2017 Tahoe Premier terrible ride quality

I hate it when going over a bump and the rear bounces through a couple of oscillations. I haven't driven the PR suspension.

Yeah I also don't like it when any vehicle bounce. I'm used to a controlled recoil, for lack of a better explanation. The PR bounces approximately 3 times before maintaining controlled suspension. For the most part I've learned to adjust to the PR, the only times it impacts me now is when I hit a bump at highway speeds and the road curves at the same time. There is one spot on a main interstate in LA that's a killer, will scare the life out of folks just passing through.

I have a 2015 Yukon Denali with 22s and am not impressed with the MR either. It rides and drives very rough, and the steering is squirly. My husbands 2017 Sierra 1500 SLT premium rides and drives 100% better. My moms 2015 Tahoe LT also drives and rides much better.

So much so, Im thinking of trading my Denali for the 18 Yukon SLT premium. Any thoughts?

Edited by mandals0810

I have a 2015 Yukon Denali with 22s and am not impressed with the MR either. It rides and drives very rough, and the steering is squirly. My husbands 2017 Sierra 1500 SLT premium rides and drives 100% better. My moms 2015 Tahoe LT also drives and rides much better.

So much so, Im thinking of trading my Denali for the 18 Yukon SLT premium. Any thoughts?

I had the '15 Denali and was unimpressed with the ride. Too harsh, had other issues too, mainly the trans. I just traded into another '17 Denali XL and it is nicely improved as far as the comfort of the mag ride and seat softness. Has apple CarPlay too. Overall not earth shattering but it is improved and I am happier with the '17.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2017 at 8:59 PM, seamus2154 said:

I had the '15 Denali and was unimpressed with the ride. Too harsh, had other issues too, mainly the trans. I just traded into another '17 Denali XL and it is nicely improved as far as the comfort of the mag ride and seat softness. Has apple CarPlay too. Overall not earth shattering but it is improved and I am happier with the '17.

What type of issues did you have with the trans?   My torque converter went out at ab 32k miles, and seems like since they replaced it when I’m in a lot of stop and go traffic or just pulling off or starting off mine “growls” in V4 mode at about 1250RPMs. Growling is the best way to describe the sound it makes.  Also similar to a log truck.  Lol

On 10/12/2017 at 9:04 PM, mandals0810 said:

What type of issues did you have with the trans?   My torque converter went out at ab 32k miles, and seems like since they replaced it when I’m in a lot of stop and go traffic or just pulling off or starting off mine “growls” in V4 mode at about 1250RPMs. Growling is the best way to describe the sound it makes.  Also similar to a log truck.  Lol

My trans would shudder and was worse if towing. I also had a delayed engagement when I put it in drive or reverse, which drove me nuts! I would put it in drive and just wait for it to engage, ridiculous. That involved taking the trans out and replacing the stator shaft. That growling is normal the people that complain usually drive too nice. When I hear mine growl (V4) I just give a little more gas and it's gone. I adjust my style. Can't fight the power! LOL If you want the good gas mileage growling is part of it.

21 hours ago, seamus2154 said:

My trans would shudder and was worse if towing. I also had a delayed engagement when I put it in drive or reverse, which drove me nuts! I would put it in drive and just wait for it to engage, ridiculous. That involved taking the trans out and replacing the stator shaft. That growling is normal the people that complain usually drive too nice. When I hear mine growl (V4) I just give a little more gas and it's gone. I adjust my style. Can't fight the power! LOL If you want the good gas mileage growling is part of it.

Oh I forgot- you went for a 17......  lol.   But you said it growls too????   

Edited by mandals0810

11 hours ago, mandals0810 said:

I’m wondering if the 17s & 18s are experiencing this type of trouble.   Thinking about an 18....   but moreso leaning toward a Mercedes right now.   

I traded my S550. I really miss it. MB are awesome.  I have no issues with the 17 and it is very improved. But I am still pretty new. There have been some 17 complaints, but not like the 15's. I find the 6.2 /8 speed Denali to cover alot of bases and kinda of unmatched. After disappoinment in my "15 Denali I considered everything out there. In my community there is every high end vehicle out there. So my neighbors and friends were part of my search and survey. Believe me I was up for a change!

--I hated the controls inside the Escalade. Just retarted. Liked the outside though. But had to spend alot more to get what Denali came with standard. 

-- Range Rover too many issues, short wheel base, less room, not a tow vehicle, terrible fuel mileage.

-- BMW X5, nice, great interior, again not a tow vehicle less room, Never own a BMW w/o a warranty!

--GL Mercedes -AWD not for me, very nice, close to 100K with options, again not a great tow vehicle, Being a longtime MB owner I know it cannot be owned out of warranty

Overall I needed a vehicle with presence, class, room(dog, kids,traveling) and good easy towing and appreciate good fuel mileage. Wanted 2wd and no sunroof. (live in south Florida--Africa hot!) While I did narrow down to Denali and MB GL the GL was quite a bit more and did lack in towing and room. I found the Denali XL to be the Mac Daddy of trucks/SUV's. My issue is when I want to tow my race car 4-5 states away I don't want a battle with the truck as I have had in some vehicles and GM 5.3's. I pack the entire truck, hook up and go with no issues and still have room. Gets great mileage for a tow vehicle, very comfortable, and looks awesome with 22's. 

