I joined this forum because of vibration problems in my 2014. After the dealership re-balanced the tires about 70% of the vibes went away and now 3 years later my truck hardly vibrates at all on the interstate. I am on the road a whole lot for my job and have asked well over a hundred owners of 2014+ GM's about vibration issues and almost all of them had smooth riding trucks. That to me says there are not a lot of them out there but of course if your the own with the lemon truck then you will think all are like that.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I joined this forum because of vibration problems in my 2014. After the dealership re-balanced the tires about 70% of the vibes went away and now 3 years later my truck hardly vibrates at all on the interstate. I am on the road a whole lot for my job and have asked well over a hundred owners of 2014+ GM's about vibration issues and almost all of them had smooth riding trucks. That to me says there are not a lot of them out there but of course if your the own with the lemon truck then you will think all are like that.

glad to here they fixed you up for the most part!

2015 1500 LT Silverado Midnight Edition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard of a Chevy at the local dealer here in town... They tried every thing. Even had an engineer from GM come down and spend a week with them trying to figure it out. Pulled another truck off the lot that didn't vibrate and used it as a donor truck. Wheels and tires, drive shafts, ring and pinions...everything. Still shook. The ended up putting it on the alingment rack, pulled the front driver shaft, ran it still vibrated. Pulled the back driveshaft, ran it, still vibrated. Keep in mind this is sitting on a rack, with NO driveshafts in it, shaking like mad. GM at this point bought it back. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've been posting to a few vibration posts. Very disgusted that this is happening to all these trucks.. I would say they have some serious build flaws.. It's almost impossible for me to get to the dealer anytime soon.

I've been posting to a few vibration posts. Very disgusted that this is happening to all these trucks.. I would say they have some serious build flaws.. It's almost impossible for me to get to the dealer anytime soon.

Even though it's enough of a problem that GM should try to address it. So it's defiantly a problem. But, you can't just go by forums. I bet only a very very small fraction of 1% of the K2 trucks out there have no vibrations at all. When I had my '14 LT it never vibrated, even when I got it up to 98 when the governor kicked in. It just looks like it's more when you read on forums because if your brand new or practically brand new truck is vibrating the first thing people will do is search forums. Probably 90% of new members on a forum their first post is asking about a problem.

• 1 month later...

I suspect some folks have it and don't realize, and others have it to a minimal degree. Some may not have it at all!

The cause seems to be the natural resonance (38 Herz) of the frame, raised to the level of human perception by drive train vibrations or wheel vibrations. Some people have success getting their dealer to diminish the vibration, primarily by balancing the wheels. I had no such luck, and in the end my dealer acted like "we cannot replicate the vibration" although I showed them a video of it!

I sold my 2014 GMC with around 20,000 miles on it. Luckily, it brought almost what I paid for it, in the trade-in. I now have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee -- the purchase of which was another triumph of hope over experience, in that my previous four Jeep Grand Cherokees -- going back into the 1990's -- had a series of perplexing problems (mostly electronic). But at least the Jeep dealers always tried to help me get them fixed, and in the end the vehicles provided good service.

Bottom line, I'd take any new GMC truck out for an extensive test drive (highway speeds from 45-70) before buying it, to see what your luck of the draw might be. And I'd serve notice to them, this bear is coming back for a refund if it develops this vibration problem so many people talk about on the internet.

I just bought my new Sierra, First one I test drove vibrated badly at 33 MPH and again at about 55. Hoped into another one, and no issues what so ever. I told the dealer they had a shaker and needed to resolve it but I wasn't going to be the one to do it. The truck I bought is perfect.

I have a 2017 Silverado high country with 6.2, 4wd which has a vibration around 70-72mph; It isn't as bad as some of the you tube videos I've seen, but it's noticeable. I recently put 210# of tube sand over the rear axle for the upcoming MN winter, and things are much better. I don't think it's my imagination.

• 5 weeks later...
On August 3, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Vibe15 said:

Hi everyone.

Been along time since I've posted about my 2015 vibrator. Well what a story I have for you! I'll make it short n sweet as possible.

First the dealership, couple of hiccups but overall really good to me.

Second the Gm customer service, very pleasant to talk to......that's all.

Third Gm district manager, treated me very well with buyback.

1/16 New 2015 1500 double ltz 6.2 20" vibrated bad from day one! Approx 6-7 months later after 4 sets of tires, alignments etc.. was offered buyback. Ordered a 2017 1500 crew ltz z71 6.2 18" loaded on first order date. ( z71 and 18" highly suggested for least amount of possible vibration problems by DM )

12/20/16 new truck FINALLY arrives. Stunning, rides amazing.

5/17 4K miles started to notice a little vibration. Could live with it.

6/17 vibration worse, rear end was making odd noise off and on. Rear end locked up several times at very low speeds and just dragged tires.

Will leave out all the bs. Rear end was blown. Btw I don't beat on my trucks.

GM POLICY.... new model year rebuild only! If 2016 and older new rear end.

RFB tires 2 no good. 2 new tires( found out were out of spec to, put on anyways)

Rebuilt rear end, 2 new tires truck vibrated worse, rear end made bad clunking noise and all around seemed worse. Didn't want to go through another buyback and was told GM probably won't do it.

