Dear GM, Don't put Ranchos on anything

Yeah, tire air pressures can take out suspension components a little quicker if the tires are inflated higher than is required for the load on them. Maybe the reason I haven't had issues with the stock shocks is that I follow the tire maker load / pressure charts for the tires I am using. Not the OEM recommendation, which is based on max GVRW of the pickup. Properly inflated tires will absorb a lot of road shock, whereas tires that have more air in them than is required for the load on them will transfer more of the road to the suspension components and shorten shock, bushing, etc component life.

• Like 1

Just purchased a set of Bilstein 5160 resi front shocks, will be mounting them soon, interested in the difference between the stock non Rancho shocks, and these units. Have run Bilsteins on several other trucks, mid sized units, and they worked great. We'll see how they feel under 7,500 lbs of truck...

A lot of people seem to forget that the first part of your suspension is the tires, that's the first thing that any bump hits, is tire. So, if you have a big wheel and small tire sidewall, less bump absorption is available, no shock can compensate for that.

• Like 3

Shocks have nothing to do with airbags, being a super steering wheel holder I figured you would know that.

While airbags are great they do nothing for dampening and rebound/keeping the axle planted. Airbags and shocks have nothing in common.

Once again you bring your semi and super trucking into another thread...

So you think that any shock valving works with any spring? Well...air bags are springs. They do 'nothing for dampening" ? Hum, but have a marked effect 'ON dampening". Valving isn't one size fits all. It isn't Walmart. It's physics.

Your rage is getting the better of your power of reason. Relax. Take a breath. Cliff isn't the problem.

Just purchased a set of Bilstein 5160 resi front shocks, will be mounting them soon, interested in the difference between the stock non Rancho shocks, and these units. Have run Bilsteins on several other trucks, mid sized units, and they worked great. We'll see how they feel under 7,500 lbs of truck...

A lot of people seem to forget that the first part of your suspension is the tires, that's the first thing that any bump hits, is tire. So, if you have a big wheel and small tire sidewall, less bump absorption is available, no shock can compensate for that.

Keep us informed afrer install... Thanks

• Like 1

Tough thing is that ride quality is purely subjective.....In my area, the roads are really rough to the point of making the truck pretty jittery. The highway oscillations that everyone is talking about is understandable...but if you cure the oscillations, chances are the truck becomes jittery over smaller bumps. Had Bilsteins (4600) on my 2002 and 2004 HD, Monroe Reflexes on my 2007 LBZ, and now Rancho 9000XL's, and Sulastic shackles on the same LBZ and each setup had it's good and bad traits....

Add tire pressure adjustments and it becomes even more subjective....

My 2015 has these Z71 shocks and I'm almost too tired to experiment.....

Any reason why you didn't continue using Bilsteins? They were on the only Z71 I've owned (a '94 K1500). W/ all the complaints I've read about the Ranchos (I'll see how they hold up on my brother's '16 2500HD), I figured I go w/ the Bilsteins when I upgrade/replace the OEM shocks on my truck.

So you think that any shock valving works with any spring? Well...air bags are springs. They do 'nothing for dampening" ? Hum, but have a marked effect 'ON dampening". Valving isn't one size fits all. It isn't Walmart. It's physics.

Your rage is getting the better of your power of reason. Relax. Take a breath. Cliff isn't the problem.

Where did I say any shock valving works for any spring? That makes zero sense.

Do you understand how shock valving works? You do understand a airbag is just a bag filled with air right?

If you think a airbag is the same thing as a shock then try taking a top heavy load around a corner with shocks then try it with airbags, the bagged suspension will push the air to the side with the least weight and the vehicle will roll over...

Unless of course you have individual airbags and valves with means you don't have onboard and and that sucks.

Where did I say any shock valving works for any spring? That makes zero sense.

Do you understand how shock valving works? You do understand a airbag is just a bag filled with air right?

If you think a airbag is the same thing as a shock then try taking a top heavy load around a corner with shocks then try it with airbags, the bagged suspension will push the air to the side with the least weight and the vehicle will roll over...

Unless of course you have individual airbags and valves with means you don't have onboard and and that sucks.

Didn't say air bags were shocks son. I said they are springs. Air is a very good spring and is very progressive. They use air springs to control the valves in Formula 1 motors where coils. leaves or hairpins would fail. Your knowledge a mile wide but an inch deep. I don't do ignorant conversations. Get educated and try again.

Someday you will have to show me how my semi truck that is 100% on airbags will roll over with a top heavy load. The air bags are metered per axle, but not side to side as you inferred in your post. I have had full air bag suspension on my heavy commercial trucks since the early 90's with not a hint of what you suggest. You are letting your outrage get the better of your reasoning. You might want to step back and take a breath.

I was on the road again this weekend. Two hours one way towing our travel trailer over a mix of 4 lane and 2 lane and various conditions from smooth to potholes.

The Bilsteins 4600 I installed on my truck controlled the vehicle 100 times better, more planted, and stable.

Someday you will have to show me how my semi truck that is 100% on airbags will roll over with a top heavy load. The air bags are metered per axle, but not side to side as you inferred in your post. I have had full air bag suspension on my heavy commercial trucks since the early 90's with not a hint of what you suggest. You are letting your outrage get the better of your reasoning. You might want to step back and take a breath.

And once again you talk about class 8 steering wheel holding on a pickup truck forum.

These are not class 8 trucks and the onboard air system is completely different. Onboard air system on a pickup truck will send air to the bag with the least resistance...

Any reason why you didn't continue using Bilsteins? They were on the only Z71 I've owned (a '94 K1500). W/ all the complaints I've read about the Ranchos (I'll see how they hold up on my brother's '16 2500HD), I figured I go w/ the Bilsteins when I upgrade/replace the OEM shocks on my truck.

The Bilsteins were nice and firm...almost too firm for the roads we have here. If I lived in the warmer climate regions, the Bils would have been nice. The winters here heave the roads up in my area, and they have no intention of fixing any roads anytime soon...The adjustability of the Ranchos works for me...

And once again you talk about class 8 steering wheel holding on a pickup truck forum.

These are not class 8 trucks and the onboard air system is completely different. Onboard air system on a pickup truck will send air to the bag with the least resistance...

I generally don't like to see people make fools of themselves, but occasionally it is a pleasure.

You assertion is based on the old 2 way manual air bag setups that initially came out. You have not availed yourself of information to make for an intelligent conversation. Air Ride Technologies and others have had 4 way, dual air pressure / ride height systems available for pickups for quite a few years. The same technology used in heavy commercial trucks. These all eliminate everything you are contending are a problem with air bag systems on pickups.

But that is what one would expect from someone who is ignorant about such things and wouldn't make a pimple on a truck drivers butt.

Edited by Cowpie