Free Onstar Basic plan expiring? what happens next

On 5/17/2019 at 2:10 PM, jrob56 said:

Can I just watch an ad when I start my truck?

Hahaha I would so do this if it was free but you watch an add for 30 seconds..

On 5/17/2019 at 2:10 PM, jrob56 said:

Reviving this, my 2014 just had the Basic Plan expire. Looked at plans on Chevy site and Basic not offered. Started a chat and was told it is 14.99. To reactivate press the OnStar button in the truck. Laughable!

Correct -- they eliminated the "Basic" plan.  If you want remote start and lock/unlock from the app you need to get the "Remote Access" plan which they advertise on their website for $14.99/month (or $149.90 per year if you pay all at once).  I was able to get OnStar to go a little lower than that (see below).

6 hours ago, aseibel said:

I plan on having a nice chat with them the day my basic plan expires. I know they will wheel and deal with you if you threaten to walk. I thought somebody said they already got a deal of like 99$ for a year of the Remote Access plan. That's down to $8.25 a month. Still too much, but a lot better than the $15 they are advertising.

That was me (I was calling for my parents' vehicle).  They paid $99 for an entire year of "Remote Access".  I tried to get OnStar lower since my parents are retired and on a fixed income but they wouldn't budge any more.  My parents use the remote start a lot so they decided to go with that.  After taxes it came out to around $8.50 per month.  We just need to call back in a year before it auto-renews at the full rate.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sk said:

That was me (I was calling for my parents' vehicle).  They paid $99 for an entire year of "Remote Access".  I tried to get OnStar lower since my parents are retired and on a fixed income but they wouldn't budge any more.  My parents use the remote start a lot so they decided to go with that.  After taxes it came out to around $8.50 per month.  We just need to call back in a year before it auto-renews at the full rate.

this is exactly the problem. they took away a free feature, so we would have to give them our credit card info to keep using it. they're happy give out a promo rate to get you into their billing system. then BOOM, next year rolls around and you're being charged full price. I'll probly just go without. I refuse to let onstar get away with that garbage. I've heard lots of bad reviews about them not cancelling when you try to get out as well. I'll spread negative publicity about them anytime onstar is brought up on this forum. Please don't pay their asking price for this, demand it be given free for the life of a vehicle!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

They wouldn’t reactivate for me at a reasonable price. $14.99 is ridiculous and GM should be ashamed, but they are not.  They don’t care about their customers.  I only wanted the app to lock and unlock my vehicle and $14.99 is ludicrous.  GM’s management is out of touch. They’re infotainment system is about 5-10 years behind everyone else, except for Ford, as they suck too.  This was first and last GM...back to Toyota and with any luck I hope i can find one that is not made in America. 

2 hours ago, Scott666 said:

They wouldn’t reactivate for me at a reasonable price. $14.99 is ridiculous and GM should be ashamed, but they are not.  They don’t care about their customers.  I only wanted the app to lock and unlock my vehicle and $14.99 is ludicrous.  GM’s management is out of touch. They’re infotainment system is about 5-10 years behind everyone else, except for Ford, as they suck too.  This was first and last GM...back to Toyota and with any luck I hope i can find one that is not made in America. 

Hope you find a Toyota. BTW....glad my truck was made in America. It's been a great truck.

Edited by 15 Z71
Spelling

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 6:13 PM, Scott666 said:

When u look for a Toyota, look for one where the Vin begins with a “J” ones starting with a number were made here in America ??

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kristy Tim said:

When u look for a Toyota, look for one where the Vin begins with a “J” ones starting with a number were made here in America ??

Good call, but I am not even sure how many (models) are even made there, then shipped here on their truck line.