Traded for 2017 Colorado v6 crew long bed. Surprisingly really like this little truck.

Ok you ready.... 207 miles on it, took it on highway, vibrated worse than my first truck. Also noticed whole truck had a slight lean to drivers side.

Took service manager for ride and couldn't believe how bad it was. Also measured truck and driver side was shorter. RFB tires, perfect, checked everything, perfect. No bulletins for it. Never had a Colorado vibrate. Nothing he could do about it. Said you got a lemon. He was gonna contact DM. ( I wrote a email to DM in detail of what My family and I have gone through the past year and a half, how much money we have lost, how much stress we have had and to please just give me a new Colorado ) He got in touch with New DM and explained he couldn't fix it, it's a lemon. Definitely should do a buyback. Well guess what DENIED!! IM FLOORED... unfixable truck is mine.

Almost traded for another New Silverado but couldn't do it. Lemon law would take to long and they would get me for mileage( which is not cheap ) and I have to drive it.

8/17 traded for a beautiful black 2017 v6 twin turbo crew cab loaded f150. Couldn't be happier. Really impressed with motor, better tow, better mileage, seats more comfortable, all around better.

Unfortunately For GM ( not that it matters to them ) I will never buy a GM product again and I will steer anyone who asks away from them.

BTW... I personally know several 15-17 Silverado owners who's trucks vibrate, most common said things from them is...

Dont have time to bring it in. Don't wanna go through bs. Take the wife's car for long drives. Brought it in got new tires still vibrates. Gonna trade for Ram/Ford.

So the number of REPORTED vibration issues means nothing.. lots of people don't have time, don't wanna deal with bs, traded or just don't care.

In the past year and a half I've asked approximately 50 15-17 Silverado owners if theirs vibrated. HALF said yes and all at highway speeds.

Personally I think they all vibrate on different levels. On the low end response well it's a truck, that's how it rides. It's expected. And don't forget service guys going with you for test ride saying, that's the tires their aggressive your gonna get that. Unfortunately I've heard it all.

My Silverado crew rode like a Cadillac until 4K miles. Take no excuses!!!!

Thanks for reading and good luck to all.

Wow,that's horrible. I myself after this final drive shaft service that I asked for after multiple visits to the original dealership that made hammer notches in my rear shaft.Will never buy a GM brand again.

There is something underlying wrong with this platform and all the balancing etc is just mitigation efforts.  The on-going theme with Gm is we'll get it right on the next model. been seeing this since I was a kid in the 80's.  The new Titan is already eating GM's lunch from what I see on the road.  It's amazing how many Titan and Titan XD's (new models) are out there on the streets this quickly.  This saturday I was out driving around early and every single boat was being pulled by a new Titan.  Probably saw 10+/-.   Plus for people that drive 20k/yr like I do, having a 5yr 100k bumper to bumper warranty is a HUGE risk management item. I love a lot of other things about my truck, that's why I put up with it.  It's like a trophy wife... high maintenance.  Eventually it's going to wear thin.  But the truck market is in an interesting spot with a 2009 Ram still for sale, and a 2007 Tundra still for sale....  GM/Ford and now Titan are the only new trucks.   The new Furds seem to have their share of issues, not to mention no transmission dipstick.  There really is no good E39 M5 type truck for sale right now.

In my area, I have seen TWO new gen Titans. This area is primarly GM and Ford, with very few other brands. While the new Titan is leap and bounds better than it's predeccesor in every way, I have my doubts that they are the best truck out there.

I have over 20 friends with GM trucks. Only two have experienced anything drastically wrong with them, and continue to purchase them time after time.

2 hours ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

In my area, I have seen TWO new gen Titans. This area is primarly GM and Ford, with very few other brands. While the new Titan is leap and bounds better than it's predeccesor in every way, I have my doubts that they are the best truck out there.

I have over 20 friends with GM trucks. Only two have experienced anything drastically wrong with them, and continue to purchase them time after time.

Not many Titan's here in MA. I think I've seen one or two XD's. Seeing lot's of new RAM's lately. Plenty of Ford's and Toyota's too. But the GM twins definitely rule the full size in my area just outside Boston.

I've noticed a BIG upswing in the amount of Canyons and Colorado as well. But the Tacoma is still boss of the small segment in this area 

5 hours ago, Loco-diablo said:

Not many Titan's here in MA. I think I've seen one or two XD's. Seeing lot's of new RAM's lately. Plenty of Ford's and Toyota's too. But the GM twins definitely rule the full size in my area just outside Boston.

I've noticed a BIG upswing in the amount of Canyons and Colorado as well. But the Tacoma is still boss of the small segment in this area 

Yeah I hear ya.Hopeful the appointment I made for Friday in regards to my rear drive shaft goes well and all is rectified. I also noticed the rear end is wet from some kind of leakage.Gear oil saturated halfway back on the pumpkin starting at the yoke where the drive shaft goes in.That's a red flag as well.Just don't have time and the tolerance anymore jumping through the hoops like a circus. I'm trying 

IMG_0695.JPG

Archived