Does it bother you when trucks are optioned a "wierd" way?

This is just a random shower thought I'd figure I'd sound the horn on. I'm kinda strange when it comes to vehicle options, I've always been EXTREMELY picky when it comes to the options and colors on my own vehicle (I usually want a base model but in a non-"base model color", which is hard when it comes to trucks which are almost always white in base models). But another thing that's always been wierd to me are how strange some trucks are optioned. For example, a guy I work with has an absolutely loaded F-150 XLT, 4x4, Crew Cab, but with the base 3.5L engine. Had a family member with a loaded Camaro that was also just a V6. Anyone else scratch their head at this stuff lol? (Further thinking it might just be me and tech though, because to me a Work Truck with rubber floors, crank windows and a 6.2 w/ 4x4 would be my dream truck!)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some guys here like stripes, some like red or black, some like 5.3 or 6.2 with big tires and a lift or lowered.

And all of us are willing -to a point - to pay for those likes.

The marketing folks at the large capitalist, stockholder-owned corporations have figured out what % of folks that will buy a truck in the next 12 months will buy what exact option combo. With a calculated and acceptable variance.

If you can find another, what 2000 or so buyers?, that want a 4X4 WT with a 6.2, they might build some for y'all.

Interesting thought.

I am glad a dealer in Camrose Alberta ordered a wierd truck. To date I have seen maybe two 2014 reg cab GMC short box trucks configed like mine! That is why I decided to buy out the lease and keep it!

If there's an option package, weird or not, someone will buy it eventually.

I hear ya though. I bought a Camaro in 2010 and got the SS. Why would I want anything less at that point? Drives me nuts when I see people in Mustangs or Camaro's or whatever other spots car and it's a base model. It's like they are saying "Hey, look at me, I own a __________! But nobody will ever know it's the base model."

Then again, to each their own. If you like it and it's in your budget, then fill your boots.

It doesn't as much bothers me but it's gets me thinking why not spend the extra cash and get something nicer? I could have bought a LS regular cab but for couple thousand more I got a nice LT with mostly everything besides 4x4, Z71 package, and parking sensors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

If there's an option package, weird or not, someone will buy it eventually.

I hear ya though. I bought a Camaro in 2010 and got the SS. Why would I want anything less at that point? Drives me nuts when I see people in Mustangs or Camaro's or whatever other spots car and it's a base model. It's like they are saying "Hey, look at me, I own a __________! But nobody will ever know it's the base model."

Then again, to each their own. If you like it and it's in your budget, then fill your boots.

When it comes to me and sports/muscle cars, base models don't really bother me; I would drive a base Camaro or Challenger. The reasoning is because with haggling and discounts, it's a $20k car that gets 30mpg and has 300hp with a modern V6. What I don't get is what my family member did and got a Camaro with every tech and luxury option you could get, but got the V6 engine. It was still about a $45k car. I would rather get a $30 basic SS/GT/RT with a V8. I'm not trying to say my opinion is better than anyone else's, I'm just trying to see other folks' logic in what upgrades come "In order", so to speak. For me, a truck or muscle car should have the V8 as the first upgrade before anything else, and that's coming from me who is perfectly fine with a V6 truck. I use my powertrain every time I drive my vehicle, everything else is secondary because I may not use it as often.

I can agree on the rubber floors, we get luxury carpet in these trucks then spend $100 or more to cover it up to never be seen again.

I bought my son a 2002 Camaro striper for collage, it had their high end radio. I would have loved to have the GM V6 in my 74 SS nova, I think it had 160 HP in the 350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bothered? No. The one thing i don't get about our trucks is why doesn't the Denali come standard with the 6.2? If you can spen Norh of $50K on a truck, I'm pretty sure the argument of having to buy Premium fuel doesn't, or shouldn't apply.

Bothered? No. The one thing i don't get about our trucks is why doesn't the Denali come standard with the 6.2? If you can spen Norh of $50K on a truck, I'm pretty sure the argument of having to buy Premium fuel doesn't, or shouldn't apply.

My guess is fuel economy. I'm a member of a couple of truck forums, and people get riled up all the time about people being concerned about gas mileage in trucks. However, according to everyone I know who works in the auto industry, including engineering and design as well as sales and dealer mechanics, 98% of truck customers' #1 concern is gas mileage.

Doesn't bother me. My truck is my daily driver and is strictly for house hold purposes. Not work. So give me the leather, Bose audio, and all the rest of the goodies. If I wanted a 'work' truck, I'd option and order one to my liking. The reality is that a large percentage of these new trucks are going to owners like me. Home owners that always find the occasional use for a truck so they're optioning many as such.

According to most who have owned both 5.3s and 6.2, the mpg difference is negligible. But as we've seen from manufacturers, the EPA rates them on model fleet averages, but i get what you are saying. Still would most people spending the kind of money on a Denali care about $10 more per fillup? Most likely not.

Seems like they can't make the 6.2 fast enough. Otherwise offer them on everything. I'm sure they could make them run on reg gas and up the HP like the do with E85 on 93 gas.

Archived