Sign in to follow this  
tk3000

2010 GMC Terrarin - Non starting condition + check engine light

I got a 2010 GMC terrain AWD 2.4L which has a recurrent non-starting condition. Previously, I replaced the starter and it seemed to take care of the problem; but then the non-starting condition is back is full swing: there sign of life coming from the starter besides what seems a click from a relay from the engine compartment.

Battery is new, and has been checked under load (load tester) and its cca checked ok too.

Checked the cables going from the battery to the starter for resistance. Obtained 2 ohms from battery terminals to starter terminals. Obtained about 3 ohms from battery negative terminal to spot where starter seats. The resistance seems pretty low so the cable should not be a problem.

There is also a check engine light. Readings were of values like $07E8 (which may be a misfire condition that could be the result of many failled starting attempts). Another code obtained was P15A1 which I don't know the meaning.

I swapped the starter relays with the fog light in the engine compartment for no avail. It seems that the culprit may be the neutral/parking switch.

Any insights into this conundrum would be appreciated.

Do you have any other codes besides the P15A1?

Some info on the P15A1 below:

DTC P15A1: Fuel Economy Mode Switch Performance

The ECM supplies 5 V reference voltage, through the 5 V reference voltage circuit, to the fuel economy mode switch. This 5 V reference voltage causes current to flow through a series of resistors in the switch to the switch ground circuit. The ECM monitors the 5 V reference voltage through a discrete fuel economy mode switch signal circuit. When the switch button is momentarily pressed, the switch contacts allow the 5 V reference voltage signal to by-pass one of the resistors. The ECM detects the resulting voltage drop as a fuel economy mode request and sends a GMLAN message to the transmission control module (TCM) indicating the request. When the TCM receives the request, throttle progressions and transmission shift points are modified to optimize fuel efficiency. The instrument panel cluster (IPC) also receives the fuel economy mode request message from the ECM and illuminates the fuel economy mode indicator lamp. The fuel economy mode switch must be pressed for between 0.094–1.5 s to activate the fuel economy mode. Voltage on the signal wire is normally between 1.45–3.45 V with the switch depressed. When the switch is released, voltage on the signal wire is normally between 3.65–4.45 V.

Circuit/System Verification
  1. If you cannot duplicate the condition, refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections.
  2. Verify that DTCs P159F and P15A0 are not set.
    • If either or both of the DTCs are set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle.
  3. Engine running, observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTC P15A1 should not set.
  4. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC to verify the DTC does not reset. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Circuit/System Testing

Note: You must perform the Circuit/System Verification before proceeding with Circuit/System Testing.

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the X1 harness connector at the S112 Fuel Economy Mode Switch.
  2. Test for less than 5 Ω between the ground circuit terminal 1 of the harness connector and ground.
    • If greater than the specified range, test the ground circuit for a high resistance and repair as necessary.
  3. Measure between the 5 V reference voltage circuit terminal 3 of the switch and signal circuit terminal 4 of the switch for 266–294 Ω with a DMM.
    • If the DMM does not measure between 266–294 Ω, replace the S112 Fuel Economy Mode Switch.
  4. Measure between the 5 V reference voltage circuit terminal 3 of the switch and the ground circuit terminal 1 of the switch for 1,414–1,562 Ω with a DMM.
    • If the DMM does not measure between 1,414–1,562 Ω, replace the S112 Fuel Economy Mode Switch.
  5. With the fuel economy mode switch button depressed, measure between the 5 V reference voltage circuit terminal 3 of the switch and the ground circuit terminal 1 of the switch for 486–538 Ω with a DMM.
    • If the DMM does not measure between 486–538 Ω, replace the S112 Fuel Economy Mode Switch.
  6. Disconnect the X2 harness connector at the ECM.
  7. Measure the 5 V reference voltage circuit, between terminal 14 of the ECM harness connector and terminal 3 of the fuel economy mode switch harness connector, for less than 5 Ω.
    • If greater than the specified range, repair or replace the 5 V reference voltage circuit as necessary.
  8. Measure the signal circuit, between terminal 50 of the ECM harness connector and terminal 4 of the fuel economy mode switch harness connector, for less than 5 Ω.
    • If greater than the specified range, repair or replace the signal circuit as necessary.
  9. If all circuits test normal, replace the K20 ECM.

Edited by 15HDriver

Do you have any other codes besides the P15A1?

Some info on the P15A1 below:

I got three codes that were generic I believe and maybe related to a misfire condition (which could be a result of several starting attemps), they all hexadecimal and started with $07, I wrote down one of them: $07E8. I will do another readout to double check the other two codes.

Thanks for the P15A1. I found out about this code, but apart from the "fuel economy mode switch performance" that is described I confess that the rest is not clear for me; anyhow it does not seem to related to the starting issue.

As far as the starting issue goes, I was trying to c heck whether or not there is signal going to the starter solenoid to engage it but I can not find a type of connector (only have crocodile clips) that will fit into the connector in the starter. But I suspect that there will be no signal going to the starter solenoid since the starter itself tested ok.

thanks for the input

Yea that $07E8 really isn't a code. I'd def. try and pull the other ones. Most DTC's start with a P, B, C or U. So for example P0011, B0101 etc.

Yea that $07E8 really isn't a code. I'd def. try and pull the other ones. Most DTC's start with a P, B, C or U. So for example P0011, B0101 etc.

At first I used an odb reader that offered three options after reading was done: $07E8, $07EA, $07EB; and once I select each one of the three options there would another menu with the option to read stored, pending or permanent codes, and that when the P15A1 came up only for the first option ($07E8) in the pending and permanent submenu options. I used another odb code reader which on finishing communicating with the vehicle computer showed the P15A1 straight away. I then erased the codes, but once I turned the key off and into acc again the check engine light comes back right away and the same code P15A1 shows on again (as if it was never erased, or came back instantly). Wouldn't there be a code for something like a neutral/parking switch defect?

This car only gives problem after problem since I got it...