Desktop, Laptop, or what?

Noctua nice, seems I'm not the only one left using expensive air coolers instead of AIOs. Does it not clear the ram oriented the other way?

Sent from my Find7 using Tapatalk

It actually clears both ways. I just wanted to have to eject out of the top of the case, since I thought it would be less restrictive than trying to push it out of the 120mm rear fan.
CDP53KW.jpg
This cooler is awesome, it sits at 40C in gameplay.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here is the finished (for now) replacement:
Yqm2BSz.jpg
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X cooled by Noctua NH-D15
2X 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 RAM
ASUS GTX 1060 6GB
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Fractal Design Meshify C, 2X Noctua NF-P14s redux front fans

Need to upgrade that video processor to a 1080 or 1080 TI.

Can you not install a M.2 hard drive on that motherboard instead of the Evo SSD?

Never went to water cooler, they never hold up over time. I’ve got 4 fans running, 3 feeding the inside and one exhaust.

Looks nice! Too bad you went with AMD over Intel!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

Need to upgrade that video processor to a 1080 or 1080 TI.

Can you not install a M.2 hard drive on that motherboard instead of the Evo SSD?

Never went to water cooler, they never hold up over time. I’ve got 4 fans running, 3 feeding the inside and one exhaust.

Looks nice! Too bad you went with AMD over Intel!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prices on 1080s are crazy now, I'm going to wait on that a while. The 1060 can handle Ultra settings on every game I've played so far.

I already had the 950, I'm hoping to upgrade to m.2 once memory prices are down. This board has 2 m.2 slots.

I went AMD largely because of the Coffee Lake debacle. Meanwhile, AMD unlocks all their chips and is transparent about chipset compatibility timeframe (AM4 supported til 2020). AMD was a no brainer.

I have about 50% cpu usage in AC Origins so I can't complain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kstruckcountry said:

Prices on 1080s are crazy now, I'm going to wait on that a while. The 1060 can handle Ultra settings on every game I've played so far.

I already had the 950, I'm hoping to upgrade to m.2 once memory prices are down. This board has 2 m.2 slots.

I went AMD largely because of the Coffee Lake debacle. Meanwhile, AMD unlocks all their chips and is transparent about chipset compatibility timeframe (AM4 supported til 2020). AMD was a no brainer.

I have about 50% cpu usage in AC Origins so I can't complain.

Agreed, I got a killer deal on my Nvidia GEForce 1080 (way overpriced currently) - BUT I had a $250 gift card to Best Buy I won at a suppliers door party, so I figured I might as well.

The m.2 is phenomenal.  I've got the samsung 512 GB m.2 - I can hardly sit down before the computer is already booted up. 

But what do you need 3.4 GHZ of processing power for if you don't have a 1080 graphics card??  The 8 cores on that is nice.

I actually have the Intel i5 8400 Coffee Lake series, able to run 2 games with 3 screens running smoothly.  I've been following along with the microcode info, just waiting on a Bios update I believe.  Got mine in December before all of this came out.  Very interested in the i5 8600k now though.  It should drop in price once the i5 8600 comes out.

Agreed, I got a killer deal on my Nvidia GEForce 1080 (way overpriced currently) - BUT I had a $250 gift card to Best Buy I won at a suppliers door party, so I figured I might as well.

The m.2 is phenomenal.  I've got the samsung 512 GB m.2 - I can hardly sit down before the computer is already booted up. 

But what do you need 3.4 GHZ of processing power for if you don't have a 1080 graphics card??  The 8 cores on that is nice.

I actually have the Intel i5 8400 Coffee Lake series, able to run 2 games with 3 screens running smoothly.  I've been following along with the microcode info, just waiting on a Bios update I believe.  Got mine in December before all of this came out.  Very interested in the i5 8600k now though.  It should drop in price once the i5 8600 comes out.
I mainly got the R7 to futureproof, I shouldn't have to mess with it for a couple years and the price was right.

I am not sure when the next stage of gpus are coming out, but at that point I'll either update or grab a 1080 at a discount. I wish I'd bought one when they were cheaper.

• Like 1

Yeah that's what I have is a NH-D15. $88 and going strong since mid 2016. Only have 2 problems with it. My ram is too tall so I have to run it like you did in push/pull instead of push/push. For some reason mine whines in this setup once middle fan ramps up. I'll have to contact Noctua to get the AM4 mounting bracket when I build a new system.

I don't think pull is a bad way to set them up, should be easier to clean off dust.

The cooler I got is the SE-AM4 model, which comes with vertical and horizontal AM4 brackets, so that's an option if you want to keep the cooler on the old machine.

I do get some whine, but it's not noticeable if I have any audio running. My intake fans are louder.

It's not a bad option, but I'd rather run push/push to get rid of the whine. My rear exhaust fan could almost be the pull anyway. All I have to do is contact Noctua after I buy and receive the AM4 board/cpu to show them I bought it and they'll send me a bracket free. Or I can just buy a bracket from them before I upgrade. With the way component prices are continuing to suck I think my boat will be getting thousands of dollars of electronics before I spend a couple grand on a new computer build.

• 1 year later...