In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
afireinside7444

Coolant flush drain

I don't think it's worth removing those plugs on the engine block. Just drain your coolant, fill it back up with distilled water, drive it around with the heat on for 10 mins then drain again.

I'd keep running distilled water through it for another cycle or two. Driving around spools up the water pump and having the heat on helps clean out the heater core. Once it drains clear to your satisfaction, you can fill it back up with coolant and you're good to go.

On 1/31/2020 at 8:49 PM, ShubiSnax said:

I don't think it's worth removing those plugs on the engine block. Just drain your coolant, fill it back up with distilled water, drive it around with the heat on for 10 mins then drain again.

I'd keep running distilled water through it for another cycle or two. Driving around spools up the water pump and having the heat on helps clean out the heater core. Once it drains clear to your satisfaction, you can fill it back up with coolant and you're good to go.

Rule of thumb...don’t touch block coolant drains. Waste of time. And depending on the engine, you could be opening up a big can of worms if that thing snaps.

You said it best, do a couple drain and fills if you’re that worried that one won’t do it. Personally I let the factory fill go to 90k-100k, then I drain and fill the radiator once. I do it again the following year or roughly every 30k miles from there on out. I consider it more a replenishing thing at that point. But I like the other method too (doing it twice).

My feeling is...once you get to 100k miles, you are at the point where you probably are going to be doing some sort of cooling system repair anyway (water pump, radiator, thermostat), so you’ll be draining most of that coolant anyway. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Doublebase said:

Personally I let the factory fill go to 90k-100k, then I drain and fill the radiator once. I do it again the following year or roughly every 30k miles from there on out. 

:thumbs:

Coolant doesn't have the contaminants or the temps that oil gets, so it has a much longer lifespan than oil.

I would just go with what GM recommends unless you use the truck in a more commercial way (like driving it all day, most days).

14 minutes ago, davester said:

I would just go with what GM recommends unless you use the truck in a more commercial way (like driving it all day, most days).

No it's a pleasure vehicle no towing etc.... thanks

Just got a picture of it to add here for future thread searchers like me.

It's right next to the passenger side lower hose.

Cheers.

20200824_102111.jpg

5 hours ago, Epsilon Plus said:

Just got a picture of it to add here for future thread searchers like me.

It's right next to the passenger side lower hose.

Cheers.

20200824_102111.jpg

Thanks for posting, I've spent the last 6 years searching for that drain plug. Looks difficult to access though. My method for servicing the cooling system is to drain the overflow tank once a year and refill with 2/3 gallon 50/50 Dexcool...........good enough for me.

Thanks for posting, I've spent the last 6 years searching for that drain plug. Looks difficult to access though. My method for servicing the cooling system is to drain the overflow tank once a year and refill with 2/3 gallon 50/50 Dexcool...........good enough for me.

I never thought about servicing the coolant that way. Interesting. I never used the drain plug in any of my cars. I always pulled the bottom hose to drain. I was always afraid of breaking the plug or the plug not sealing back and then I would be screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If draining and filling once at recommended intervals isn’t enough. Do it sooner. The one time I had a GM truck long enough to do the recommended antifreeze change at 150K. My water pump went out 1K miles later. It started leaking. I haven’t changed since.

15 hours ago, Bob2C said:

I never thought about servicing the coolant that way. Interesting. I never used the drain plug in any of my cars. I always pulled the bottom hose to drain. I was always afraid of breaking the plug or the plug not sealing back and then I would be screwed.

Yup, happens all the time on older cars/trucks in my neck of the woods.  If the vehicle is new I wouldn't hesitate using the petcock.  Last one I did on a old Toyota...off to the store to find something to fit a 15yr old car....head gaskets were gone 40k prior she was a mixing oil and starting hit my purse.

Yup, happens all the time on older cars/trucks in my neck of the woods.  If the vehicle is new I wouldn't hesitate using the petcock.  Last one I did on a old Toyota...off to the store to find something to fit a 15yr old car....head gaskets were gone 40k prior she was a mixing oil and starting hit my purse.

I still hesitate on a newer car. It’s all cheap plastic crap with a throw away radiator. Did my other car that’s 6 years old and didn’t touch it. Sometimes things are best to be left alone.