Sign in to follow this  
Gorehamj

Injuries Related to Pressure Valve Reported At Detroit-Hamtramck Plant

post-139450-0-00709200-1499354960_thumb.jpeg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7-6-2017

An accident at the General Motors Detroit-Hamtramck plant left three workers with injuries. AP reports that pressure from a valve caused the injuries. Reports of an "Explosion" may have been an exaggeration.

The Detroit-Hamtramck has been building cars since 1985 and is now the primary location for Chevy Volt production. The plant is a bit unusual in that it builds cars for three brands, Buick, Cadillac, and Chevrolet, and it builds both front and rear-wheel drive cars.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      6-12-2018

General Motors is scaling back the production of its sedans to match the declining sales the company has been seeing for those models. One example is the Lordstown, Ohio production facility that builds the Chevrolet Cruze. Last year the Lordstown plant had about 4,000 workers building the sedan. That count will be reduced to about 1,500 after the latest buyouts. The plant first eliminated the third shift. That reduced the jobs in the plant by about 1,000. Now GM is planning further cuts to eliminate the second shift. 

To encourage workers to quit, rather than be laid off, GM is offering workers a financial incentive to move on to other work or to retire. Local news affiliate WFMJ reports that those workers who qualify for and accept an early retirement will receive a $60,000 incentive payment. Workers who opt to quit their union job will receive a buyout of between $50,000 and $5,000 depending upon their length of service with the company.  

With unemployment near historic lows in America, 3.7% as of the last report, 4.0% in Ohio overall, this would seem to be the best of times to be making the difficult transition to new work. In Trumbull County Ohio, where Lordstown is located, the unemployment rate is higher than the national average at 5.5%. However, one neighboring county, Geauga County, has a 3.8% rate.  

Local employment groups are stepping up to help out. Last year, the Youngstown/Warren Regional Chamber provided a list of companies in the area that were hiring to GM and United Auto Workers.
      “We would certainly be pleased to offer that service [again],” said Sarah Boyarko, the chamber’s senior vice president of economic development. “I think there are employment opportunities for these folks when they go through that separation, and oftentimes, it’s a matter of knowing where to go.”

Year to date sales of the Chevy Cruze were down 26% year over year when reported by GM in March. The Cruze competes with cars like the Honda Civic line and the Toyota Corolla line. This month, Toyota released an all-new Toyota Corolla Hatchback. Its gasoline engine is expected to be rated at 36 MPG combined, higher than the current Cruze diesel hatchback. It is also expected to be quicker and will have more standard safety features included than the Cruze.   

Related Stories:
      GM Announces Factory Location For Self-Driving Vehicle Production
      GM Will Add 700 Jobs To Crossover Plant in Tenn. - Partly To Build Vehicles For Export - Guess Where To
      GM Picks Kansas, Rather Than China, For Next Premium Crossover
      FCA Moving Ram HD Production From Mexico to Warren Michigan
      Canadian GM Strike Over - Guess Who Won?

• By Zane

Zane Merva
      Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
      4/18/18

General Motors has announced today that Johan de Nysschen is "leaving the company immediately."  

de Nysschen came to Cadillac from Infiniti and was famously responsible for the brands advantageous and controversial renaming. He then proceeded to do the same at Cadillac, renaming all of their cars and struggling with sales of the once leading luxury brand. 

Steve Carlisle has been named as Senior Vice President of General Motors and President of Cadillac moving forward. 
    • By Josh_perry24
      Hey!  As the title states, I have a standard/regular cab 2014 Silverado.  I'm looking for a set of new or near new chrome door handles,  Key on one or both sides, I guess it doesn't really matter.  Would also consider buying a full set of 4 if the price was right, though I only need the two.  Thanks for any offers!
    • By Tyler Sywyk
      Hello, I own an 08 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel Crew Cab Long box pick up, it's throwing a display message, but not giving me any codes, the message is service trailer brake system, it used to show that message and then I had it brought into the shop the second of July and they replaced the trailer break relay in the rear, had to change out some eye connectors at the fuse box. They also replaced the fuse. Worked great again from then to about a three weeks ago and this was including an 11 000km trip towing the trailer, it brought the message up again. The truck had been sitting and driven every once and a while, a bit of idling this winter as well, but no towing. so I replaced the fuse because it looked blown. After replaced it work fine again no more message thought maybe wet weather caused it. Now unfortunately now again yesterday I went to use it again and the message comes up, it was just recently used a few days ago and no message, today we have some dense fog as well as some rain. I think it only happens when it rains heavy or fog.. I am not entirely sure on that though. I replaced the fuse in the fuse box for the (ITBC) The one I changed out before to get it to work, and this time it did not work and nothing changed on the dash message still up.  I can more than easily replace the Relay without any issues, but I don't want to do that if it is just going to create the exact same issue. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Also on a side note, whenever I start the truck it puts out grey smoke until it has warmed up passed about 79-85 degrees Celcius (174F-187F), which is normally after driving for about 5 mins 10 at most or letting it high idle until that temp, it also does smoke when driving until warmed up. it never puts out black or blue smoke. Its grey, just as it is on a cold day in a gas engine. today we've reached the highest temp lately about 8 degrees Celcius and it still smoked. It never did this in the summer or fall just after it got cold. So I am just wondering if this is normal or if something is causing this to happen when it shouldn't be. Could it be something  as simple as it needing an oil change? Or also does it need a long drive at highway speed to deal with burn cleaning the DPF? I am a new owner to this pickup, and it is my first year with it so I am new to diesel's and don't know what to expect from them.

Any help Is much appreciated!

• By Leviaaronjones
      I've got a 2014 5.3L Silverado and yes it has the AFM I want it gone but for now I have to deal with it. I had a flowmaster 40 series installed and resonator cut off, and it is very quiet. I see no flapper valve so I am assuming that he cut it off to (which I was unaware of a flapper valve at the time). My question is, why is it so quiet? Does the AFM make that big of a difference In sound even when in v8? Is the flapper valve still there? Did the guy do something to make the truck quieter (we had a small disagreement while he was installing the system, and after he was done he said "if you ever want it louder we can cut off the 3rd cat"). Any help is greatly appreciated and I am going to try and put pics in the comments cuz it will not let me in the the post.