Power folding mirrors not folding

I just picked up my new '17 2500 at the dealer yesterday. When I ordered the truck either I or the dealer missed checking the mark for the trailering mirrors so the mirrors were added after arrival at the dealer.

When I got the truck the salesman wasn't able to get the mirrors to fold. (Yeah I know, I'd like to take the installation tech behind the shed and have a chat about professionalism and integrity but right now I just want my mirrors to fold) When I press the button I can hear a faint sound at the mirror but no movement. I've tried folding manually.

Any ideas? I'm going back to the dealer to get it fixed but if it's something simple I'd rather they not touch it.

Thanks

Dale

They most likely added the non power folding tow mirrors. Those mirrors are available as a kit and probably what they saw first in their search.

If they need to add OEM power folding tow mirrors they would have to replace door harnesses.

There are many threads about adding power folding tow mirrors to trucks without them.

Edited by Arth

The truck already had folding mirrors, they swapped out mirrors and harnesses so the hardware should all be there. They talked of a "software upload" for the new mirrors which was supposed to have been done.

Edited by Dale L

I am on a mobile so I can't find the threads for you but there are tons on this.

No software update to my knowledge. I have personally swapped from small power folding mirrors to OEM power folding tow mirrors and it was just door harnesses.

Do a quick search and you will find another threads about this.

Really though your dealer is on the hook for this. This was a term of your sale and has to be corrected.

The truck already had folding mirrors, they swapped out mirrors and harnesses so the hardware should all be there. They talked of a "software upload" for the new mirrors which was supposed to have been done.

I talked to the sales manager today about the mirror issue. He is telling me that power folding trailering mirrors are not available!? A bit odd since I find them listed as an option on chevrolet.com when "building" the truck. I hate this crap. Life is too short and with my cancer it's even shorter.

I talked to the sales manager today about the mirror issue. He is telling me that power folding trailering mirrors are not available!? A bit odd since I find them listed as an option on chevrolet.com when "building" the truck. I hate this crap. Life is too short and with my cancer it's even shorter.

He is completely full of it my '16 came with them, which is a fairly common option as you know. As tough as it may be you need to be persistant and keep on them to keep their end of the deal. I don't have any idea what it's like to have your illness but I hope you have the strength to take care of yourself first and foremost. Best wishes.

Yeah I know the mirrors are available. When I got home I checked the Chevy build sight, the power folding trailering mirrors are a $295 option. I was charged $1400 for the trailering mirrors they installed --- I did get the original mirrors and wiring harnesses back.

I called the sales manager and advised him that the mirrors are in fact available and asked about the price difference --- he didn't have a strong answer, said he is working on it and he'll have something for me on Friday when I got back to the dealer for the some detail work.

I'm pretty sure up here in Canada the mirrors are worth about $750 each to replace. It sounds like they are charging you the after the fact cost. Like most upgrades though if you get it factory installed its a way cheaper option. The black bowties for my truck are $180 (not installed)from the dealers part department. That price keeps me from changing out the gold ones I have now. I bet it would be a $5 option factory installed.

Your dealer ordered you the kit mirrors which are NOT power folding (known as the DPN mirrors). They should have ordered you the power folding tow mirrors which are NOT sold in a kit (the DQS mirrors).

What you have to get them to order are p/n 84041611 and 84041609 for the POWER FOLD tow mirrors. Again, the power fold must be ordered individually, they are not sold in a kit.

Your dealer ordered you the kit mirrors which are NOT power folding (known as the DPN mirrors). They should have ordered you the power folding tow mirrors which are NOT sold in a kit (the DQS mirrors).

What you have to get them to order are p/n 84041611 and 84041609 for the POWER FOLD tow mirrors. Again, the power fold must be ordered individually, they are not sold in a kit.

Thank you, that is info I can use.

Back to the dealer today to talk to them about the mirror issue and get the perma plate on the interior.

Chatting with the salesman, parts guy and parts manager and the parts manager says that power folding trailering mirrors aren't available. I said dang it guys, do you actually work for Chevy?!! The mirrors are listed as an option, check www.chevrolet.com!! Parts manager went back to his computer as I talked to the parts guy. I gave him the part numbers that 15HDriver had provided me with. After some back and forth he figured out he could order them. Evidently he was trying to order a "kit" but had to order them separately. Then we started talking about wiring harnesses. I suggested they confirm that the harness installed with the now folding trailering mirrors would work, got a bit of a tap dance about unable to check which needs what, blah blah. I suggested they look at the work order to see what harness they installed last Tuesday and compare that part number with the harness needed for the power folding mirrors.

In the end the harness installed should be the one needed for the power folding mirrors. The mirrors have been ordered and the dealer is going to pick up the cost difference. This is the condensed version of the conversation, I was told some things that I would be surprised if they are true but end of the day the correct mirrors are coming and the dealer has stepped up. Now fingers crossed that everything works as planned.

As a kicker, they had the truck in the shop to apply the Perma Plate to the interior and I get a call from the service guy....when they moved the passenger seat fully forward in the process of whatever they were doing the seat motor quit working! They offered to pull a motor from an unsold truck on the lot to get me back on the road today so now awaiting another call. You gotta laugh otherwise you'd cry constantly. :)

• Like 1

This is correct. I just went through the same thing with my dealership. I asked for the standard mirrors to be swapped for the tow mirrors. Being knowledgeable about these trucks (unlike the people at the dealership) I asked before my service appointment if they had the CORRECT mirrors because I did not have the time to make multiple trips to the dealership to replace the wrong mirrors. They assured me that what they had was correct. Well, guess what? I got the mirrors that do not power fold ( which were in a kit). I would like to get them to change the mirrors but because they were at no cost to me, I will probably just keep what I have.

To continue my tale, as I was working with the parts guy the parts manager came back over and stuck his hand out and apologized. He told me that he had no idea that GM offered power folding trailering mirrors, that he had learned something new.

Perhaps a plus...when this is over I'll have a set of the DL3 power folding mirrors with harnesses to sell. Will post in the for sale area once I get 50 posts accrued.