Silverado Vibration Makes News

I bet ten bucks the 2019's are going to be vibrators to. They keep trying to make every part lighter, thinner, stiffer ect , this and sourcing parts from too many vendors with poor quality control issues. I used to be a plant manager at a textile company and I can guarantee you that our QC was 100% better before we went thru our ISO 9000 certification. There is probably not just one problem causing all our vibe issues, but a millimeter here on this part, an ounce difference on that part, a "whatever" there on the next thing... well you get the idea. All these very minor variances which can all be in spec for each part in itself can add up to just enough to cause problems.

2a252085892a9789e8d657c7117bc1be01f5d73c

• Like 4

The problem is they are not going to buy 200,000 truck owners a new replacement $500 drive shaft unless it is a safety concern. 200k x 500 = $100,000,000 plus labour. Until these driveshafts start coming apart at high-speed and kill a few people, it will be our responsibility to fix it. My 2015 is fine, but I just bought a 2014 WT that does it fiercely, the highway to my house is pulverised (ground up) right now so when I test drove the truck for two days it was undetectable. Now on a highway trip I noticed it is almost unbearable when passing vehicles. I will be getting a machine shop to check the shafts balance and trueness. I laughed because I thought I was a lucky one, now I am in the same boat as all you guys, at least its just a beater work/winter truck.

I do not agree that if not a safety concern MFG. will not or should not do a recall and fix. No way should a vibration or shake be determined acceptable. When you as a consumer buy new you are Paying the long dollar for said vehicle . Henceforth common sense has always prevailed that said new vehicle should not shimmy , shake , or vibrate down the road like some worn out ragged out 200,000 mile clunker. Any and all MFG. that take the mindset that if it does not become a ''safety'' concern than we will let it slide ? Something is clearly out of balance and it is more than a driveshaft or axle imo.

The problem is they are not going to buy 200,000 truck owners a new replacement $500 drive shaft unless it is a safety concern. 200k x 500 = $100,000,000 plus labour. Until these driveshafts start coming apart at high-speed and kill a few people, it will be our responsibility to fix it. My 2015 is fine, but I just bought a 2014 WT that does it fiercely, the highway to my house is pulverised (ground up) right now so when I test drove the truck for two days it was undetectable. Now on a highway trip I noticed it is almost unbearable when passing vehicles. I will be getting a machine shop to check the shafts balance and trueness. I laughed because I thought I was a lucky one, now I am in the same boat as all you guys, at least its just a beater work/winter truck.

I have a 2017 and had a driveline shop check it out. Besides removing .0060 of runout they driveshaft balanced perfect.... still have the vibration.

Edited by UrbanRage

• 1 year later...

My new 2018 Silverado High Country has been in the shop about two weeks. I reported some steering wheel vibration at medium to high speeds and asked if they would check balance. Road force balance indicated the R/F was waaaay out of spec and they ordered a new tire. Day later - took it back for the tire to be changed, and I haven't seen it since. To their credit, the dealership is pulling out their hair trying to get this fixed for me, in fact it was the tech that wanted to keep it because he wasn't happy with how it was after replacing the tire. I think now he is on a personal crusade! 

But while I'm not unhappy with the servicing dealership, I am frustrated with GM that it cannot be diagnosed and fixed. I honestly thought the "shake" issue was resolved before the 2018MY, and I am still determined to remain optimistic. I paid a sh!tload of money for my High Country, and I don't think I'm out of line to have expectations. In fact, my truck has the $7,000 High Desert package option which includes magnetic ride control. Those are extremely expensive optional shocks... and they expect me to be happy with vibration?? 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:57 PM, jth87 said:

I'm currently going through arbitration for this same issue. I've been dealing with this vibration for months. I came across this story on a Kansas City news station and it's good to see the message getting out there.

http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/investigations/general-motors-customers-frustrated-over-shaking-in-pickup-trucks

Saw this when it came on the local news here In Kansas City.