Anybody Replaced HP fluid with Amsoil?

Anybody dumped the OEM HP fluid in the 8l90's for Amsoil Signature Fuel Efficiency ATS fluid yet? Just wondering if Placebo effect or people actually feel the Shifting has improved especially for the 8Speed boys/girls? Thanks...

I would advise against using it. Amsoil shows that fluid as being both Dexron 6 and HP compliant, yet Dexron 6 is NOT compatible with Dexron HP. I wouldn't run a "universal" fluid either.

GM had Mobil take over the Dexron HP fluids and the formula was tweaked for 2017. Its now in a Mobil 1 bottle, Mobil 1™ Synthetic LV ATF HP GM number 19353429.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually had my 17 6.2 8sp in the shop yesterday for a tcc shudder concern. they did a 3 times flush with Mobil 1™ Synthetic LV ATF HP GM number 19353429. I didn't think it would make a difference, but I did notice a change in the shifting and the shudder is gone. a extremely small amount can be felt (if you look for it) but I was told it should be gone in about 200 miles. I am very please how it came out. I don't know if the Amsoil fluid would do the same. They said service came via a TSB and I guess it wasn't cheap. The advisor said there was over 500.00 in fluid billed out to warranty.

We rarely kept our trucks over 100K miles. One 88 model Ford one ton stayed around for 280K. It was used to pull a fifth wheel camper and equipment. At 100K the transmission went out. We had just became Amsoil dealers. We added amsoil trans fluid and put another 180K miles on it. Made me a believer. I have similar results with their hydraulic fluid in hundreds of machines we used and sold.

Edited by KARNUT

Thanks! I noticed they "AMSOIL" made it look like it was backward compatible? I am under the impression it's not like the previous Dexron's which were.........

They claim there products meet or exceed OEM specs but they aren't a licensed substitute to the OEM fluids.

What is OEM HP fluid?

I am currently researching fluids and filters to buy for my 2017 5.3 :)

Dexron HP is an 8 speed 8L45/8L90 deal only. If you have a 6 speed 6L80/6L90 they use Dexron 6 still.

• Like 1

I actually had my 17 6.2 8sp in the shop yesterday for a tcc shudder concern. they did a 3 times flush with Mobil 1™ Synthetic LV ATF HP GM number 19353429. I didn't think it would make a difference, but I did notice a change in the shifting and the shudder is gone. a extremely small amount can be felt (if you look for it) but I was told it should be gone in about 200 miles. I am very please how it came out. I don't know if the Amsoil fluid would do the same. They said service came via a TSB and I guess it wasn't cheap. The advisor said there was over 500.00 in fluid billed out to warranty.

Yes, that TSB been around awhile on the flush and fill for 6.2L 8speed. It should be used on 5.3L too in my opinion. It seems the tolerances are so tight they shred massive amounts of clutch plate debris? I did mine @ 18,000 miles which was only the 5.3L & 8L90 but the improvement was almost Night/Day. I will do a complete flush/fill with new filter probably @ 50K. Glad you got yours done these Trannys when running smooth are pretty freaking nice!

Yes, that TSB been around awhile on the flush and fill for 6.2L 8speed. It should be used on 5.3L too in my opinion. It seems the tolerances are so tight they shred massive amounts of clutch plate debris? I did mine @ 18,000 miles which was only the 5.3L & 8L90 but the improvement was almost Night/Day. I will do a complete flush/fill with new filter probably @ 50K. Glad you got yours done these Trannys when running smooth are pretty freaking nice!

If they shred massive amounts of clutch plate friction material as you say, even if it smooths out after the flush, what does that mean for the longevity of the transmission, you've lost a lot of clutch material, sounds terrible to me, these 8 speed trans will be lucky if they see 100k miles.

If they shred massive amounts of clutch plate friction material as you say, even if it smooths out after the flush, what does that mean for the longevity of the transmission, you've lost a lot of clutch material, sounds terrible to me, these 8 speed trans will be lucky if they see 100k miles.

They are Rock/Solid you will blow DAS Motor up before spinning this thing. It's perfectly fine to shred the material and will be compensated appropriately through it's life. GM has PUT HP fluid inside for the .5% efficiency on MPG's gained and basically it's lifetime fluid. They are robust as shit.....

Good luck. I've had both the converter replacement with the new one and trans flush with the new good stuff. It did get better for a while but is back with a vengeance. Looking to figure out the problem. Thinking they might have a significant problem. It is very bad towing my trailer. Shakes like a dog pooping peach seeds

Good luck. I've had both the converter replacement with the new one and trans flush with the new good stuff. It did get better for a while but is back with a vengeance. Looking to figure out the problem. Thinking they might have a significant problem. It is very bad towing my trailer. Shakes like a dog pooping peach seeds

i still believe the fluid is the issue.......

• 1 year later...

I know this post is a year old but someone asked about the AMSOIL DEXRON HP.  I had it in my 2015 Sierra Denali 8-sp for over 60,000 miles, went in b4 10,000 miles and the dealer installed it at my request instead of the OEM brand. Not one problem what so ever, actually greatly improved the shifting and I noticed it ran about 20 deg cooler when towing.  Does not have to be licensed by GM to be a good product.