Installation of Westin HDX 56-13725 running boards on 2017 2500HD Dies

I bought the same nerf bars / drop steps for my '17 HD.  Purchased directly from Westin a few weeks ago.  First off, the installation instructions are just plain wrong.  The diagrams and illustrations are inconsistent as it relates to references to part numbers and how & where to install the brackets.  To top it off, the brackets are also mis-tabled.  It's as if someone purposely put the wrong labels on the brackets to get their jollies.

I tossed the instructions and went by the seat of my pants. First thing I did was to pull the factory boards off.  No need to drop the DEF tank to remove the two front brackets on the passenger side.  As explained in earlier posts, they're a different design than the other factory brackets.

Anyway, installation of the driver side Westin board was straight forward.  Passenger side not so much.  There is no way any of the Westin brackets will fit next to the DEF tank, even if you took it off.  I sent a note to Westin customer service to see if there is a different bracket for the HD.  Haven't heard back yet.

If they don't offer a solution, I believe i can cut up the factory and Westin brackets and weld a custom one together.  

paauto - Yeah - no way the factory supplied bracket will work.

I didn't have any running boards on mine - and like you - the driver's side was a snap.  And two of the passenger brackets weren't a problem at all.  Easy-peasy.  BUT, that bracket by the DEF tank - no way.  I guess if you had a welder, you could modify the bracket to weld a "hanger" or "tab" on it to go into the hole (I think the factory bracket has some hangers on their brackets instead of bolting through) - but I just didn't have a welder.  Bad as I'd like to get one - just couldn't justify the purchase of one for this project.  Not something I'd used all that much - but like so many tools, "nothing else satisfies like a Snickers".  When you need it - nothing else will do.

As I said - I paid someone to put them on.  I never really installed the drivers side, put the parts out, mated them up, that was easy.  So I started with the passenger side.  Right away found it was going to be difficult.  So I stayed with it trying to finish it (so I had a minimum of parts "messed up" in case I had to send the thing back).  Since we were leaving for a trip soon, I decided to get them installed by someone who said it was "no problem".   Well, they found out otherwise.  Was at least double the time they thought it would be.  They found the 2017 wasn't like earlier models - much to their chagrin.

But - they've now been installed for over a year - hold up very well, and look nice on the truck.  Now, I'm trying to decide on a "deer catcher" up front... :P

21 hours ago, tundrwd said:

paauto - Yeah - no way the factory supplied bracket will work.

I didn't have any running boards on mine - and like you - the driver's side was a snap.  And two of the passenger brackets weren't a problem at all.  Easy-peasy.  BUT, that bracket by the DEF tank - no way.  I guess if you had a welder, you could modify the bracket to weld a "hanger" or "tab" on it to go into the hole (I think the factory bracket has some hangers on their brackets instead of bolting through) - but I just didn't have a welder.  Bad as I'd like to get one - just couldn't justify the purchase of one for this project.  Not something I'd used all that much - but like so many tools, "nothing else satisfies like a Snickers".  When you need it - nothing else will do.

As I said - I paid someone to put them on.  I never really installed the drivers side, put the parts out, mated them up, that was easy.  So I started with the passenger side.  Right away found it was going to be difficult.  So I stayed with it trying to finish it (so I had a minimum of parts "messed up" in case I had to send the thing back).  Since we were leaving for a trip soon, I decided to get them installed by someone who said it was "no problem".   Well, they found out otherwise.  Was at least double the time they thought it would be.  They found the 2017 wasn't like earlier models - much to their chagrin.

But - they've now been installed for over a year - hold up very well, and look nice on the truck.  Now, I'm trying to decide on a "deer catcher" up front... :P

Yep - sounds exactly like my predicament although i did have the factory boards and brackets to work with.  Never heard back from Westin so I got the angle grinder w/ a cutoff wheel out and modified the factory bracket  along with the Westin bracket - Frankenstein'd it!.  I had a local guy weld it up for me on Thursday.  I need to clean it up and paint it and will post a pic before i throw it on the truck.  

On 9/16/2018 at 6:20 AM, paauto said:

Yep - sounds exactly like my predicament although i did have the factory boards and brackets to work with.  Never heard back from Westin so I got the angle grinder w/ a cutoff wheel out and modified the factory bracket  along with the Westin bracket - Frankenstein'd it!.  I had a local guy weld it up for me on Thursday.  I need to clean it up and paint it and will post a pic before i throw it on the truck.  

Here's a photo of my homemade custom bracket.  I'm in the process of priming/painting/undercoating it and will post a pic shortly of the final beast.

IMG_2473.jpg

• 2 years later...

For anyone still having this issue, I just installed the Westin drop steps on my 19 GMC duramax. Like everyone else it seemed the DEF tank was in the way, however after removing the tank cover and taking a grinder to the back side of the supplied bracket that is supposed to go in that location you can get that bracket in between the rocker panel and the DEF tank. You also have to take a grinder or a file and take some material off the bracket where the rocker panel half rounded tab goes so the bracket can slide around it. The stock hardware won't work however. I just dropped a bolt from the top and threw a washer, lock washer and a nut on the bottom and tightened it up. I don't think it's possible to connect the top part of the bracket unless you drop the tank down. At least my hands are too big to fit between, I'm going to see if my son can get the bolt started as I think I can get an offset wrench on it to tighten. Anyway, you can get the bracket they supplied in there without removing the tank, just takes a bit of modification to the bracket. It feels sturdy with all the other parts bolted up. Oh, you also have to cut out a section of the DEF tank cover so it can slide past the bracket that is now obstructing the tank cover. I don't think that's a big deal though.