In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

UofAZCats Victory Red Rally Silverado

UofAZCats

I had always liked the look of colored brake calipers.  One of my boys got me the Duplicolor Brake Caliper painting kit for Christmas last year.  Given you can’t drive the truck for at least 24 hours after painting I just had not found the time to tackle this project until this week.  One of my boys is out of town and we were able to use his truck for the week.  This gave me the opportunity to finally get this done.

Getting all the prep work done took some time.  All the research I did before getting starting emphasized prep as the biggest factor in getting a good result.  I cleaned the calipers at least three times each starting with Brakeleen and Adams Wheel Cleaner before sanding with 80 grit and then 400 grit sandpaper before finishing up with the t Duplicolor cleaner that comes with the kit.  The kit is brush paint kit so I didn’t have to mask much though.  One garbage bag each wheel was all I did for masking.

As recommended in my research I did not use the provided paint brush and got a better one from Lowe’s.  The paint is very thick.  I probably put on too heavy a coat on for the initial coat.  Part of that is that as I tried to avoid brush strokes I kept putting on more paint to try to smooth out the paint.  Overall it did not come out very smooth but unless you are up close you don’t see the imperfections.  If it bothers me, I have read that it can be sanded down.  I’m going to give it a couple of weeks to see what I think.

PXL_20210910_020735677.jpg

PXL_20210910_020732083.jpg

Edited by UofAZCats

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to make a change and took off the chrome bug deflector.  It really changes the look and I really like it.  Just worried about chips so I ordered the form fitting bug deflector from AVS that tapes to the front face of the hood.  Before I put it on I am going to get it painted red to match the truck.

Before:

PXL_20211002_142718027.thumb.jpg.61aa623b789d6dea4b918b6bbe786328.jpg

After:

PXL_20211002_145529849.thumb.jpg.f5080eabc63abd8e0b9ab1f42b6baa73.jpg

• Like 1

Picture of the painted caliper once the truck was put back together (note this taken was before I removed the bug deflector).  I was not entirely sure how they would look but I am really happy with them.

PXL_20210918_215810437.thumb.jpg.ed399d974065538b0901bb41b37f4fb5.jpg

• Like 1