2017 Tahoe Premier terrible ride quality

4 hours ago, Likarok said:

I bought a slightly used 17 Tahoe last spring and can easily say that I have had few vehicles I that I am enjoying as much as this one. No issues with ride here. I just drove from Alberta, Canada down to Mesa, Arizona. Very happy with it! 

Its comments like this that makes me feel like there is something wrong with my setup and I  might have a chance to change something so I too can make comments like this. Cause I WANT to love this vehicle more than I do now

On 11/5/2018 at 6:12 PM, Dearmosd said:

Just to update I have a 2018 suburban premier and I'm am starting to HATE my MR setup. Feels like you can feel every bump and one bump takes several bounces to recover

What size wheels do you have? I have a premier with 20"s and it's pretty darn smooth considering the roads around here (NJ) are like Fallujah.

Edited by Mandalorian

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone replaced their Mag Ride shocks/struts with non Mag Ride from say a Suburban Z71 or non MR Yukon and then either just turned off the CEL with HPTuners or use a resister?  I think I may try this on my '15 Yukon Denali XL.  I HATE the rough ride.

1 hour ago, Dearmosd said:

between the http://www.xineering.com/shocksims.html harness adapters and a regular set of shocks you will just convert your setup back down to a LT/SLT version of the vehicle or go custom and get aftermarket products but still get a basic LT/SLT suspension setup.

I am too about to convert once my warranty is expired.

Thanks, that looks like an easy solution.  I emailed them since they don't have prices listed.  Do you know the cost for their adapters?  

On 11/11/2018 at 9:54 PM, Dearmosd said:

All my test drives we're with 20" wheels and last minute I picked the 22" (didn't want the 20" chrome) they had to offer. But.... I wouldn't think the extra 2 " would feel 10x worse

Same here. Test drove a few with 20's, and one with 18's with standard suspension used, but ended up with 22's on the one I bought knowing in advance the potential ride and vibration issues. Coming from a BMW X5 with a FIRM but compliant European suspension and we find the ride itself to be good enough if not a bit busy, but the noise and vibration (body resonance) issues from the 22" wheel and tire combo is definitely somewhat annoying, but seemingly not too bad on this truck. Going on a little Thanksgiving weekend road trip and will see how bad it is on trips, and if we'll go ahead and replace the OEM Bridgestones with the Michelin's, which supposedly make things about 75-90% better from what I've read here.

On 11/22/2018 at 3:40 PM, S P said:

Same here. Test drove a few with 20's, and one with 18's with standard suspension used, but ended up with 22's on the one I bought knowing in advance the potential ride and vibration issues. Coming from a BMW X5 with a FIRM but compliant European suspension and we find the ride itself to be good enough if not a bit busy, but the noise and vibration (body resonance) issues from the 22" wheel and tire combo is definitely somewhat annoying, but seemingly not too bad on this truck. Going on a little Thanksgiving weekend road trip and will see how bad it is on trips, and if we'll go ahead and replace the OEM Bridgestones with the Michelin's, which supposedly make things about 75-90% better from what I've read here.

I too have been thinking about replacing the tires for the ditch effort to solve some issues with sound and front end vibrations. The dealership has replaced 3 tires so far and the vehicle only has 3600 mile snow. Please post a response on the difference of stock Bridgestones versus Michelins

1 hour ago, Dearmosd said:

I too have been thinking about replacing the tires for the ditch effort to solve some issues with sound and front end vibrations. The dealership has replaced 3 tires so far and the vehicle only has 3600 mile snow. Please post a response on the difference of stock Bridgestones versus Michelins

Just got back from our 500 mile road trip, and the body resonance issue with the 22" wheels and OEM Bridgestones was only really bothersome and a loud constant at around 66 mph when it hit a peak resonance of sorts (and 63 when the tires were still cold). With the HUD it was a cinch to manage and just not go 66. Other than that, nobody cared or complained, and what little low level low frequency humming or vibration there might have been that came and went at other speeds, my wife actually found soothing (like on an airplane) and said it made her want to go to sleep! LOL! Kids didn't notice or complain, and generally it was pretty silent above 70 mph, and at 60 or below. No complaints from a disabled adult we care for also, and the dog was happy and passed out half the time and wasn't the least bit restless. Bottom line for us is the noise and vibration issues are easily managed and nobody really seems to care in our household, and whatever manufacturing tweaks GM might have done to best mitigate this seems to have been reasonably effective on 2018's (and 2017's I'm guessing too?), so I think I'll probably just use up these tires and replace them with the Michelins whenever they were out. Doesn't seem to be worth it to replace them in advance.

The only tweak I've done so far is lower the cold tire pressures to 32 psi, which has hot pressures in the 35 psi range. I read from someone in one of these big threads who talked to Bridgestone support and said the 35 psi (cold) pressure was total overkill for the load capacity of these tires and the weight of the vehicle. I haven't verified that myself with Bridgestone, but the "high" factory pressure is probably mostly for fuel economy reasons. I still had no problem hitting 22 mpg on the highway on our trip in thick and freezing cold air, and did 19.1 mpg overall including all local driving and an hour or so of idling (and a couple full throttle passes around dimwits!). I couldn't find an engineering grade datasheet for the Bridgestones online, but I'll probably call them and verify myself that 30 psi cold is OK for these tires on this vehicle before lowering any further. Going from 35 psi cold to 32 psi cold definitely seemed to help, although I didn't do highway back to back tests for that.

FWIW, I saw an older couple in their 50's or 60's with a 2015-2016 Suburban LTZ with one of the factory 22" wheel options parked at a hotel. Didn't get a chance to ask them anything about it, but I snuck a peak later and it had the Michelins on it.   

Edited by S P

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, 2020Tahoe said:

Brought a 2020 Tahoe Premier with magnetic ride control hate it! Harsh ride vibrations on steering wheel. Had it 2 months 264 miles on it.

had Tahoe Yukon in past.

trading for Ford Expedition 

Okay, it's just the tire balance and/or Bridgestone tires issue, but you can lose thousands of dollars trading if you want. Did you not test drive?

2,200 mile road trip from D.C. to Orlando and back over the holidays, zero ride complaints or vibration issues with the Michelin tires and 22" wheels. Swapped out the Bridgestones for Michelin Premier LTX since my post a few above this one.

Had Tahoe/Yukon, in the past. Dealer not much help in resolution for that matter either is Chevrolet. $76,000 vehicle that rides like a Jeep.

like everything about the Tahoe except for the ride. Can’t be frustrated with the ride over years of ownership for a few thousand dollars.

12 hours ago, S P said:

Okay, it's just the tire balance and/or Bridgestone tires issue, but you can lose thousands of dollars trading if you want. Did you not test drive?

2,200 mile road trip from D.C. to Orlando and back over the holidays, zero ride complaints or vibration issues with the Michelin tires and 22" wheels. Swapped out the Bridgestones for Michelin Premier LTX since my post a few above this one.