In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and looking any suggestions on a problem that has me stumped with my avalanche. It has a hard start condition. It seems to be related to the outside temperature. I didn't do it all winter and started back as the weather warmed up. It starts fine if the engine is completely cold and it starts fine if you crank it within about 15-20 minutes after cutting it off. If I cut the truck off and let it sit for two hours and try to start it it cranks for several seconds before starting. it's a 2004 with the 5.3. It doesn't have an inline fuel filter or a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. Everything is in the tank module, which I have replace with a new AC Delco unit. I have also replaced the evap vent and purge solenoid. I'm going to try a crank sensor just for the heck of it tomorrow. It doesn't set any codes. Does this sound familiar to anyone. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Start simple battery alternator starter than move to fuel system leaking down. Do a fuel leak down test after testing all the basics with the ignition system.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I haven't taken the starter and had it tested but it spins fast and sounds normal. The battery is only a couple months old and the alternator makes 13.8v

Try turning on the key, BUT do not attempt to start. Wait 5 seconds, turn key off. Then try to start normally and report your results.

My 2002 starts like a champ. I just replaced my starter but it still caught when it cranked.

I'd say it might be fuel injection pressure or spark related to air flow sensor. The air mass flow sensor might be off when it warms and is mixing air and gas too lean and causing ignition delays ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, I fought with this truck all day yesterday. I put a crank sensor it it first and as I expected it didn't help. I checked spark, fuel pressure and everything else I could think of. Everything checked out fine. I noticed when I could duplicate the hard start I would smell raw gas for a sec right when it started. So I got the truck to spin over for about 4-5 seconds and stopped right before the engine fired. I pulled all the spark plugs and when I got to #5 the plug looked damp and smelled strongly of gas! I finally got a clue. The injector seemed to be leaking down. I called around and found an injector locally. I installed it it starts up perfectly every time.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By austinhite
      I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado 4x4 5.3l V8 with the 8 speed transmission. I already flushed out my transmission and filled it back up with the Mobil 1™ Synthetic LV ATF HP blue label. The question is, do i also use the HP fluid for my transfer case? Or do i need to use just a standard ATF fluid instead. I cant seem to find a straight answer on this. The owners manual states to use DEXRON®-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid. Would using regular ATF in the transfer case and HP ATF in the transmission cause any issues? Thanks in advance!
    • By jenglish421
      So I have a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 at 35k miles and I got a flashing CEL for about 30 seconds a few weeks ago on the highway and took it it to auto parts store but it had no codes present. About a week and a half ago the CEL came on constant and it came up with the P50D Rough Idle and so I got oil changed and ran some fuel system cleaner through and after a couple days the light started flashing and ran rough for a few min, I parked it and started it 10 min later and it was a solid CEL again but I was able to pull a P300 General misfire code. Today it did the same thing but ran worse than ever and I thought it was going to die on me, shut it down for 10 min and it ran ok. Before I start throwing money at this where should I start, spark plugs, coil packs, injectors? I'm at a loss with only 35k and just passed the 3yr warranty. Thanks for any advice.
    • By VinceWeiss
      I have an 06 Silverado with 215k miles. Has the L33 Aluminum Block 5.3 in it. It runs great, has good power, but has an odd ticking/knocking noise. It doesn’t make the noise until it’s been running for about a minute so I don’t think it’s exhaust. I also do not think it’s a lifter because it sounds more lower end towards the rear of the engine. Has anyone had any experience with these L33s knocking? It has been making this noise for a while now and it’s very annoying/embarrassing. I’m not sure if oil has anything to do with it but I use penzoil 5w30 full syn. Let me know if you have any ideas, thanks.
    • By Fortino510
      Hello im new to this forum. I have been searching for silimar sounds my truck is making on here but i can't seem to find one. So my truck is a 2020 silverado rst 5.3 8 speed crewcab 4x4 and has 1,600 miles. It makes this clicking sound similar to a clock. I went underneath the truck to listen for the sound and it appears to be coming from transmission area. Any thoughts of what the sound is? Ill attach a sound clip. Its a cold start but it also does it when its warmed up.
      20201103_053649_2_1.mp4
    • By OldDirtySpartan
      Hi all,

Long time lurker who finally created an account. Y'all have been a wealth of info and I really appreciate it.

I have a 2001 Tahoe LT Autoride with the 5.3. My father-in-law bought it new and I bought it from him when he upgraded to a 2019 Tahoe Premier. I've been going through the Tahoe since buying it from him. It was always maintained at the dealer and serviced at every interval.
      The issue I am having now is a hard start when cold. It takes at least 2 cranks to get it started in the morning or after a long period of not driving.
      I have searched the forums and found some help but no threads with results. Here is what I have done so far to remedy the issue.
      -New plugs
      -New fuel filter
      -New fuel pump
      -Techron in tank (one bottle so far)
      I have a new fuel pressure regulator coming and will swap that next but the telltale signs of failure aren't there (gas leaking through vacuum line).

The truck had one other issue that has since been fixed. It would overheat (on the gauge) on hot days mainly at low speeds and belch coolant when turned off. I ended up replacing the fan clutch, coolant temp sensor, expansion tank, thermostat, and expansion tank cap.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks all!