Clunking in Rear

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, 99Mastercraft said:

How hard was it to grease this? just remove the drive shaft bolts and drop it down and grease?

Is it pretty straight forward?

Yes.  Hardest part is jacking up the truck (im lowered so i had to)

• 4 months later...

I purchased a 2018 Silverado in September of 17. I have approx 7200 miles on it today and noticed the “clunking” sound coming from the rear. I became concerned that it may be drive line related. After reading the posts on this thread I checked the leafs first. As a quick fix I sprayed some oil on the springs and let it sit over night. The next day heading to work as I pulled out the driveway “CLUNK!!” this time only worse. It was to the point that when driving down the road if I jerked the wheel back and forth at 35mph it sounded like the lug nuts weren’t tightened on the rear wheels. So I decided I’d come home and slip some thin pieces of rubber on top of the existing pads on the leaf springs. (Just as confirmation it was the springs). So I did as the others said. Jacked the truck up and used a crow bar to space them out a bit. Used some degreaser and a rag and cleaned the factory pads. Placed the thin rubber pieces on top of the existing pads and let the jack down. Backed out of the driveway and “SILENCE!” No more clunking. I will now be looking into a more permanent solution now that I know what the problem is.  I hope this helps. 

Matt 

• 9 months later...
On 8/25/2017 at 1:17 PM, paumat said:

here is how I did mine:

1. Get you some bicycle inner tube or rubber sheet (HD sells in plumbing dept)

2. Raise truck from frame on driver side just in front of rear wheel.

3. Use jack stand for safety

4. Use large flat blade screwdriver or pry bar to separate leaves at front of spring

5. Insert rubber piece then remove pry tool. keep your digits out of harm's way

6. Repeat 4 & 5 at rear of spring

7. Repeat 2-6 on passenger side

Just did this this morning and when I shake the bed side to side the only noise I hear now is a little axle play; spring clunk is gone. We'll see how long it lasts. Fluid film was getting me about a month before the noise returned.

post-43018-0-55578200-1503681203_thumb.jpg

post-43018-0-36236400-1503681214_thumb.jpg

Anybody know if the piece he inserted is that little white piece?  Hows does it stay in there?

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I have a squeak or a creek noise coming from my leaf springs. Its driving me crazy. When you slowly come to a stop, you can hear it and then when you take off again. Sounds like a creaking door opening and closing. Only happens when you move forward or come to a stop. Jumping up and down on the truck wont do it, only accelerating from a stop and coming to a stop. It goes away when the truck gets wet or its raining, then returns.

• 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, drs1er said:

2020 6.2 Trailboss LT here, I also have a "clunk" in my rear end. 9500 miles on the truck, not sure if it's leafs or the axle. I'll be calling the dealer this week,.

2020? You might be better off on the other forum?
Dunno, there may be more similarities than I'm aware.

• 1 year later...

I just noticed the clunking sound in the last week. If I stand on the bumper and bounce up and down I hear nothing. If I shake the bed side to side I hear it. Does this still fall under leaf springs issue?

• 10 months later...
On 8/25/2017 at 12:17 PM, paumat said:

here is how I did mine:

1. Get you some bicycle inner tube or rubber sheet (HD sells in plumbing dept)

2. Raise truck from frame on driver side just in front of rear wheel.

3. Use jack stand for safety

4. Use large flat blade screwdriver or pry bar to separate leaves at front of spring

5. Insert rubber piece then remove pry tool. keep your digits out of harm's way

6. Repeat 4 & 5 at rear of spring

7. Repeat 2-6 on passenger side

Just did this this morning and when I shake the bed side to side the only noise I hear now is a little axle play; spring clunk is gone. We'll see how long it lasts. Fluid film was getting me about a month before the noise returned.

I know it was 6 years ago, but thank you for the instructions and pictures paumat.  My 2018 has been to the dealer several times for this over the last couple years, and they didn't have a clue how to fix it.  They finally told me "that's how they all are".  10 minutes and some bicycle inner tube and the clunking noise is gone completely.  

This post is old, but anyone who did this years ago, how long did the fix last?  I'm not expecting the rubber inner tube to hold up to the springs rubbing for long, and I'm considering different materials that might provide a cushion but be more durable.

shock-pad.jpg