Front end noise

• 3 months later...
On 4/23/2018 at 3:36 PM, yamaha0343 said:

Bumping this thread, as mine is doing this as well. A single pop/clunk every time I back out of my driveway. Sounds like drivers side front suspension area.

Just to update, finally brought my truck in last week. They found a couple loose bolts on the steering stabilizer that I guess were that way from the factory. 

They got me in and on my way in an hour and the noise hasn't returned. Steering feels better than new now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Had a similar clicking sound from left front wheel when the wheel turns past say a certain clock point you'd get 3 clicks, but only when the steering is turned 3/4 or full left or right, front or back travel.  Repair invoice reads "Retorque control arm bolts per PITS5533B", & retorque both the frame crossmember.  Sound is now gone.   

• Like 1

Great thread here folks! Tightened my front cross member and got rid of most of the noise I was hearing. Now I only get a clunk/pop on the dirvers side when turning into my driveway and some times when going over a speed bump while turning slightly.

Any ideas? I am going to tighten the control arms, is that as easy as just tightening them up? I don't want to screw anything else up while attacking this problem. 

On 10/18/2018 at 9:56 AM, rsay3 said:

Great thread here folks! Tightened my front cross member and got rid of most of the noise I was hearing. Now I only get a clunk/pop on the dirvers side when turning into my driveway and some times when going over a speed bump while turning slightly.

Any ideas? I am going to tighten the control arms, is that as easy as just tightening them up? I don't want to screw anything else up while attacking this problem. 

I had popping that I think has been isolated to my hood latch. I could somewhat create the sound by turning the wheel while stationary, but could never get it to occur with the hood open while someone else was at the wheel. Got me thinking. Pushed on the top edge of my grill with hood closed and sure enough it popped pretty readily. Must be some flex in the hood. Shot some lithium grease into the latch and onto the latch bar. Haven't heard it since. 

While driving, it occurred in similar situations to what you describe. 

I installed the cognito upper control arms and man what a difference! The popping sound is gone, and the entire front end feels softer on bumps and quieter. Apparently I had more issues with the bushings than I thought. I guess we just get used to things over time and don't realize it.

37 minutes ago, rsay3 said:

I installed the cognito upper control arms and man what a difference! The popping sound is gone, and the entire front end feels softer on bumps and quieter. Apparently I had more issues with the bushings than I thought. I guess we just get used to things over time and don't realize it.

Did you put new tires on as well

1 hour ago, 2016LTCC said:

Did you put new tires on as well

Yes sir! Love the Ridge Grapplers! Amazing how quiet they are. I know they are new but still was expecting a lot more noise from them. Ride is fantastic. So Happy with both the tires and upper control arms!

1 hour ago, rsay3 said:

Yes sir! Love the Ridge Grapplers! Amazing how quiet they are. I know they are new but still was expecting a lot more noise from them. Ride is fantastic. So Happy with both the tires and upper control arms!

Those are good tires. Reason I asked if you put new tires on is in my experience the better ride comes from a new set of tires rather than shocks or control arms. Not that they dont help but this is a common misconception.

I agree, but in my case the bushings were apparently shot. So when I replaced the upper control arms I did drive the truck that day and the next before putting the new tires on. I think the ride soften in that it didn't clunk at every bump anymore. It was silent once again!

• 5 months later...
On 7/7/2017 at 1:00 PM, ridethedesert said:

It didn't upload the video for some reason

Mine has started doing this very thing in the last few days.  Is there is a fix?  Read through the thread but it was difficult to know what solutions were for which issue since it seemed like different sounds were being discussed here...but mine does this consistent noise as I turn the steering left or right. What's the fix? 

• 3 weeks later...

I had same issue they had to replace rack n pinion thankfully I have a buddy at dealer that did it under warranty since I have leveling struts it voids warranty in other dealers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, texasaggies16 said:

Are you leveled and is that covered under the powertrain?

I have the Fox 2.0 shocks in the front. They raised the front 1.5 inches. I had them put on at 14,000 miles and the steering didn’t go bad until 65,000 miles. So I highly doubt the shocks did anything. I had purchased an aftermarket extended warranty when I bought my truck and they have covered everything, no questions asked. I paid $700 for the warranty, to date they’ve paid out $5,000 in repairs. I’m not sure how GM warranties the steering assemblies but I do know their is a TSB floating around telling dealers that the level kits with the shim insert cause problems. 

• Like 1