Fuel injector replacement

My CEL came on a couple of weeks ago. P050D: cold start rough idle. I cleared it, and took it to the dealer when it came back. They charged me $190 to tell me that it is the #7 fuel injector and is no longer covered by warranty. They quoted me about $800 to replace it. Another mechanic quoted me $360. How hard would this be to replace myself? Or is this something that is best sent to a mechanic?

My CEL came on a couple of weeks ago. P050D: cold start rough idle. I cleared it, and took it to the dealer when it came back. They charged me $190 to tell me that it is the #7 fuel injector and is no longer covered by warranty. They quoted me about $800 to replace it. Another mechanic quoted me $360. How hard would this be to replace myself? Or is this something that is best sent to a mechanic?

Well, it's not too bad. But you're also going to need the high pressure fuel pipe underneath the intake, there's two of them. They are not re useable after they are removed. There is a special tool needed to size the seals on the high pressure injectors as well. The tool is quite expensive and there is no other way to size it. It will tear and leak if you don't have the tool. I just don't know if I'd be too confident in the injector causing this DTC. The misfire monitor would have picked this up prior to setting this particular code. It would have set a P0307 or a DTC related to the injector control. So, in short. You're not going to be able to do this job without the tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since we have no idea what we are replacing an injector on we can't help at all.

I just went off on the category he created the post on. It doesn't matter if this is a 4.3, 5.3 or a 6.2. The new generation V6 and V8's all require this new tool.

Well, it's not too bad. But you're also going to need the high pressure fuel pipe underneath the intake, there's two of them. They are not re useable after they are removed. There is a special tool needed to size the seals on the high pressure injectors as well. The tool is quite expensive and there is no other way to size it. It will tear and leak if you don't have the tool. I just don't know if I'd be too confident in the injector causing this DTC. The misfire monitor would have picked this up prior to setting this particular code. It would have set a P0307 or a DTC related to the injector control. So, in short. You're not going to be able to do this job without the tool.

Nope its the injector, common issue, just had mine done about a month ago under warranty

I just went off on the category he created the post on. It doesn't matter if this is a 4.3, 5.3 or a 6.2. The new generation V6 and V8's all require this new tool.

This can be done with a straw. A plastic straw from your local convenience store.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this a 2014 OP? If so the drivetrain is covered 5yr/100k miles and the engine falls under the drivetrain coverage. That injector should be covered since it is part of the engine, I would call GM and open a case with them on this.

• 1 year later...
Anybody find a guide on this?
There are quite a few threads on it. Injectors are not part of the power train warranty. If you have p050d, check with the dealer before replacing injectors because you might have a leaky head that there is a pip on. Another guy went threw and replaced the injectors himself only to find out that he had the leaky heads. He did a good right up on the process of replacing the injectors. Midwest Denali I think is his username.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yeah just got my truck back brand new motor now all 8 injectors need to be replaced from the dealer they wanted 3k to do it. I declined.thanks for the tip gonna be looking for it!

Edited by Figs95

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having to do the same in my 2015 Sierra 1500 with the 5.3L L83 motor.  I went to eBay where they are selling refurbished OEM injectors.  There compatibility chart said I was buying the right injector when I found out today from the dealer that there are 3 different injectors for this motor.  I guess my first question is why?  Anyway, I had a one in three chance that I bought the right ones.  Well, I didn't.  I did however get all 8 for $109.00  But now I need to ship them back and get the correct ones.  Parts said there is a low, normal, and High flow injectors.  Mine are the normal flow injectors.  But there's more to this story. 

First of all there isn't squat on the internet about changing these things.  Some people have said the injectors are accessible without removing the manifold.  Wrong!  You have to remove the manifold and you need to replace the 8 intake gaskets when you put it back on.  Dealer quoted me $5.76 each for the manifold gaskets.  For a rubber rectangle o-ring.  Joke!  Anyway, I also heard you have to replace the fuel rails that the injectors are attached to.  I was told that is not the case.  All I need is the injectors and the gaskets for the manifold.  If I buy replacement injectors from the dealer they are $156 each.  The dealer code shows my cylinder 2 and 3 are misfiring.  I figured I'd replace all 8 while I had it apart.  But the way it's going I may just replace the 2 suspect injectors and get my truck running right again.  It's terrible right now.  Missing, surging, no power, horrible fuel economy.  Kind of pisses me off.  Especially since it only had 47k miles on it when it started having issues.  I've seen several other threads with 2 and 3 year newer trucks than mine with half the miles doing the same thing.  Maybe a problem GM?  Anyway, I found a video on YouTube that shows a manifold swap on the l83 motor and it allows you to clearly see that the injectors are under the manifold, and under a thick piece of foam under the manifold.  Video here:

So I'm going to find the right injectors and dig into this myself.  My dealer quoted me $1075 to replace to stinkin injectors.  So I'm going to roll up my sleeves and tackle this problem on my own.  I don't need a dealer to rape me when I can do this on my own.  Pretty straight forward.  Probably medium skill and a few deep socket metrics and a wrench or two and I'll have this thing knocked out.  That video helped me to see how it is laid out and looks under the manifold so I know what to expect.  There is another post on here where a guy tackled it himself but used some strange verbiage about what parts he was removing so it was kind of confusing.  Referring to the manifold as a plastic shield or something.  But he was able to remove the manifold, change the injectors and said he did it all in 2 hours.  So we'll see.  Wish me luck.  I'm going to try and post pics or do a video which seems to be long overdue.  Help some other poor sap out that can't find any info on this seemingly secret process.  I'll check back soon.  

• Like 1

I understand your frustration with 47 K miles but parts do fail.

Why buy rebuilt?

Look other places like Rock Auto.

Will be looking for pics or a video.

:)

7 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I understand your frustration with 47 K miles but parts do fail.

Why buy rebuilt?

Look other places like Rock Auto.

Will be looking for pics or a video.

:)

Yeah I get that but there are a lot of injector failures.  These things aren’t supposed wear out likes tires.   You’d think you’d get 100K plus miles before they start failing.  Not 20-40k miles.   Plus dealer said they do not show up under the code for drive train warranty.  So they are out of pocket. And they aren’t cheap at all. Pay $50k for a truck and I have a 2004 Cavalier that still runs like a top with 140k miles on it.  I paid 1/4 the price for it and it’s ran perfect.  

• 3 weeks later...

Don't buy "refurbished" high pressure fuel injectors.  Refurbished = a used injector someone might have wiped the grease off of it.  There is no refurbishment of the injector.  

• Like 2