistance for this issue, so he checked some system and called me right back to confirm that they were. All in all they said it'd cost me $275, which did end up to be the final total. I dropped my truck off the next evening and they had the condenser replaced/recharged and the steering recall done by noon the next day. Pretty happy with the cost and speed(once they had the part) of this resolution, especially now that I'm out of warranty..

Add me to the list. Right before Hurricane Irma the A/C starting getting warm and struggling. Not ideal in Florida late August / early September. I'm a few hundred miles over warranty. I didn't read this thread or know of the issue prior to taking it to GMC dealer yesterday. They called back after diagnose and are going to cover half of the repair. They know it's a known issue, but getting it done for ~$400. Sounds like I'm covering the labor to install. Should have it back later today.

At $2,000 they make a profit. At $1,200 they make a profit, and at $400 they make a profit. We can buy one condenser on eBay for $70. Image how cheap they get them for when they buy a few million at a time. Lets say their cost is $50 for the condenser. The replacement condenser might even be free for the dealer if they have a defect guarantee through their supplier. Anyway, lets say they pay $50 for the condenser. If they are not busy, then the labor costs the dealer nothing, because the mechanics are sitting around drinking coffee on the clock anyway. Even if they are very busy and the repair cuts into their other repairs, it takes at most an hour to swap it out and recharge the system. They pay the mechanic at most .... what..... $50 an hour? So they are into it $100, and they charge you $400 - its a $300 profit margin.

I'm not saying that you got a bad deal. All I'm saying is that neither did the dealer.

I worked for a manufacturing company at one time, and they sold their product for $2,000, with a lifetime warranty on the electric motor. The electric motor itself had a retail price of $750, but under warranty you could get it replaced for only a $100 deductible. The motors cost the company $11 each when they bought them in bulk. It didn't take long for the company to figure out that if they put even lower quality motors in the product, that they would make even more money. The cost was lower, plus they would replace twice as many motors under warranty. Every warranty repair they did would result in an $89 profit. Who did they have replace the motors? The guy that builds the product. He would sit there and build the products, and when a warranty repair came in, he would fix it and then go back to building more of the crappy products. No extra cost on labor at all, because he was already on the clock and had a huge stockpile of products that he had already built.

Dealers make money in one of two ways:

1) Sell the trade-ins with a huge profit margin.

2) Service and repair cars with a huge profit margin.

A dealer's least profitable transaction is selling a brand new car to an experienced buyer with no trade in.

P.S.

Not looking to start a big debate over dealership profitability.

Edited by starman8tdc
  • Like 1

A supplier would only be obligated to pay based on their contract, which can differ widely. A supplier with only manufacturing authority would not warranty a design flaw and even a manufacturing flaw under specified conditions of the contract. Similarly, a design and manufacturing supplier would only be held responsible for areas of the design they had control over, as some design aspects are constrained by the allocated design envelope. It's the subject of lawyers in my business.

Edited by spurshot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another one bites the dust! Took my 2015 (64xxx mi) to the dealer yesterday for AC going out. I charged it once and it lasted about a week. they called and said it was the condenser. picking it up later today. Luckily I got the 100k mi extended warranty.

I'm 6,000 miles away from my warranty expiring in my 2016 Silverado. I haven't had issues with my condenser, but I want them to put in a new one and take care of as many potential issues as possible before my warranty goes out. Think they'll change it?