Remote Tailgate Release

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2017 at 7:04 PM, beavo451 said:

So, I really liked the feature on the Ford F-150 where you can release the tailgate using the key fob. I wanted to do it on my 2017 Silverado. I found a past topic on this forum that mentioned it, but had no instructions. I was able to piece together enough information from various forums and came up with a working solution for anybody that is interested. I have attached a diagram for making the connections. I tapped off the power lock in the tailgate and used a T-connector to tap power from the trailer wiring.

T-Connector: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009FJ38Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Video showing it working:

The PAC TR-7 counts a set number of pulses within a defined time. When it detects the programmed number of pulses, it sends a pulse to the actuators to open the tailgate. I have mine set to count four pulses in three seconds.

Parts needed:

2 Heavy Duty power door lock actuators

2 Bosch style relays

PAC TR-7

Wire

The major hurdle was that the power lock system is "energized" at six volts and sends a 12 volt pulse for locking/unlocking. The PAC module detects the 6 volts as a "pulse" and thus would lock out the timer. So it would open the tailgate every fourth or whatever number that was set. Using 2 relays solved this problem.

post-172883-0-19632200-1499986440_thumb.jpg

The more I think of this, the more I want to do this.  I see you posted up what you used for the actuator.  Can you post the rest of the parts you actually used, like the wire and the relay?   I think I want to give this a shot.

On 5/13/2018 at 8:08 PM, Rock1500 said:

This is a pretty cool idea, only trouble is i have a habit of hitting the open or close button multiple times so i would accidentally open this all the time. 

How long does it take to set this up though?

Depending on your skills, I would estimate around half a day.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rock1500 said:

The more I think of this, the more I want to do this.  I see you posted up what you used for the actuator.  Can you post the rest of the parts you actually used, like the wire and the relay?   I think I want to give this a shot.

Wire was just some 14 or 12 gauge speaker wire I had laying around.

The relays were generic bosch style relays.

Here are some weatherproof ones that would be a good idea. https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Automotive-Waterproof-Relay-Switch/dp/B074FSZWVT/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526388191&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=bosch+relay&psc=1

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beavo451 said:

Wire was just some 14 or 12 gauge speaker wire I had laying around.

The relays were generic bosch style relays.

Here are some weatherproof ones that would be a good idea. https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Automotive-Waterproof-Relay-Switch/dp/B074FSZWVT/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526388191&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=bosch+relay&psc=1

Thank you very much for the info, I appreciate it.  I will look into this more and see if I can risk doing this.  The more I watch your video, the more i like it.  It's a fairly cheap project that would come in handy.

I have some 20 AWG wire that i used for my LEDS in my truck bed, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AHRKXDE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That should be fine to use with the 12 volt system.

15 hours ago, Rock1500 said:

Thank you very much for the info, I appreciate it.  I will look into this more and see if I can risk doing this.  The more I watch your video, the more i like it.  It's a fairly cheap project that would come in handy.

I have some 20 AWG wire that i used for my LEDS in my truck bed, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AHRKXDE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That should be fine to use with the 12 volt system.

20 AWG might be a little small for power to the actuators.

• 9 months later...
On 7/13/2017 at 7:04 PM, beavo451 said:

So, I really liked the feature on the Ford F-150 where you can release the tailgate using the key fob. I wanted to do it on my 2017 Silverado. I found a past topic on this forum that mentioned it, but had no instructions. I was able to piece together enough information from various forums and came up with a working solution for anybody that is interested. I have attached a diagram for making the connections. I tapped off the power lock in the tailgate and used a T-connector to tap power from the trailer wiring.

T-Connector: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009FJ38Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Video showing it working:

The PAC TR-7 counts a set number of pulses within a defined time. When it detects the programmed number of pulses, it sends a pulse to the actuators to open the tailgate. I have mine set to count four pulses in three seconds.

Parts needed:

2 Heavy Duty power door lock actuators

2 Bosch style relays

PAC TR-7

Wire

The major hurdle was that the power lock system is "energized" at six volts and sends a 12 volt pulse for locking/unlocking. The PAC module detects the 6 volts as a "pulse" and thus would lock out the timer. So it would open the tailgate every fourth or whatever number that was set. Using 2 relays solved this problem.

@beavo451

I love this! Thank you for your post, very much appreciated.

I'm have all the parts and will start this mod soon. I've never worked with anything remotely close to the TR7 before and would appreciate your help; what programming mode/feature number did you use in you mod and how did you program it (manual says connect 12V and Ground and pulse the brown to ground X times to select feature number X but just wanted to make sure before I * something up)? I'm reading up on the various modes/feature and it's so versatile, it's confusing me.

Also, I was wondering, once the TR7 gets the 4 trigger signals like in your video, wont it keep supplying 12V power to the 2 actuators constantly? Wont that prevent the tailgate from latching once closed shut (after loading groceries in the bed for example)?

Thank you in advance,

Jay

15 hours ago, jaytee10 said:

@beavo451

I love this! Thank you for your post, very much appreciated.

I'm have all the parts and will start this mod soon. I've never worked with anything remotely close to the TR7 before and would appreciate your help; what programming mode/feature number did you use in you mod and how did you program it (manual says connect 12V and Ground and pulse the brown to ground X times to select feature number X but just wanted to make sure before I * something up)? I'm reading up on the various modes/feature and it's so versatile, it's confusing me.

Also, I was wondering, once the TR7 gets the 4 trigger signals like in your video, wont it keep supplying 12V power to the 2 actuators constantly? Wont that prevent the tailgate from latching once closed shut (after loading groceries in the bed for example)?

Thank you in advance,

Jay

It is #14 in the manual: Pulses to pulse output.

To program it, just touch the wires together the specified number of times. Each touch is a pulse.

Pulse output means it sends a pulse of power and stops.

• Like 1

i have a 2018 denali, if i hold my lock or unlock button my mirrors fold in or out. would this mod still work for me? i read the thread and did not see any mention of this mod stopping other features from working. 

also did you just plug in the t-connector or did you use it and splice wires?

cool, thanks for sharing