2017 Duramax Recommends Using Only GM DEF to Avoid Problems

UPDATE TO MY ORIGINAL POST

After working closely with GM (returning to the dealer 11 times) and GM Corporate, I'm picking up my new 2018 Truck. After GM's regional mechanics did everything possible to repair the DEF system and numerous ghost codes, they finally agreed to take the truck back and replace it with a 2018 Truck.

I also understand that GM has numerous engineers working on a permanent fix for this problem.This will be interesting to follow because they replaced my 2017 with a similarly equipped 2018.

I'm satisfied with the final result. For those of you that said it must have been my fault using faulty DEF, be advised I NEVER ADDED ANY DEF AT ALL. GM added DEF as necessary. The bottom line is for other owners havin similar problems, it is well worth standing up and pushing GM to take your truck back if they aren't able to fix it.

I purchased a 2017 GMC 2500 HD Denali Duramax on May 21, 2017. I have driven it less than 8000 miles and have had it in the dealership 4 separate times because the check engine light came on.

They did “burn downs”, tightened a cold air pipe to the engine, and reprogramming the computer.

After driving more that 250 miles to and from the GM dealership and spending numerous days of my time dealing with this issue, I spoke with the dealership owner. He shared the following information:

After speaking with his GM regional representative, he was told that “GM programmed computers on 2017 GMC trucks equipped with the Duramax engine to detect any DEF that didn’t meet the exact same quality specifications as GM DEF”.

More plainly stated, GM is essentially forcing 2017 Duramax owners to buy GM DEF or there is a real chance the check engine light will come on and the vehicle could eventually go into shutdown mode.

This would clearly pose a problem for everyone that buys DEF from anyone other that GM. I have a motor coach that requires DEF. Farmers and other businesses that own 2017 Duramax equipped trucks, and have other vehicles requiring DEF would also be severely impacted. We buy and store DEF from third party sellers, because it is more convenient and much cheaper than buying DEF from GM.

NOTE: A service bulletin has just been released that requires owners to bring their vehicles in to have the computers reprogrammed. This is supposed to reduce the sensitivity related to DEF quality. I had this done to my truck and will do a follow-up post after I add NON GM DEF to my truck.

​

I recently took delivery of a 2017 GMC 2500HD Denali with the Duramax. As soon as I hit 300 miles, the CEL came on as well. Judging from the readings in this post, this might not be a fun ride... Fortunately I was just around the corner from the dealer and was able to drop it off immediately. The first tech plugged in a code reader. He didn't give me the code, but said that the sensors are showing as not reading. They admitted the truck into the service cue. I will provide updates on my experience.

jj46 - Can you please hint a tad more as to where that other post that you at referencing is located? Sounds like I'd better get more educated on this.

p.s. I have not even driven enough to add fuel, nor any other fluids such as DEF, to my vehicle.

p.s.s. jj46 I believe that I found the lengthy post that you were referring to. Since I am not sure if it is kosher to redirect on this forum, I will refrain from linking.

Yeah I don't think they like us posting other forum links. Keep us updated. My CEL has come on at 450 and 950 miles. Next time it will be going in. Also need to get the TCM updated, the thing can't decide if it wants the torque converter locked up or not during normal acceleration between 30 - 50 mph.

• 4 months later...
On 2017-09-27 at 12:12 PM, jimstringer said:

NOTE: A service bulletin has just been released that requires owners to bring their vehicles in to have the computers reprogrammed. This is supposed to reduce the sensitivity related to DEF quality.

Do you have any details on that TSB, like the number and/or date?

All DEF is made to the same ISO specification.  (ISO 22241)

From the latest (2018) diesel supplement to the owners manual:

Caution
Use only DEF that is GM approved, or fluid containing the API certified or ISO 22241 label.
The use of other fluids could damage the system, requiring costly repairs that will not be covered by the vehicle warranty. 

If anyone every finds DEF that is not ISO 22241, pleas, please post the information.

1 hour ago, Outlaw Pilot said:

Do you have any details on that TSB, like the number and/or date?

It is a recall.

It was first released Nov 1, 2017, and has been updated since.  Link to 17337-01 revision:

https://gm.oemdtc.com/8169/17337-01-emission-recall-diesel-particulate-matter-sensor-diagnostic-fault-2016-2018-chevrolet-gmc#more-8169

• 4 years later...

I have an 18 2500.  This truck is complete garbage,  117k back to dealer for 3 entire fuel system replacement. They have changed harness, ecm, injectors, rails and now back in limp mode with bad injection pump, $11k to repair on extended warranty. GM corporations will give financing to dealer for fix... 3rd time for this. When I get the truck back, trading it for an older no def truck. No more GM. They know this is an issue and the techs just keep throwing parts at it, always used GM Def.  Hate it but done with GM. They don't stand by their product.  I have a $55,000 paperweight