I'm going to be looking for a 45-70 later this fall/winter...always wanted a lever action 45-70, finally decided to buy one.

I know Marlin was acquired by Remington (aka, Remlin). Any thoughts on that quality? Buying new would be preferable, but if the quality isn't there; I could hold out for a JM-stamped Marlin.

Another thing I'm looking at would be a 450 Marlin, which would have to be a JM-stamped Marlin...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I would be wary of the newer Marlins. A friend of mine got a 39 as a gift 5 years ago, and to this day it doesn't work right. I realize you're looking at an entirely different gun, but from what I've seen, there are better options and Marlin's quality is poor across the board.

If it were me, I'd look for an older gun or pick another brand.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's the problem, I think there are two other lever action 45-70s, Henry (which is fugly) and Rossi (which I've heard mixed reviews on).

So it's pretty much narrowed to either a new Remlin or a used Marlin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

I have a marlin 1895 GBL 45-70 works perfect. It is a new one. You will be fine buying a new one. That being said Marlin did go through a rough patch and produced some trash rifles for a period. Henry’s are all American made so that’s another choice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived