Dear GM, Don't put Ranchos on anything

I am sure the Ranchos GM put on my 2500 are for looks, and come at a good cost point for GM. I'd easily pay 300 more dollars for Bilstein 4600s on my truck. I am going to do it anyway because the Ranchos suck!

This is my second truck with them, first one was a GMC 1500 z71. By the second year 3 out of 4 had failed. 2 were leaking oil and one the valving was shot and cavitated. Swapped out for Bilsteins and all was good.

Traded up to my 2500 with z71 again. Less than 1000 miles I get more movement than I want when I hit an overpass on the highway. This time I didn't hesitate, swapped the Ranchos for Bilstein 4600 and it rides like it should, like a truck.

Rancho should understand this is not doing them any favors either. I wouldn't buy their products after this experience even with other folks using their higher end products with good results.

And I don't think I am alone, there were threads in the 1500 section about the same thing.

I'd easily pay 300 more dollars for Bilstein 4600s on my truck. I am going to do it anyway because the Ranchos suck!

And I don't think I am alone,

You're the only one, walmart has managed to stay in business because "the american people" demand cheap (trash from asia). lol

Edited by It's Tim

You aren't really expecting a 2500HD to have the same road control as a 1500 are you? Its all stiffer...frame, axles, springs, tires, etc. My HD was a Z71, rode the same as a regular 4x4. Me thinks there is a bit of placebo effect here.

Edited by 15HDriver

You aren't really expecting a 2500HD to have the same road control as a 1500 are you? Its all stiffer...frame, axles, springs, tires, etc. My HD was a Z71, rode the same as a regular 4x4. Me thinks there is a bit of placebo effect here.

In no way am I expecting to ride like a 1500, quite the opposite. I expect the ride to be stiffer and I would expect more damping control. These Rancho to me, feel like a car shock on a 3/4 ton truck. This was only amplified when I towed my camper. It shouldn't oscillate after hitting an overpass unloaded.

And there is a very noticeable improvement in control with the 4600 over the Rancho. So I doubt its placebo. And this is the second issue for me with the same brand. I stand by my statement that the Ranchos are sub-par.

I have never heard anything but good about Bilstein shocks but having said that, the RV forums for people hauling campers love the Rancho 9000s with 9 adjustable ride settings. I put a set of those on my 2008 Silverado 3500

Duramax Dually and on the front I set those shocks at the stiffest setting. With the Duramax up front you need good shocks. The OEM shocks were completely worn out at 40000 miles, the truck would nose down on moderate braking and the ABS brakes would kick in on the rear wheels. After putting on the Ranchos, the truck felt new again and the brakes were excellent again. I am pretty sure my OEM front shocks will have an easier life with a 6.0 up front.

I am guessing GM pays less then $3 for the complete junk Rancho shocks, I order Bilstein 5100 or Fox 2.0 shocks when I order a new truck.

Having Bilstein 5100 shocks saved me from being in a serious accident this year, they truly keep the vehicle planted allowing for steering control and controlled braking.

Not only do the help with larger tires but I easily justify the cost as it is a safety factor where my family is involved.

Factory/stock shocks suck!

I will lend you my 72 K10 for a few weeks, you can drive that baby on some forest roads while you have it. Once you get back to driving anything built since 1990 or so, you will swear you are driving a Cadillac! You might miss that cushy bench seat, though :)

• Like 1

I will lend you my 72 K10 for a few weeks, you can drive that baby on some forest roads while you have it. Once you get back to driving anything built since 1990 or so, you will swear you are driving a Cadillac! You might miss that cushy bench seat, though :)

I agree with you completely, I had several over the years. And I do appreciate the newer truck's capabilities and level of comfort doing it. But honestly that is not my point.

I don't mind a truck that rides like a truck. But stiff suspension or soft, I expect it to dampen the suspension oscillation. After I hit a bump I don't want it to keep bouncing for a mile. A 7200 lb trailer only makes it worse.

I agree with you completely, I had several over the years. And I do appreciate the newer truck's capabilities and level of comfort doing it. But honestly that is not my point.

I don't mind a truck that rides like a truck. But stiff suspension or soft, I expect it to dampen the suspension oscillation. After I hit a bump I don't want it to keep bouncing for a mile. A 7200 lb trailer only makes it worse.

I get it, I was just hinting around at how much better things are now, which you recognize. When you are paying the kind of money you pay for a truck these days, the suspension needs to perform better than yours does from your description.

I get it, I was just hinting around at how much better things are now, which you recognize. When you are paying the kind of money you pay for a truck these days, the suspension needs to perform better than yours does from your description.

you are exactly right. I do miss my 77 GMC. LOL I don't miss replacing U-joints and worn out drive shaft splines.

• Like 1

Traded up to my 2500 with z71 again. Less than 1000 miles I get more movement than I want when I hit an overpass on the highway. This time I didn't hesitate, swapped the Ranchos for Bilstein 4600 and it rides like it should, like a truck.

After putting 2700+ miles a week in my semi truck, I am always confused what folks mean when they say stuff like, "like a truck". I don't want my 2500 to ride anything "like a truck" after being beat up all week in the semi truck. So I always wonder what folks are getting at by those comments. I was left confused at first, until several posts later I kind of gathered what was being alluded to.

Must be a fluke. I have had a couple of 2500's and neither really oscillated on bumps. Now I have to admit the back end was not all that great on my present ride, until I installed some Sumosprings on the back and the ride is noticeably better all the way around, loaded or empty.

After putting 2700+ miles a week in my semi truck, I am always confused what folks mean when they say stuff like, "like a truck". I don't want my 2500 to ride anything "like a truck" after being beat up all week in the semi truck. So I always wonder what folks are getting at by those comments. I was left confused at first, until several posts later I kind of gathered what was being alluded to.

Must be a fluke. I have had a couple of 2500's and neither really oscillated on bumps. Now I have to admit the back end was not all that great on my present ride, until I installed some Sumosprings on the back and the ride is noticeably better all the way around, loaded or empty.

We don't care about your semi, how it rides, or anything else.

The factory/Ranco shocks are junk, they are known for the seals blowing out and loosing all their oil around 10,000 miles. The rebound sucks and they become unsafe.

• Like 1

I realize you don't give a rip, but the contention remains.... when someone states that something should be "like a truck", perspective is everything. I still am not quite sure what that is supposed to mean. Trucks are in Class 1 thru Class 8. "like a truck" can have a very broad meaning. Just because you chose to be contentious about it doesn't clarify the issue.

The Ranchos that are a part of my 2015 2500 still are doing fine. If they are "junk", then they should have fallen apart already, especially with almost 30,000 miles on them. While I don't tow much to speak of, I have hauled to the pickup gross limit many times. I bought it primarily for hauling, and some snowplow work, and not towing. And it gets used off road on the property many times, and there is 2 miles of rough gravel road between my driveway and the nearest hard top road. So I have put the maximum on those factory shocks several times, with no indication of shocks failing.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 2