Vibration 2017 3500 Hd duramax 4X4

Since day 1 had vibration and shake like a tire out of balance. Had all tires re-balanced at a tire store. none were out, but still have vibration. Seems to go away at different speeds but then comes back when hit a small bump or crack in the highway. This is my first short box and my 4th duramax since 2011. Never experienced this before. Can't find any problem. Now have 3800 miles and am almost wishing had my 2015 back. Could this be in the drive line areas front or rear? Pull 5th wheel trailer most all the time so leaving it for days or weeks at a time is all but out of the question. don't think I'm dreaming as my bride feels it also. Anyone else having this problem, or an idea about a remedy?

• Like 1

I just purchased a 2017 3500HD High County and we are having the same issues. When we put a load on the transmission at speeds around 68 at 1750-1800RPM. the steering wheel feels like its going to vibrate off the column. I took it back to the dealer and they re balanced the tires and said they found two flat spots on my tires and replaced them. I called BS on that. As soon as I left the dealership the feeling was back. I gave them the truck for a week and they said they will have to contact the GM techs. This was 7/27. I am waiting to hear what they will do next. Unbelievable for the money spent on this machine it does this.

I just purchased a 2017 3500HD High County and we are having the same issues. When we put a load on the transmission at speeds around 68 at 1750-1800RPM. the steering wheel feels like its going to vibrate off the column. I took it back to the dealer and they re balanced the tires and said they found two flat spots on my tires and replaced them. I called BS on that. As soon as I left the dealership the feeling was back. I gave them the truck for a week and they said they will have to contact the GM techs. This was 7/27. I am waiting to hear what they will do next. Unbelievable for the money spent on this machine it does this.

is yours diesel?

The vibration, or mostly a shaking, happening after a bump is hit is likely "frame beaming"...mine (2012 2500hd) does it too. It is a fairly common complaint, stems from the tubular frame being so ridgid.

There are three things that helped mine...having the TPMS dropped to 50psi so that tire pressures could be dropped to 55psi when empty, better shocks (Bilstien 5100s), and smooth tires. Any out of roundness or roughness of tires will amplify the issue also...I had two sets of AT tires that shook even after balancing to zero, I run a highway tire now (Cooper HT3) and that has helped a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I’m having a vibration issue with my 2018 Sierra 3500 since new in August 2018. The vibration can be felt throughout the truck, and specifically in the steering wheel especially at highway speeds. When there’s any steering input on the highway, such as a curve or bend in the road, it’s especially bad. We’ve had it back to the dealership 7 times. The tires have been balanced, rotated, and reseated on the rims. The driveshaft and alignment has checked out ok. It’s currently back in the shop and the PICO scan is showing T1 which apparently indicates a rotor, rim or tire issue. I’m hoping they’re getting to the bottom of this issue. 

Any updates from anyone experiencing this issue with their 3500 dually?

If they are using the accelerometer kit and know that it is vibrating at a speed consistent with wheel rotation it's only a matter of time til they resolve it -- as long as you and they are determined.

Update. Mechanics have consulted with GM technicians and it appears to be an issue in the steering box - some electronic component. A new steering box is on order. In the meantime I’ve picked up the truck. I’ll update once the repair has been completed. 

In answer to the question posted, yes, the tires were roadforce balanced. 

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased a '17 Silverado Hd 2500 Duramax, and I swear it has been back to the dealer more than I've had ( exaggeration ). But more recently I have developed

the same issue with hard vibration at highway speeds, feeling like the steering wheel is about to come free. I literally just got the truck back yesterday , only to find out that they

pretty much just let my vehicle sit for two days while they did nothing to it at all.  I brought the mechanic out for a ride, bc they state they can't reproduce the issue. 

Took the guy out on I-95 and punched it.. ( frustration ) , within a second, the steering wheel was all over the place. The mechanics reaction was to say that was normal....

I called my fleet mechanic, said he knows what the issue is , and will order the new gearbox .... If GM knows of this issue, Why are dealerships so difficult to get to do the work?

( Delray Buick Gmc )