Bilstein vs Fox

If fox 2.0 and bilstein 5100 are the only two choices you wish to look at, I would say the bilstein are the better buy for the price.

Evidently, the bilstein are a heavy duty shock made for all-terrain not just off road. Also they are self adjusting to the terrain, as well as the ride height can be adjusted from 0-2.75.

I only have an LT, so I'm sure the Rancho's would be better than what I have :lol:

I had a truck with Z60. The front shocks would let the front end get out of control on the freeway dips/bumps. The shocks just didn't have enough damping. That was a GMT900. 5100s tightened it up without making it harsh. But I kept it low. Raising The A-arms changes their angles and puts a different leverage in the system which acts like an increased spring rate. The higher you go, the stiffer the suspension.

I keep intruding with slightly off-topic-but-still-related comments. Sorry.

There is a good bit of difference between the Bilstein 4600 and 5100. Both, IMHO, are better than the Rancho Z71 shock/setup.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/bilstein-5100-vs-bilstein-heavy-duty.cfm

• Like 1

Fox 2.0s on all 4 corners and a 2" block in the back cost me under $1k with alignment. Did the install myself.

Aren't most people taking their Bilstein 5100s to shops to get their spring seated on the strut? Good thing about Fox is they come set to 1.5-2" of lift out of the box.

But as everyone else says, the 2.0s ride plush on the road, planted for bumps and turns, and off-road it handles excellent. Can't comment on the 5100s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've run both 5100 and Fox. The best way I can compare the two (which really isn't fair) is to say the 5100s are like a dogfishhead 60 minute IPA, while the Fox is like a 90 minute IPA. For the hop-heads out there, you'll get the gist.

Edited by pcruis1

I've run both 5100 and Fox. The best way I can compare the two (which really isn't fair) is to say the 5100s are like a dogfishhead 60 minute IPA, while the Fox is like a 90 minute IPA. For the hop-heads out there, you'll get the gist.

So fox is just plain better? Lol

Anyone have a total install cost for the 5100s for a better comparison? That would include buying the 5100s for all 4 corners, and then paying a shop to seat the coils on the strut, then installing them yourself?

We have guys with the Fox 2.0s, Fox 2.5s w/ UCAs, Bilstein 5100s, and Bilstein 4600s. Would be nice to see all 4 different total prices of installed @ home prices.

I think I paid $325 for the Bilstein 5100 front and rear. My local shop quoted me $450 to install the bilsteins with an alignment. My buddy had a spring compressor so I ended up doing the install myself and getting the alignment for $80. The same shop quoted me $250 to install the fox coil overs and shocks with an alignment.

Edited by Alexantics

I paid $300 for my full set from a member here. It came with the factory springs and set at the highest setting (which is what I wanted). Installed it myself... which was easy since the springs were already on.

I paid $175 for a lifetime alignment. In case I wanted to change the suspension, I can get it aligned for free. So $475 for me. I have my stocks with their springs in the garage if I ever want to revert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/18/2017 at 9:25 AM, pcruis1 said:

I know this is an old thread... but you just told me EVERYTHING i needed to know! haha

Fox 2.0 should just not be an option IMO, they aren’t good enough to justify the cost over the bilsteins.

IMO, you either go with the bilsteins, and if you want more than that, you go straight to a full coilover and fox 2.5’s, king, etc.

So your options are $350ish for the bilsteins, and unfortunately unlike most mods, there is nothing progressively better for more money. There is just a lot better for a lot more money.

So $350 or $2k+ lol