'16 silverado 2500HD, to lift/level or not to lift/level

Or just slap a 6 in lift on the front, 5 in blocks in the rear, 35×12.5 in tires all around, and struggle to reach 2 feet into the box [emoji28]

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a Cognito kit on mine, was a terrible decision for me. Should have just cranked it. I have upper control arms and shocks, and I get pretty bad bumpsteer, drives me insane. I do not know exactly how much worse it is than stock, but I've had it aligned twice and it's still not perfect. The second time I had it lowered some so now I really don't even need a leveling kit for where I'm at. About 1.75" of rake. Then I put on some tires and wheels that I absolutely ended up hating...way too aggressive and the offset of the wheels made it handle even worse. Now I'm back to stock wheels. Moral of the story for me at least, leave it stock. :)

I did a Cognito kit on mine, was a terrible decision for me. Should have just cranked it. I have upper control arms and shocks, and I get pretty bad bumpsteer, drives me insane. I do not know exactly how much worse it is than stock, but I've had it aligned twice and it's still not perfect. The second time I had it lowered some so now I really don't even need a leveling kit for where I'm at. About 1.75" of rake. Then I put on some tires and wheels that I absolutely ended up hating...way too aggressive and the offset of the wheels made it handle even worse. Now I'm back to stock wheels. Moral of the story for me at least, leave it stock. :)

Did you allingment it per Cognito specs or per GM specs? Lots of compliments from guys that simply could not find a good allingment shop.

NOT sticking up for Cognito at all! All my trucks get the bars cranked, shock extenders, and allingments, ride is so-so but no money invested and stock GM parts.

In a perfect world a guy would install a 4in. lift and crank it down to 3in. and be happy but that requires money, cutting the frame, and you are left with a altered truck.

As soon as you lift it your headlights will forever suck. If aligned so you can see anything you'll be blinding oncoming traffic, make the oncoming traffic happy and you might as well not even bother driving after dusk.

Probably doesn't help that I have 65w low beams

Did you allingment it per Cognito specs or per GM specs? Lots of compliments from guys that simply could not find a good allingment shop.

NOT sticking up for Cognito at all! All my trucks get the bars cranked, shock extenders, and allingments, ride is so-so but no money invested and stock GM parts.

In a perfect world a guy would install a 4in. lift and crank it down to 3in. and be happy but that requires money, cutting the frame, and you are left with a altered truck.

The dealer aligned it twice so I assume it's GM specs. Cognito told me that was the right thing to do when I questioned them about it, so I guess there really isn't anything else I can do besides return it to completely stock condition. I partially wanted a bit more front height to help with my plow so I don't really want to go back to stock. Regretting the control arms as I doubt they do anything for me...my hope was that they would improve the geometry but obviously that's not the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Picking my 2017 up tomorrow. Will 275/65r20's on +18 offset wheels fit with little to no cranking on the bars? Was thinking a crank of 1-1.5" max and some bilsteins in the front to keep ride as good as possible.

I'm thinking you should be ok with 275 65 with that offset. Friend has a 2015.5 Denali HD with Michelin AT2 in that size with stock 20's and no issues with just a 1.25-1.5 inch crank of bars. Rides pretty good IMO. Better ride than 295/60/20 Toyo AT2s he previously had but nowhere near as beefy looking.

Archived