Wood vs Aluminum framed travel trailers

if all metal is paying more than wood.. keep looking.

the last use for wooden beds was steel hauling, keeping frequency of trailer away from the stuff getting hauled.

there is also flat trailers and pre sprung...they flatten as you load.

itis a weird world. find reputations of brands.

I like the all steel, with an empty middle. they ar elightweight, and even half ton can chug a 7000 pounder on the back of it.

a weird thing can happen with wood, I just did this today.

I bought sound deadening siding, 1/2 inch thick is 61 pounds a 4x8 sheet.

at just 240 pounds or so for 4 of them, about 2 feet hanging out the back.. the truck squatted more than a 300 pound tongue on a 22 foot length boat hauling.

steel can be used to help springs, wood is used to deaden. it is very comfortable however. Trucks don't like it for long term.

long story short..at the same weight, it will look and feel heavy.

I'd go all metal.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't quite follow the previous message. Nonetheless, life has temporarily suspended my hopes of purchasing a travel trailer. My search taught me a great deal and I will resume my search much better informed.

• 3 weeks later...

For many of the reasons mentioned, I am taking a more serious look at Arctic Fox. A stronger structure for bad roads. 4 season usage - outstanding insulation. Great aesthetics.

Delamination of fiberglass walls was a problem given to me whenever I was looking seriously at aluminum skinned, wooden framed trailers. It was not considered a problem when I looked seriously at fiberglass walled, aluminum framed trailers. Sales staff will promote their brand and construction of trailer often by highlighting potential problems of the competition. This is to be expected and this is why discussions like this are useful.

I was in the same boat two years ago. I really didn't want a fiberglass skin because of delamination. But to get an aluminum frame, it almost had to be a fiberglass skin. I struggled with this for a couple months, then discovered that some manufacturers had left the fiberglass-over-plywood for solid fiberglass sheet, made the decision a whole lot easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Lance claims to be using a process with Azdal (I think that is what it is called) that eliminates risk of delimitation.  As for aluminum siding, I was delivering a load in central SD a few weeks back and a transport driver with a trailer was there at the time.  The wind had ripped the aluminum siding off the TT.  I didn't get the brand name, wish I had.  Not sure what he did, whether take it on to dealer or back to factory.  

Archived