Automatic Car Washes

I stopped doing the 2 bucket wash and went with a one bucket wash with multiple micro fiber mitts/rags. That way you are sure to not introduce any dirt you just wiped off with the mitt into your wash water. I also use a pressure washer and foam cannon. Use a micro fiber cloth to dry along with a little blower I picked up from Costco, lol...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very happy with the auto wash I go to. They use good stuff. Add to that, they have a great undercarriage wash that no amount of hand washing is going to beat. Gotta have that to wash off all the salt brine crap we get here in the winter.

I'm very happy with the auto wash I go to. They use good stuff. Add to that, they have a great undercarriage wash that no amount of hand washing is going to beat. Gotta have that to wash off all the salt brine crap we get here in the winter.

That's one thing I'm glad about, no salt on the roads here.. they just use sand.. :D

I use blue wave 20$ a month unlimited, pull around use free vacuum wipe down. My latest DD is black sometimes go through 3 times a wk. No problems with scratches. I recently used spray on wax for the first time and it looks brand new. All those hours I wasted detailing, I guess it made me feel good.

Doesn't have to be! One of these really changes the game:

http://www.autogeek.net/dp-turbo-car-dryer.html

Yup, not the same one, but I bought a small blower at Costco a while back, was in their auto section isle. Use it to blow water off and between panels, etc.

I still use a micro towel to finish off the little water that's left.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Except for manual washing out wheel wells, engine compartment, underside, my vehicle all go thru the automatic wash. That is the least of my worries. Several miles of gravel roads every time I leave the driveway is more of a problem that an automatic car wash.

If you have all the time in the world then hand wash. Most of us don't so we do what we have to do. I have had no problem with touchless or brush washes. It is, after all, a truck. Powerful leaf blower makes for a quick dry. Nor one of those weenie handhelds.

I am fortunate that the auto wash in town has a blow dry end cycle. What is left will be dry by the time I drive 15 miles to the house out in the country. And when I get home, the truck will be a little dirty again. Perils of living on gravel roads. Clean is something none of my vehicles experience except on road trips.

The water at my place is so freaking hard the only way to hand wash and not get water spots is if I install a resin type filter for the final rinse.

I go to the car wash instead. The touchless do an OK job. You need a bit of friction and a cloth or sponge to really clean the surface. I prefer the automatics with the brushes, which are actually closed cell foam pads, not bristle brushes like 20 years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Hand washing is all great and what not, until it's winter. Maybe with a heated garage and floor drain, but that is a luxury I cannot afford. Plus I am driving a truck, not a Ferrari. Auto washes do suck at bug removal though.....gotta solve that problem.

let me paint you a picture. i just got back from mudding and driving all over the beach. my truck is covered in caked on dirt, rocks, mud, and sand. I got through the car wash, you come through right behind me...

ill only use an automatic wash if i am desperate and planning a full detail within a month after.

Archived