Rebates & Discount off MSRP

5 hours ago, friedlumpia said:

More details please...are you talking about the employee pricing?

I think it's a combo of that plus GM trying to help dealers get rid of 17 inventory by discounting, I picked up a Yukon Denali 4x4 for 15% off MSRP, plus 0% interest for 72 mos and a $700 Costco gift card. Its probably the best deal structure I've ever done on a new car. 

Never hurts to as

49 minutes ago, Dnt said:

15% off MSRP + zero percent financing for 6 years is a good deal.  Makes me wonder if you could get a new 2017 truck for + 30% off at this time if paying cash.......

Never hurts to ask, but 30% is a boat load off MSRP, would be shocked if you could get close to that. Plus I've found that dealers really don't care if doing cash or not these days.

It was easy and straightforward in June 2017  to get 22% off a new 2017 Denali paying cash so I figured at end of year it might be a little easier to "work a deal"?  Believe what you will  but the harder the dealer tries to convince me that cash is not of any value just convinces me more that they are totally full of crap LOL.  reminds me of the older sales "associate" that was attempting to helping me find a truck with the specs that i wanted. (they did not have one with trifold steps)  i was explaining that I wanted the trifold steps and he looked at me and said Quote: "Boy you do not want those things THEY WILL POP OUT AND BREAK YOUR LEG"  Car and Truck salesmen are not on my trusted information resource list LMFAO        

On 8/7/2017 at 10:00 AM, B_SKY33 said:

No, I actually told them I would consider financing with the dealer if they could beat the rate's I can get on my own. My credit union was offering 2.9% which to me is good enough not to haggle with the dealership over the rate. Also, credit unions typically have better pricing on extend warranties and GAP insurance if that's something you're interested in.

As for the shopping, There's several excuses you can give them as to why you cannot come in to speak in person. I've found the ones that work the best are something like:

- I'm traveling for work and would like to get this all worked out ahead of time so I can just come in and pick it up when I get back

- My schedule is so busy / too many meetings / working off hours / etc

- or my favorite, i'm coming in from out of town and would like to get this all worked out ahead of time so I can just come in and pick it up when I get there. I don't want to waste my time driving down there if the numbers don't make sense.

They're always going to be reluctant to work with someone who doesn't come in person but if you have a good reason you have a shot. My other advise is always try to communicate by email (or even text message if that is an option, but I prefer email) that way you have a paper trail and if they send you the numbers you can shop around.

It took me about 2-3 weeks to bounce around and find the best dealer to work with and the best pricing with that last week being all number crunching and working out the details. They were doing everything possible not to put anything in writing but " I work in finance and the end price doesn't make sense to me unless I can see the how we got there. Sorry I'm a numbers guy and this is how it makes sense to me". Once they sent me the numbers we worked a few small details and closed the deal.

The key it to be patient, when I first talked to the dealer I purchased from they wanted about $3000 more than I bought for. But when he didn't hear back from me initially, he emailed me and I told him "sorry it seems like there's better pricing out there" and that got him moving on the numbers. His answer was " send me what you got and I'm sure I can match it or do better"

Its all a game man, just have to know how to play it. In the end, I'm happy with the price I paid and glad I lined up the financing on my own

The tactic here is to get it through their heads that they need to quote their best price upfront (Best man wins). Matching a price makes them second best.

On 12/31/2017 at 8:44 AM, Dnt said:

It was easy and straightforward in June 2017  to get 22% off a new 2017 Denali paying cash so I figured at end of year it might be a little easier to "work a deal"?  Believe what you will  but the harder the dealer tries to convince me that cash is not of any value just convinces me more that they are totally full of crap LOL.  reminds me of the older sales "associate" that was attempting to helping me find a truck with the specs that i wanted. (they did not have one with trifold steps)  i was explaining that I wanted the trifold steps and he looked at me and said Quote: "Boy you do not want those things THEY WILL POP OUT AND BREAK YOUR LEG"  Car and Truck salesmen are not on my trusted information resource list LMFAO        

Just a note that a bank draft-i.e. cash from your bank account is the same to the dealer as handing him $50,000.00 green ones. A bank draft is instantaneous-and far more secure than accepting cash. If you choose to finance- a dealer gets a fee for placing your loan with a bank, credit union, whatever.

Cash is of very little value in a vehicle transaction. I purchased a "certified used" truck at a great price and financed through a credit union at a whopping 2.99% APR. It was the dealers choice of financing institutions and the APR was right. I have no issue with the dealer getting a referral fee from the credit union.  So I was approved on the spot and I'm sure the dealer got a wire transfer for the purchase of truck in 24 hours or so.

Where is the advantage to cash for the dealer?

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

I do not consider Cash to be just coins and paper currency. I consider Cash to be either a Check / Credit card payment / Money order / electronic transfer or of course coins and paper currency, basically any form of payment that gets the dealer paid immediately.  Like any business auto dealerships operate off the same principle as most others, cash flow is the life blood (fuel) of the business.  As to whether or not it is more advantageous for the dealership to get cash directly from the buyer or a secondary source that would depend upon the situation. I would suspect that for a finance company to setup the account and produce the monthly billing statements etc that someone is paying for that service. Maybe you can do a smack down once in a while and really win? I don't know.   Old saying is "When you play with snakes do not be surprised if you get bit"     

I bought mine the end of September and got a deal I'm happy with.  I could have saved a little more (maybe) if I had waited, but there would have been no inventory.  I bought the last 2017 he had with the options I wanted and all the two Chevy dealers near me have (and have had since mid-Oct) are 2018s.

Looking for a Tahoe or Yukon for the wife. Prices aren’t where I need them to be and to find a white one with a second row bench seat is like a damn rarity. What the heck?!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I am new here.  

Forgive me if i asked this question in the wrong section. 

If you email Ford and ask them for a brochure for example a new F150, there is normally a $1000 discount coupon in the back of the book.  

Does anyone know if GM have any kind of such coupons available? 

• Like 1

I am new here.  
Forgive me if i asked this question in the wrong section. 
If you email Ford and ask them for a brochure for example a new F150, there is normally a $1000 discount coupon in the back of the book.  
Does anyone know if GM have any kind of such coupons available? 

That’s a pretty sweet brochure!! I’ve never heard of such a thing. I highly doubt GM does anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk