Towing discrepancy with 6.2l 3.42 rear diff

Hey everyone, new to the forum and id appreciate a little insight into towing capability between the 2014 sierra/silverado 6.2l with 3.42 (9400lbs) and the comparable 2017 6.2l with max tow 3.42 (11,700). I know it now has 8 spd and new j28 regs were encorporated in 2015 but really is there that much difference in these trucks (2300lbs)? I am looking now to purchase a truck and maybe a 28-30ft travel trailer in the next year or so and I don't want to be limited to a handful of paper thin models. I'm fairly new to towing something that big and I want to be sure the truck can handle it. Also considering a 5.3l with 3.42 and 6spd but I'm thinking that will really limit my options (9100lbs). All trucks are crew std box 4x4. If anyone has any insight on this or experience towing with any of these then please chirp in. Maybe im being too hard on the little 5.3l??

Yes, the gearing has all to do with it. 8 speed has much steeper gears 1-5 vs. the 6 speed. For the 6 speed to equate in towing, you need more gears. Now, if the 2014 6.2 was a max trailer, it would have 3.73 gears, and 11,700 towing, give or take 100-300lbs depending on body style.

As for travel trailer, you have to consider dry weight, wet weight, how much stuff you will be putting in it, tongue weight, etc. You can overload a 1/2 ton truck really fast as payloads are much lower than a 3/4 ton truck. You may find yourself having to look for a light weight trailer.

Edited by 15HDriver
  • Like 1

Okay, so I'm going to be a pain in the ass then and ask another question. If the 8spd added 2300lbs towing in the 2016-17 6.2l 3.42 (max tow) models compared to the 2014-15 6.2l 3.42 why didn't the 5.3l improve in 2016 with the 8 addition? It actually decreased by 300lbs from the 2014/15 model 3.42 with 6spd to 9100. I'm just wondering if the used 2014 sierra with 3.42 is actually more capable than originally specified. I mean the 2014 trailering guide puts the 6.2l 100lbs less towing than the 5.3 with 3.42 diff!

Okay, so I'm going to be a pain in the ass then and ask another question. If the 8spd added 2300lbs towing in the 2016-17 6.2l 3.42 (max tow) models compared to the 2014-15 6.2l 3.42 why didn't the 5.3l improve in 2016 with the 8 addition? It actually decreased by 300lbs from the 2014/15 model 3.42 with 6spd to 9100. I'm just wondering if the used 2014 sierra with 3.42 is actually more capable than originally specified. I mean the 2014 trailering guide puts the 6.2l 100lbs less towing than the 5.3 with 3.42 diff!

You can't compare ratio to ratio, that's why.

2014 6.2 with 6L80 6 speed auto:

3.42 standard gears = not max trailer

3.73 optional gears = max trailer

2015-2018 6.2 with 8L90 8 speed auto:

3.23 standard gears = not max trailer

3.42 optional gears = max trailer

As for the 2300lbs difference on both the 3.42 gear trucks, its a difference of transmission.

6L80 Gear Ratios:

First: 4.030

Second: 2.360

Third: 1.530

Fourth: 1.150

Fifth: 0.850

Sixth: 0.670

8L90 Gear Ratios:

First: 4.560

Second: 2.970

Third: 2.080

Fourth: 1.690

Fifth: 1.270

Sixth: 1.000

Seventh: 0.850

Eighth: 0.650

Note that the 8L90 has a much stronger gear reduction range than the 6L80. Due to that, it takes less final drive ratio to get more gear multiplication to the wheels. Take first gear for example:

6L80 with 3.42 gears:

First Gear: 4.03:1 x 3.42:1 = 13.78:1

With 3.73 gears:

First Gear: 4.03:1 x 3.73:1 = 15.03:1

Now for the 8L90 with 3.23 Gears:

First: 4.56:1 x 3.23:1 = 14.73:1

Now the 8L90 with 3.42 Gears:

First: 4.56:1 x 3.42:1 = 15.60:1

This math can be applied to all the gears ratios for both transmissions.

Note how much more total multiplication is provided with both final drives on the 8L90 over the 6L80. More gears, allows for a better spread of ratios, and can allow for really steep first gears, but have a strong pulling range down to direct 1:1, and for fuel efficiency, more overdrive.

