'16 silverado 2500HD, to lift/level or not to lift/level

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, rocnrol said:

Level with factory keys, air bags in the rear, 305-60-18 Coopers. Just a slight rub on the frame at full lock ac0ef27686edc2b3e544c1a8ac51c2f3.jpg0cd650bec6cd6e208b1e1fcfff5292a6.jpg

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Are you sure those are not 305/70/18's?

Are you sure those are not 305/70/18's?
SMiller, you are correct, 305/70/18's
Sorry for that. They are pretty much exactly 35" Unlike the 35" BFG Mud Terrains I had on there. The extra height and the added weight of the 10 ply over the BFG'S is noticeable. It's now a 7% decrease in gear from the factory 4.10's.

I've looked into a regear, I would need 4.38 to get back to factory performance, I believe there's 4.30's available. Be a couple G hit to do it [emoji51]

9 hours ago, rocnrol said:

SMiller, you are correct, 305/70/18's
Sorry for that. They are pretty much exactly 35" Unlike the 35" BFG Mud Terrains I had on there. The extra height and the added weight of the 10 ply over the BFG'S is noticeable. It's now a 7% decrease in gear from the factory 4.10's.

I've looked into a regear, I would need 4.38 to get back to factory performance, I believe there's 4.30's available. Be a couple G hit to do it emoji51.png

No 4.30's out there for your truck which wouldn't be worth the swap anyway.  Go 4.56 and never look back lol.  In saying that the crappy thing with the 2015 and newer trucks is nobody shows support in any consistency for the diffs.  The rear should be the same old 10.5" AAM based off the corporate 14 bolt that has been around since 1973.... but this is GM lol.  I am confident it is and it's identical so I am just ordering stuff to swap mine.  The only thing I have been looking for is an open carrier that came from a 4.56 geared truck to facilitate adding a Detroit locker and use the normal 4.56 gears because the 10.5 has a carrier change at 4.56 lol.  Even if I don't the 4.10 and down carriers work but you need to order "thick" gears as they call them to accommodate for it. 

Lot's of info on swapping the 11.5 and 11.8" the Duramax trucks use ( which you can get 4.30 gears for) but nothing on the gas pots.

No 4.30's out there for your truck which wouldn't be worth the swap anyway.  Go 4.56 and never look back lol.  In saying that the crappy thing with the 2015 and newer trucks is nobody shows support in any consistency for the diffs so ordering parts will take some creativity. 
The gear sets I seen were for D-max trucks, so your probably right (if I'm not mistaken, they use a larger rear end) before I did any calculations my initial thoughts was 4.56's. You are absolutely right on the lack of support in this area though, yyeessssshh

Yeah like I said either the 11.5 or 11.8" rear on the Duramax trucks which the gas trucks get too if they are a 3500HD. However as a 2500HD it's the 10.5" AAM.  To confuse even further Ram uses a 10.5" AAM that is totally different than the GM one lol.... Fun stuff. 

I am excited to have 4.56's in my 17 as I think it will be great.... I am only 3.73 currently ( 6 liter fleet order lol) so it's a good jump in gear.  Some kid on kijiji ( and one facebook group I visit) has a factory 4.56 geared cab and chassis dually rear end for sale.... if it wasn't in Calgary I might jump on it.  Make for a cheap go for the rear of my truck anyway.

Yeah like I said either the 11.5 or 11.8" rear on the Duramax trucks which the gas trucks get too if they are a 3500HD. However as a 2500HD it's the 10.5" AAM.  To confuse even further Ram uses a 10.5" AAM that is totally different than the GM one lol.... Fun stuff. 

I am excited to have 4.56's in my 17 as I think it will be great.... I am only 3.73 currently ( 6 liter fleet order lol) so it's a good jump in gear.  Some kid on kijiji ( and one facebook group I visit) has a factory 4.56 geared cab and chassis dually rear end for sale.... if it wasn't in Calgary I might jump on it.  Make for a cheap go for the rear of my truck anyway.
Uuummmm..... I'm in Calgary..

7 minutes ago, Buckshot556 said:

So you put 35's on your truck that has  4.10 gearing...what changed with performance?  Is it more sluggish?

im looking at the 34" bfg mud terrains for my '16 gasser with 4.10 gears.  Def not interested in re gearing.  

Everyone puts 35's on these trucks with stock 4.10 gears.

Having tires much larger and heavier put more strain on the truck, it is all a trade off.

So you put 35's on your truck that has  4.10 gearing...what changed with performance?  Is it more sluggish?

im looking at the 34" bfg mud terrains for my '16 gasser with 4.10 gears.  Def not interested in re gearing.  
My thoughts of regearing come from me being a gearhead, and having an in depth understanding of the consequences of any modifications I make to my vehicles.

It's just me going through the exercise of "what would it take to get my truck to like stock, or better, performance after I change something" it allows me to make informed decisions on whether further modifications are needed, if they're really necessary, or if I even want to make a change in the first place.

I like my trucks with a lift and big tires. I also use my trucks, and expect a certain level of performance out of them. A stock truck is an engineers opinion of an all round, best compromise of performance. Changing tire sizes should not be done without understanding, you WILL have a deviation in performance over stock. How much change are you happy with? Is your tolerance for change the same as mine?

Right now I'm at a 7% decrease in gear ratio....after my little exercise in figuring out what ratio would be needed to bring the truck back to stock like performance, the availability of parts, and cost, it's not likely I'll go through with it. The truck still performs well enough for me that I'm not overly worried about it. But..... I also now know what I need for gears, and being the thrifty kind of guy I am, I'll always have my eyes open, and if I see the right deal.... I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger and snap them up.

I'd say go for the 34's, I think you won't be disappointed, but just be aware, your mileage will suffer a bit, and you might notice the truck shift a gear on hill it never did before, tis all

I see regearing as a good thing for me... gives me two birds with one stone.  One is 4.56 gears will be way more fun than stock as they are always are.... these trucks are rev happy and still undergeared in my opinion.  Two is I add a Detroit Locker in the back at the same time and toss the gov lock in the trash.  All win!

Good majority of the planet leaves it stock and just drives it.  

I see regearing as a good thing for me... gives me two birds with one stone.  One is 4.56 gears will be way more fun than stock as they are always are.... these trucks are rev happy and still undergeared in my opinion.  Two is I add a Detroit Locker in the back at the same time and toss the gov lock in the trash.  All win!

Good majority of the planet leaves it stock and just drives it.  
I would agree the 4.56's would be pretty cool.

Archived