'16 silverado 2500HD, to lift/level or not to lift/level

Just throwing this out there.  I recently took my truck hunting in north Idaho.  I was a little worried because my truck is stock height and there are some fairly gnarly forest roads back where we hunt.  Anyway, I didn't have any problems at all.   My feeling is that you do not need to lift or level your truck unless you are really doing some offroading that is far beyond what most of us would ever consider doing with our trucks.  I think a stock 4x4 will take you anywhere you want to go.

That said, I take it some people may level or lift for looks, and aren't doing it to keep from getting stuck.  

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, i82much said:

Just throwing this out there.  I recently took my truck hunting in north Idaho.  I was a little worried because my truck is stock height and there are some fairly gnarly forest roads back where we hunt.  Anyway, I didn't have any problems at all.   My feeling is that you do not need to lift or level your truck unless you are really doing some offroading that is far beyond what most of us would ever consider doing with our trucks.  I think a stock 4x4 will take you anywhere you want to go.

That said, I take it some people may level or lift for looks, and aren't doing it to keep from getting stuck.  

Glad to hear it worked out for you, those of us that use our trucks rip the front valance off and bottom out regularly.

Hit a bull hole doing about 40mph going across a pasture one time and you will wish you had more up travel and ground clearance.

5 minutes ago, i82much said:

Some of us work in parts of the world where the added ground clearance helps... because they don't plow snow in the winter and the ruts gets deep in the mud in the summer  I enjoy my valence on the truck so every bit helps.  I know that's not the norm... I don't drive a mall crawler like 95% of people lifting their truck.

But stock is boring anyway lol.

I have no idea where you guys drive your trucks, so I will take your word for it that you need your lifts.  That said, I was 50 miles from the nearest hard road in north Idaho and didn't need a lift, so I think there are plenty of guys out there that can go everywhere they want to go at stock height.  

7 minutes ago, i82much said:

I have no idea where you guys drive your trucks, so I will take your word for it that you need your lifts.  That said, I was 50 miles from the nearest hard road in north Idaho and didn't need a lift, so I think there are plenty of guys out there that can go everywhere they want to go at stock height.  

You can come drive here anytime on the roads I work on..  Oil field roads on a military run air weapons range.  All that will happen is your valence will just get destroyed like every other stock Chevy.  It's not a necessity.. I just actually like my truck lol.  

And honestly the stock rake on these trucks looks retarded.  

Your a pavement pounder like most guys... leave it stock lol.

3 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

You can come drive here anytime on the roads I work on..  Oil field roads on a military run air weapons range.  All that will happen is your valence will just get destroyed like every other stock Chevy.  It's not a necessity.. I just actually like my truck lol.  

I'm good.  When I destroy my valence, I will deal with it.  

Cold lake?

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

It was a little soft getting onto the ice yesterday. The ford and the dodge are stock height and dragged all the way through the rutted up entrance. My leveled 2500 didn’t even touch. 

AC7E50D0-B19D-45ED-8CB2-7D509D2A4C69_zps

38ED26E8-93D0-47A8-B74C-D88C6AB479EB_zps

On 12/11/2017 at 10:36 AM, rocnrol said:

It's just me going through the exercise of "what would it take to get my truck to like stock, or better, performance after I change something" it allows me to make informed decisions on whether further modifications are needed, if they're really necessary, or if I even want to make a change in the first place.

I'd say go for the 34's, I think you won't be disappointed, but just be aware, your mileage will suffer a bit, and you might notice the truck shift a gear on hill it never did before, tis all

^^^This. If I had a 4 speed transmission, or if I had 35's on a 1500 with 3:42 gears, then I would definitely consider other gearing options. However, with the 6 speed, 4:10, and 34's, the slight difference in MPG and shifting isn't nearly enough to justify the cost of any major changes. 

If you have 4.10 I guess... still has the shoddy gov lock though lol.  It works for the average Joe.. I know.  I probably will be the only one on the forum to actually re-gear and change anything from stock. The lack of information on the axles is lame but oh well.

On 12/13/2017 at 10:12 PM, SierraHD17 said:

If you have 4.10 I guess... still has the shoddy gov lock though lol.  It works for the average Joe.. I know.  I probably will be the only one on the forum to actually re-gear and change anything from stock. The lack of information on the axles is lame but oh well.

I'm really curious to see your results with the 4:56. I think you'll be the only guy on the forum with a gear swap on a new HD gasser. 

17 minutes ago, Big Whiskey said:

I'm really curious to see your results with the 4:56. I think you'll be the only guy on the forum with a gear swap on a new HD gasser. 

Yeah I think so lol.  I am go junk yard shopping tomorrow to snag an open carrier.  I was going to hold out for a factory 4.56 geared one but really..... I won't reuse the old gears if I do get one and whether I use the thick gears for the 4.10 and down carrier or the normal thickness gears they are the same price so it really doesn't matter.  I can't find anyone with a 2015 up gas truck that has done a gear swap so it should be fun.  I should stop in at GM and get them to run part numbers from the 2014 and older rigs to mine to be certain nothing changed.  

Either way if the truck is still at the yard my carrier will come out of a 1985 3+3 1 ton single wheel 2 wheel drive haha.  

I'm actually quite surprised at how well the gov lock works

29 minutes ago, rocnrol said:

I'm actually quite surprised at how well the gov lock works

I'm not lol... but then having owned a truck with a real locker in it for over 100000 miles of time ( and still own 3 with a Detroit but don't daily them) makes you despise them.  Thing is useless... just like the half ton version.

I'm not lol... but then having owned a truck with a real locker in it for over 100000 miles of time ( and still own 3 with a Detroit but don't daily them) makes you despise them.  Thing is useless... just like the half ton version.
I hear you, I have a jeep set up for some serious wheeling, with a Detroit in the rear diff, and the Gov lock is not that. But when the truck can move forward in two wheel drive, with a back tire completely in the air.... that's pretty cool.

Archived