Clunking in Rear

I'm also starting to experience this problem with my 2016 Silverado. My question is I have lowering shackles in the rear and I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer for the clunking because I feel like they'll blame the shackles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Worth a shot but to be honest, if they do decide to do warranty work you will have them greased (it won't fix it long term), then have them replaced (again not a long term), and then get fed up and do the rubber like everyone else has had to do. It makes me angry GM cannot admit the problem and get a fix out, either some better springs or a rubber not plastic silencer.

Worth a shot but to be honest, if they do decide to do warranty work you will have them greased (it won't fix it long term), then have them replaced (again not a long term), and then get fed up and do the rubber like everyone else has had to do. It makes me angry GM cannot admit the problem and get a fix out, either some better springs or a rubber not plastic silencer.

I'm waiting on the pictures of the rubber installed so I can give that a shot.

I will take some pics this evening if I get around to doing it. If I do not then I will upload some pics Saturday. This better fix it. I am going to blow a gasket soon I am telling you, I had a 2002 Z71 200,000+ miles and the leaf springs never made a sound.

here is how I did mine:

1. Get you some bicycle inner tube or rubber sheet (HD sells in plumbing dept)

2. Raise truck from frame on driver side just in front of rear wheel.

3. Use jack stand for safety

4. Use large flat blade screwdriver or pry bar to separate leaves at front of spring

5. Insert rubber piece then remove pry tool. keep your digits out of harm's way

6. Repeat 4 & 5 at rear of spring

7. Repeat 2-6 on passenger side

Just did this this morning and when I shake the bed side to side the only noise I hear now is a little axle play; spring clunk is gone. We'll see how long it lasts. Fluid film was getting me about a month before the noise returned.

post-43018-0-55578200-1503681203_thumb.jpg

post-43018-0-36236400-1503681214_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

here is how I did mine:

1. Get you some bicycle inner tube or rubber sheet (HD sells in plumbing dept)

2. Raise truck from frame on driver side just in front of rear wheel.

3. Use jack stand for safety

4. Use large flat blade screwdriver or pry bar to separate leaves at front of spring

5. Insert rubber piece then remove pry tool. keep your digits out of harm's way

6. Repeat 4 & 5 at rear of spring

7. Repeat 2-6 on passenger side

Just did this this morning and when I shake the bed side to side the only noise I hear now is a little axle play; spring clunk is gone. We'll see how long it lasts. Fluid film was getting me about a month before the noise returned.

attachicon.gifIMG_0114.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0115.JPG

Nice write up there. I appreciate that

I was just headed to these forums to write up the same complaint. 2017 GMC Sierra Elevation and it pops SO loud every time I backup with the steering wheel turned. I originally thought it was a front end problem but it's definitely coming from the rear. Wasn't sure if it was the rear end lock engaging but I have to hear it at least 3 times a day in the areas I park. 3 times a day I get frustrated and discouraged with a truck that has only 3000 miles on it. Probably headed to the dealer but it doesn't sound like I'll be getting much help there until a service bulletin of some sort is released. Thanks for posting.

Just wanted to give an update. I did the rubber fix for mine this weekend, it worked. I used Goodyear bicycle inner tube. I will say it made me chuckle as I was underneath the truck sliding it in and read the big MADE IN MEXICO stamp on my spring and then the MADE IN USA on my inner tube. I would upload photos but it looks exactly as above and followed the same procedure as paumat.

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem on my 2015.  Went to the dealer and the confirmed it was the spring noise, but would not fix repair under warranty because I had a leveling kit installed.  Made me chuckle-truck has 30,000 miles and sounds terrible when turning or going over bumps-especially if towing a trailer.  I tried greasing the springs and that didn't work.  I added the bicycle inner tubes, and that helped, but I still had some noise(I was probably paying more attention to it than I should have been though).  I decided to replace the springs and saw recommendations for Deaver Springs in Santa Ana, CA.  I made the leap and purchased them.  Took 4 weeks to make and a week to ship to me in Florida.  The install was much more of a challenge than I had anticipated-you have to remove the hitch to get the rear shackle bolts out which wasn't bad, but to replace the drivers side spring you have to drop the fuel tank.  

Very pleased with the ride of the springs, and finally no noise.  The Deavers are expensive-$900 and I can't tell you if they are any better than the multi leaf springs you can buy elsewhere.  I ordered mine with a 3" lift as I am running Fox Coil overs in the front.  I initially didn't install with the factory blocks, but that made it sit level and I like a bit of a rake so I ended up adding the blocks back.  Note that the top plate that holds the U bolts doesn't come with the new springs so you have to remove it from your factory springs and install on the Deavers.  Hope this helps anyone considering replacing their springs.

Deaver 1

Deaver 2

• Like 1

This happened to my 2017 Z71. Actually started making the clunking noise when I got it back from the dealership. They were replacing the headliner because of a rear window leak and had my truck during the holidays. It was so bad I thought someone took it on a joyride and thrashed it. Here’s a pic of their write up, hope it helps.

FYI the springs still sounds creaky like an old truck but according to this forum it’s something that happens when it’s below freezing. So I’ll wait until it warms up before complaining 

967FC7DF-9C17-475A-B576-830604FAD3D5.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 9:49 AM, SippiSierra said:

What's the rubber used?   Thickness and type

2 hours ago, Nasty said:

What's the rubber used?   Thickness and type

Thickness I honestly couldn’t tell you. I used (most do) bicycle inner tube. I bought the Goodyear off road bike tire innertube and cut it down to be the thickness of the spring. 

• 5 months later...
On 7/24/2017 at 12:53 PM, jeck1 said:

I have the same issue on my 2016 HC. Would hear clunking in the back whenever I would back into my driveway. Asked the dealer to look at it when it was in for service and they said there was a service bulletin about it and 'they tightened things up'. Problem reappeared a few days after and they have ordered new springs for me. Parts are back ordered but all covered under warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Going through this on my new to me 15 Silverado. I'll have to investigate the springs.

1 hour ago, new2chevy said:

Going through this on my new to me 15 Silverado. I'll have to investigate the springs.

My clunk was due to the driveshadt inout splines needing more grease