Fuel Mileage L5P

I agree. The mpg is incredible - compare to the half tons I've driven exclusively for the last decade and a half.

Please note though, a manual calculation shows 3-5% less. I hand calc every fill up. And reset trip B for that purpose.

Still real good though.

Hey if that mpg holds up consistently for buyers of the new diesel, and the reliability reports after four or five years are pretty good, I think a lot of us that went with the gasser are going to be thinking about upgrading. Personally, I have never been an early adopter, but I absolutely wish you the best with your truck and maybe in four or five years I will be joining you as a diesel owner.

My new truck is also seeing that kind of HY MPG without towing. When towing my near 8000lb TT I ave 11-12.

BTW that engine seems to just purr along and the transmission hardly ever downshifts. EB+ tow/haul+ cruise control keep the truck and TT right on speed hardly ever touch the break.

Did I say I love my truck

• Like 2

My new truck is also seeing that kind of HY MPG without towing. When towing my near 8000lb TT I ave 11-12.BTW that engine seems to just purr along and the transmission hardly ever downshifts. EB+ tow/haul+ cruise control keep the truck and TT right on speed hardly ever touch the break.Did I say I love my truck

Came down Pikes Peak in second gear with my foot on the accelerator when not in cruise control. Don't recall using the break.

When towing a load it is a bit bothersome having to accelerate to the toll gates. Sure don't ever feel like it freewheels, hardly use the break if U pay attention to traffic flow.

Love the truck but have not yet gotten comfortable with the shift points (38 & 48 mph) keeping the rpm up. Reminds me of driving the old standard 3 speed in second gear in order to improve throttle response. Miss the old floor it until u reach desired speed and then coast.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from a long trip pulling my 5th wheel. I was getting over 12 mpg while towing while on the flat. It was getting around 8-9 going up I-80 to Donner Summit. I have been getting over 22 mpg without towing and around 18 mpg in city driving. This beast has better city mileage than my 2015 1500 got. I am so impressed. I was so expecting that I was going to be pulling around a giant gas hog, just so that we could pull a 5th wheel. I am beyond pleased. And it is not even broke in yet. I can't wait until it is completely broke in to see what kind of mileage it will get.

It is still a pain to park in most small space parking lots, but I am living with it. :rollin:

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the info Peterd.  I'm thinking of getting a 2018 GMC 2500 HD All Terrain X with the Duramax in Onyx Black.

As to half tons, I can 20 mpg in my 2012 1500 with the 6.2L burning premium with the wife and I plus a hundred plus pounds of luggage & camera equipment on flat ground. Keeping that truck & selling my 2003 2500 HD?.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, Peterd said:

Came down Pikes Peak in second gear with my foot on the accelerator when not in cruise control. Don't recall using the break.

When towing a load it is a bit bothersome having to accelerate to the toll gates. Sure don't ever feel like it freewheels, hardly use the break if U pay attention to traffic flow.

Love the truck but have not yet gotten comfortable with the shift points (38 & 48 mph) keeping the rpm up. Reminds me of driving the old standard 3 speed in second gear in order to improve throttle response. Miss the old floor it until u reach desired speed and then coast.

I have noticed a bit more freewheeling after the engine is fully warm - as far as the 38 shift point I sometimes get up to the point where it shifts up then throttle back and it stays in the higher gear. I hate trying to do 25 as it seems to want to stay in 2 or 3 and will not freewheel. After 8 mos I am still  getting used to this amazing truck - I do know that it really likes to stretch its legs on the hy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bull Crap on the 2018 '  Compared to my 2015, piece of crap no comparison, The truck MPG 3500 HD Crew cab Duramax. Never know what kinda milage you'll get anyday. One day 20+ Next day same road same conditions same driver 12MPG no load . THEY HAVE A COMPUTER ISSUE they won't admit . Good luck if you buy one. dove first 1,000 got the 20 but then downhill after that. been in dealer twice now chevy told them to do nothing for service. 4,100 miles on truck Chevy said there is nothing wrong with truck. Had 2015 drove it 130,000+ could get 20 anyway of the week any conditions.  Chevy I think has lost a 40 year customer. Keep giving those deals to the other manufacturer truck owners to get know customers you can't keep your loyal one. your advertising budget could be less if you took care of the customers you have. 

Same road different day, mine will go to 12 if in regen from 20 when not in regen. 

Regens last about 15-20 miles and then mileage pops back up.

Regens are getting occurring about every 400 miles. 

Truck has about 3500 miles.  

Regens are more frequent but shorter duration  (they start at a lower soot load, so don't need to last as long)

Comparing averages by fill ups, rather than using the instantaneous DIC stuff, overall average fuel economy on this L5P has improved from the LML I was driving. Daily usage is not exactly the same, but it is similar.  

Truck has spent it's entire life on winter fuel.

I'm expecting mileage to improve with the weather.  (summer fuel and shorter warm ups)