Which Engine Oil (conventional or synthetic)

38 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

What is interesting is how far are manufactures going to go in what oil they recommend?  GM with their new baby Dmax in the 1500 that is coming out this spring is running a dexos 2 0w-20 oil.  It is going to be a hard sell to the die hard diesel owners out there to run that oil spec.  

Yeah, 0w20 is really extreme.  I have gotten away fro the 40 weights and into the 30 weight oils for my various diesel needs, but a 20 weight is not going in any diesel I own.

What is interesting is how far are manufactures going to go in what oil they recommend?  GM with their new baby Dmax in the 1500 that is coming out this spring is running a dexos 2 0w-20 oil.  It is going to be a hard sell to the die hard diesel owners out there to run that oil spec.  

I’m with ya

But I don’t think the baby DMax will appeal to hardcore diesel guys...Average Joe Consumer probably uses the MFR reco, doesn’t really understand oil, and doesn’t give it a second thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2017 at 7:08 PM, WireBender said:

redwngr

Where I live it can be anywhere from below zero to above 100 degrees. You never know around here.

I am leaning toward going with the full synthetic and have been using Mobil 1 for several years. That narrows it down to:

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40

Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5W-40

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w 40

I will check and see what is available and prices in my area. I think any of them would be a good choice. I was not sure if there were any downsides to using synthetic oil in the diesel engines.

The Delvac ESP is a group 4 PAO stock vs the M1 Turbo Diesel is a group 3.  Both great oil.  I chose the ESP when I had a diesel.  Now I use Red Line 0w30 on my '17 6.0

On 11/5/2017 at 9:33 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Don't look now Cliff but we are singing the same song. In fact in my entire ranting the point has been "watch your six". 

BTW you do know that Pennzoil is part of Royal Dutch Shell, right? Which is also the Quaker label. Whack a Mole. :smash:

****************************************************************************************************

Quote from an earlier post of yours: A "lot of commercial truckers" is a relative comment.  There are over 2.5 million commercial trucks in the U.S and it is doubtful that 1% of them are running full synthetic motor oils.

So "it is doubtful" carries more weight than "a lot of"? How...exactly? I'm fairly certain that Shell is indeed selling all the Rotella T6 Full Synthetic they manufacture. Is that certain enough for you?

I should expound on what I stated.   Check with Speedco, TA/Petro, and commercial heavy truck dealerships and ask them the volume of conventional HDEO they sell and use for oil changes compare to synthetic.   Conventional still reigns supreme by quite a healthy margin.   Only a few O/O are using full synthetic and out of the thousands of trucking fleets, maybe a handful are and those are small fleets in the big scheme of things.  

Sure, Shell is selling the product, but not nearly at volumes compared to conventional Rotella.  Synthetic blend usage is on the rise, but full synthetic usage is barely a mark on the graph of overall HDEO oil usage.  Given the quality of synthetic blends nowadays and the length of oil change intervals recommended by the OEM's there really is no motivation for commercial users to make the move to full synthetic.  

Edited by Cowpie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Given the history of the Duramax being easy on oil, I recommend using an API approved 15W40 conventional HDEO.  Name brands or API approved store/private brands will do a good job in the Dmax.  

Personally, I watch for the oil rebates offered by the big three:  Delvac, Rotella, and Delo.  Currently, Mobil Delvac has killer rebates available through December 2019.  For example Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 has a $6/gal rebate.  Check out their promotions:

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/40-off-mobil-delvac

Make sure you check the list of approved retailers.  Also, if in doubt about a certain retailer, call them.

I can purchase Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 from an approved retailer on sale for $11.99/gal - $6.00/gal rebate = $5.99/gal cost after rebate.  Hard to beat that price for a respectable HDEO.

• 7 months later...