I really like the X5 and GL but the Denali XL checked ALL the boxes. Also having maintained GM trucks my whole life, not worried about keeping it out of warranty.

If I was never towing anything The GL would have been a big consideration but the Denali still has more presence, better mileage, and is a cheap keep which if kept matters. Owning a MB or BMW means trading up as soon as warranty is up. Been there done that several times! The GL is a nice truck though, Good luck

20 minutes ago, seamus2154 said:

I traded my S550. I really miss it. MB are awesome.  I have no issues with the 17 and it is very improved. But I am still pretty new. There have been some 17 complaints, but not like the 15's. I find the 6.2 /8 speed Denali to cover alot of bases and kinda of unmatched. After disappoinment in my "15 Denali I considered everything out there. In my community there is every high end vehicle out there. So my neighbors and friends were part of my search and survey. Believe me I was up for a change!

--I hated the controls inside the Escalade. Just retarted. Liked the outside though. But had to spend alot more to get what Denali came with standard. 

-- Range Rover too many issues, short wheel base, less room, not a tow vehicle, terrible fuel mileage.

-- BMW X5, nice, great interior, again not a tow vehicle less room, Never own a BMW w/o a warranty!

--GL Mercedes -AWD not for me, very nice, close to 100K with options, again not a great tow vehicle, Being a longtime MB owner I know it cannot be owned out of warranty

Overall I needed a vehicle with presence, class, room(dog, kids,traveling) and good easy towing and appreciate good fuel mileage. Wanted 2wd and no sunroof. (live in south Florida--Africa hot!) While I did narrow down to Denali and MB GL the GL was quite a bit more and did lack in towing and room. I found the Denali XL to be the Mac Daddy of trucks/SUV's. My issue is when I want to tow my race car 4-5 states away I don't want a battle with the truck as I have had in some vehicles and GM 5.3's. I pack the entire truck, hook up and go with no issues and still have room. Gets great mileage for a tow vehicle, very comfortable, and looks awesome with 22's. 

I really like the X5 and GL but the Denali XL checked ALL the boxes. Also having maintained GM trucks my whole life, not worried about keeping it out of warranty.

If I was never towing anything The GL would have been a big consideration but the Denali still has more presence, better mileage, and is a cheap keep which if kept matters. Owning a MB or BMW means trading up as soon as warranty is up. Been there done that several times! The GL is a nice truck though, Good luck

So MB and BMW are expensive to own after the warranty expires???   5 years/60k miles I think is what MB is offering as far as warranty now.     I’ve had my 15 Denali 2.5 years and almost have 56k.   As far as mileage and maintenance I prob should stick with GM.  

2 minutes ago, mandals0810 said:

So MB and BMW are expensive to own after the warranty expires???   5 years/60k miles I think is what MB is offering as far as warranty now.     I’ve had my 15 Denali 2.5 years and almost have 56k.   As far as mileage and maintenance I prob should stick with GM.  

MB is a quality vehicle BUT yes very expensive to maintain and repair out of warranty. I too am over 25K a year so when it's a good one I will keep a while so GM wins that debate. Plus you are paying over 92K for a GL plus an extended warranty for a MB is very expensive compared to GM. Nothing like closing the door on a Mercedes and hearing that quality thud! But there is nothing cheap about ownership. 

I will never own a Ford product but saw the new Navigator at the car show, and it was very impressive, and the interior was insane. 

Oh wow-  yes.  The MB I’m considering is quite a bit less than $92k- it’s a GLC 43 AMG.  But I’m sure ownership is still expensive.  It’s price is comparable to the Denali.  Right now though, a new Denali may be cheaper.  GM is discounting them greatly at the moment.  

GM has 72 months at 0% which is huge.  Over a month ago I got a 5k loyalty discount. My dealer (after a war) applied it to invoice pricing which was a great deal. I got 2.8% on 72 months so overall not bad. The GLC43 is a cool vehicle but I haven't seen any good deals on special MB vehicles like that. This time of year the deals start but historically not on special, low volume cars/trucks like the AMG's. Good luck

18 minutes ago, seamus2154 said:

GM has 72 months at 0% which is huge.  Over a month ago I got a 5k loyalty discount. My dealer (after a war) applied it to invoice pricing which was a great deal. I got 2.8% on 72 months so overall not bad. The GLC43 is a cool vehicle but I haven't seen any good deals on special MB vehicles like that. This time of year the deals start but historically not on special, low volume cars/trucks like the AMG's. Good luck

Yes- GM is hard up for sales right now.   I’ve just been so disappointed in my 15 Denali I’m scared to get a new one,  but despite its troubles, I really do love the Yukon’s, and may go that route again.   With hopes the improvements on the 18s are much better than the 15s.  

• 1 year later...

I bought a slightly used 17 Tahoe last spring and can easily say that I have had few vehicles I that I am enjoying as much as this one. No issues with ride here. I just drove from Alberta, Canada down to Mesa, Arizona. Very happy with it!