Clunking in Rear

Fixed my issue or so I think. Dont bother with the grease, it wont last long. Put some kind if spacer in between the leafs where they touch. I put some rubber material in mine. You just have to pry the leafs apart and slide in the rubber. Should stop the noise

• Like 1

Finally went to the dealer, they re-torqued everything and greased the pads, noise is gone but am sure it will return. I did leave with a nice squeaky rattle under the dash which sounds like its below the radio and its driving me nuts so if anyone has tips for this.

I dropped my truck off yesterday for the clunking issue I've been describing. They said the leaf spring was bad so they're getting that replaced today once it shows up. I asked them to re-torque everything as well since the loaner I have road like a dream compared to my truck. I'm hoping this will resolve my suspension clunking issue but we'll see when I get it back. I'll make sure to update everyone in a few days with results!

Fixed my issue or so I think. Dont bother with the grease, it wont last long. Put some kind if spacer in between the leafs where they touch. I put some rubber material in mine. You just have to pry the leafs apart and slide in the rubber. Should stop the noise

What did you use and did you.do the length of the leaf?

• Like 1

Update now that I've had the truck back for a week:

I dropped my truck off Monday 8/4 to have them look into the terrible clunking noise in the rear and they called back stating the leaf spring was definitely bad and that they were going to replace it when the new springs came in the morning of 8/5. I picked my truck up at noon on 8/5 and the rear has thankfully made no noises since then. Fun fact: either if fell off or they forgot to install one of the rubber pads in the rear leaf so I had to make trip back to get that installed once they found it off the old spring that they removed. I do however have a new creaking noise coming from the driver's side front wheel. I can recreate the noise just by rocking the truck side to side but I have the ProComp 2.25" level kit on the front so I'm kind of weary about bringing the issue up to the dealer and them telling me I'm out of luck due to the added leveling kit. Any advice?

I'm starting to get discouraged at the issues I've already experienced in the 24,000 miles I've had the truck of what's to come. I started playing around and discovered that based off the KBB value(I didn't research NADA, Edmunds, etc.) my truck is still worth just a little more than what I paid for it, so I am contemplating selling it outright and buying a new '17...

I had this issue on my 2015 crewcab and I put a 1.95" bike tube in between the springs at the ends took care of the issue. The weight of the truck holds them in been in about a month and no more clunk or squeak.

• Like 1

I had this issue on my 2015 crewcab and I put a 1.95" bike tube in between the springs at the ends took care of the issue. The weight of the truck holds them in been in about a month and no more clunk or squeak.

Do you have pictures? Having a bit of a hard time picturing what you did there... Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It is in the springs, but replacing the springs won't fix it, it will come back. The rubber pads in between the springs need to be lubricated with grease on the top and bottom of the pad. This will fix the issue. I've done it tons of times on the older body style and the new ones.

Spraying a lubricant in there won't suffice. The springs have to be separated by shoving a pry bar in between them, lift up the pad and lubricate the bottom and then do the top. Guaranteed to work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how big of a job is it to do this?

i wonder if i can tackle this by myself.

I have had the issue on my 2014 crew cab Z71. Went to the dealer, they did the grease "fix" lasted all of about 2 weeks. I went back, they installed new springs again the clunk returned. I got fed up and took it to a car wash, blew the springs with high pressure water to clean out all the grease they had packed in there. I went and bought a high quality dry graphite lube. I pried the springs and sprayed a liberal amount and let them dry. No clunk as of yet (couple days) but if it comes back then I will go with the putting bike tube in between them. It is amazing to me that a $50,000 truck can sound like it is 10 years old and been towing its whole life.

My issue with my rear leaf springs is the bushings I think. I spray them down with Tri-flow and noise goes away for awhile but comes right back. Unfortunately I don't see any places that have replacement for just the bushings yet. GM parts direct only list the leaf spring assembly with I am assuming bushings installed. I was told by the dealership that if it isn't "broken" warranty can't fix it. I only have 10k miles. My 2011 2500 never had this issue with 60k and towed with it.

I have had the issue on my 2014 crew cab Z71. Went to the dealer, they did the grease "fix" lasted all of about 2 weeks. I went back, they installed new springs again the clunk returned. I got fed up and took it to a car wash, blew the springs with high pressure water to clean out all the grease they had packed in there. I went and bought a high quality dry graphite lube. I pried the springs and sprayed a liberal amount and let them dry. No clunk as of yet (couple days) but if it comes back then I will go with the putting bike tube in between them. It is amazing to me that a $50,000 truck can sound like it is 10 years old and been towing its whole life.

Update to this, clunk came back, I am putting rubber in today. That is the only fix that I have seen here on this forum and others that actually works. I am using inner tube from a bicycle tire. We will see what happens.

I'm also starting to experience this problem with my 2016 Silverado. My question is I have lowering shackles in the rear and I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer for the clunking because I feel like they'll blame the shackles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk