2017 Silverado 5.3L Cold Air Inductions dyno run

Very disappointing to see in the video that they disconnected the airflow sensor wiring connector when swapping the intake. Should have pulled it out and left the wiring hooked up Once they did that the results are meaningless (testing is flawed) as the airflow sensor will have to run several cycles to re calibrate. If you guys are listening get that truck back up there and do several pulls then simply disconnect the airflow sensor and plug it back up and do a few pulls and you will see different HP readings probably about the same as with the new intake................ Its the LITTLE things that GIT U Come On Man

post-127028-0-11057600-1499300202_thumb.jpg
Oh and please find a 6.2 truck to try it on if you can us poor ole 6.2 owners would like to have some real world numbers too!! Just please do not unplug the airflow switch as that will cause inaccurate readings.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:15 PM, Dnt said:

Very disappointing to see in the video that they disconnected the airflow sensor wiring connector when swapping the intake. Should have pulled it out and left the wiring hooked up Once they did that the results are meaningless (testing is flawed) as the airflow sensor will have to run several cycles to re calibrate. If you guys are listening get that truck back up there and do several pulls then simply disconnect the airflow sensor and plug it back up and do a few pulls and you will see different HP readings probably about the same as with the new intake................ Its the LITTLE things that GIT U Come On Man

Oh and please find a 6.2 truck to try it on if you can us poor ole 6.2 owners would like to have some real world numbers too!! Just please do not unplug the airflow switch as that will cause inaccurate readings.

I'd be interested to see how you'd do the install without disconnecting the wiring.  

They also don't say where in the RPM range the increase was.  If it is near the top it does no good unless you are hammering the shit out of the truck.  However, a nice mid-range RPM gain shows up in day to day driving.

15 hours ago, Husker_1911 said:

On 7/7/2017 at 10:15 PM, Dnt said:

I'd be interested to see how you'd do the install without disconnecting the wiring.  

Just pull the 2 screws that hold the air sensor in the intake and pull it out without unplugging it from the electrical connector then slide it back in still connected and put screws back in.   

• Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:22 PM, Dnt said:

Just pull the 2 screws that hold the air sensor in the intake and pull it out without unplugging it from the electrical connector then slide it back in still connected and put screws back in.   

I saw a video from GuitarmagedonZL1 where he did just that.  He did disconnect the battery... which I'd do...  had a bad experience with a 93 GMC and an MSD where I did not.  Lesson learned there.

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 6:17 AM, Husker_1911 said:

I saw a video from GuitarmagedonZL1 where he did just that.  He did disconnect the battery... which I'd do...  had a bad experience with a 93 GMC and an MSD where I did not.  Lesson learned there.

Don't quote me on this... Pretty sure every manual out there says to disconnect the negative battery cable. But even with the battery disconnected, I think the computer still knows if the maf was disconnected and throws a code. That's why your not supposed to disconnect the maf, just unscrew it from the housing and transition it.

But regardless, even though in that test the maf was disconnected it shouldn't matter. The results would be off anyways. The computer hasn't learned the difference in airflow from the new intake/filter. And when it does, there goes any power increase. Needs a tune...

Top end power is the best kind of power! the 6.2 has enough in the middle, fights for traction as is.

Edited by M1ck3y

6 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

Don't quote me on this... Pretty sure every manual out there says to disconnect the negative battery cable. But even with the battery disconnected, I think the computer still knows if the maf was disconnected and throws a code. That's why your not supposed to disconnect the maf, just unscrew it from the housing and transition it.

But regardless, even though in that test the maf was disconnected it shouldn't matter. The results would be off anyways. The computer hasn't learned the difference in airflow from the new intake/filter. And when it does, there goes any power increase. Needs a tune...

Top end power is the best kind of power! the 6.2 has enough in the middle, fights for traction as is.

second paragraph is the truth about mods without tuning. Chevy's will show a short term gain as the A/F ratio is temporarily leaned out. then over a relatively short period of time the A/F ratio will return to wherever it was stock and it will just suck more air and more fuel untuned and run basically the same, just use more gas. experienced this with any mods without a tune.

In fact pretty much all mods are a waste without a tune to correct the fuel ratio and play with timing to maximize gains. Wont run much better until this is done, then once tuned they start to run like they are supposed to uncorked. night and day better. and usually gain efficiency at the same time.

The truck is still trying to maintain the same AFR. Cooler/denser air means more fuel can be added to maintain the same ratio, which means more power. Yes, to get the most benefit out of almost any mod a tune is required but if you were going to add....lets say headers in a few months, I would wait and tune it once I had finished.

There are always a handful of people telling everyone else what is a waste of their money. I know many people feel the factory stereo is more than sufficient, I happen to disagree with that...does that mean I wasted MY money upgrading the stereo. Nope.

• Like 1

Guys I have a cold air induction's on my 6.2. Build quality was crap, do a search you'll find my post. But yeah its on my truck still, and no plans to take it off right now. Do I think it added power by sotp feel... nope, feels like I lost power (especially down low-mid) But in my head if I want to think I gained 14 hp why not...

Pretty sure the ecm can manipulate the throttle body etc. to operate within spec. But on that note, during the winter feels like the truck has another 50hp because of the cold air. Same for the stock intake.

I like how the intake sounds, and kind of funny but the sense of decreased power actually made the 8spd seem to shift better, and afm more bearable with my exhaust.

I have headers to put on/tune but it looks like I might have to sell my truck...

Edited by M1ck3y