As for the 5.3/3.42/A8 small towing loss over the 6 speed? Not sure GM's reasoning.

• Like 3

If a large travel trailer is definitely in your plans, then I would recommend giving a 2500 serious consideration. I understand that a lack of power when pulling a large trailer with a 1/2 ton is not always the first inadequacy you notice. I do not own a travel trailer yet but owning 1/2 ton truck closes the door on a lot of RV choices. I have come across great deals on slide-in campers, 5th wheel units and larger trailers that I couldn't consider.

I have a 28' travel trailer that weighs about 8000lbs ready to go. The tongue weight is about 1050lbs or so. Generally 1/2 ton trucks have about 1600lbs payload. You don't have much left to carry people, gas, camping gear, etc. I use a 3/4 ton truck and have 1600lbs left after hooking up the trailer. You can feel the trailer there and I wouldn't be comfortable towing it with a 1/2 ton. I think the manufacturers overrate the 1/2 ton trucks just to sell more. It would be ridiculous to tow 11000lbs with a 1/2 ton- it will do it but not comfortably bu any means. I can't imagine towing my trailer with a 1/2 ton. I would need a few drinks once I get where I'm going to relax:). But some people are not affected by that kind of stress. I enjoy the trip and get there feeling like I'm on vacation rather than feeling like I need one.

If you are keeping your trailer selection to 5000lbs or less a 1/2 ton should work well though.

• Like 3

From the website the payload for a crew is 2120lb. Now I'm sure that's an empty tank and no-one driving but with 12% TW on a 7500lb trailer I'm looking at 900lb. Plus family and gear 900lb plus gas 150lb.. I'm at 1950. It's close but there's still some space around the collar. I am however puzzled how to tow 11700lb with a half ton..the new ford is 13200..but I won't open that can of b.s

• Like 2

From the ratios, you would think the tow ratings on the 1500s with the 6.2L/8-speed/3.23 rear-end would be higher, but that still begs the question whether the 1500 should be rated so high when properly equipped. The truck just doesn't have the braking of the 2500 HD or 3500 HD.

When choosing a trailer, you should look at the TT GVWR rather than the dry weight (which, like curb weight is pretty meaningless). Take 15% as a maximum estimate of your tongue weight on the hitch. Weigh your truck at a CAT scale with a full tank of fuel, the hitch, you, and all of your passengers. Subtract your scale weight from the truck's GVWR and you have your payload. Add your scale weight to the TT GVWR. If it is less than your GCVWR, you are ok. If your calculated tongue weight is higher than the remaining payload, you need a tow vehicle with a higher payload rating or, you can load your trailer and tow it down to the scale and weight your truck-trailer combo with the weight-distributing spring bars off. That will tell you your actual tongue weigh. There are many nice, comfortable trailers that can be towed by a 1/2 ton like the 1500 Silverado/Sierra but you have to make choices and compromises. Look at the GVWR of the trailer while shopping. I wouldn't tow anything over about 7600 GVWR with a 1500. If you have a bunch of kids, you should get a 2500 or probably even a 3500.

Edited by elchilero53

I just went on a little 2500+ mile trip with my light, paper thin TT and I wouldn't even want anything less than a 3/4 ton with a diesel motor. There is no way in hell a 1/2 ton truck can safely pull 11000 lbs long distance, nor want to afford the fuel.

• Like 1

​

I have a 28' travel trailer that weighs about 8000lbs ready to go. The tongue weight is about 1050lbs or so. Generally 1/2 ton trucks have about 1600lbs payload. You don't have much left to carry people, gas, camping gear, etc. I use a 3/4 ton truck and have 1600lbs left after hooking up the trailer. You can feel the trailer there and I wouldn't be comfortable towing it with a 1/2 ton. I think the manufacturers overrate the 1/2 ton trucks just to sell more. It would be ridiculous to tow 11000lbs with a 1/2 ton- it will do it but not comfortably bu any means. I can't imagine towing my trailer with a 1/2 ton. I would need a few drinks once I get where I'm going to relax:). But some people are not affected by that kind of stress. I enjoy the trip and get there feeling like I'm on vacation rather than feeling like I need one.
If you are keeping your trailer selection to 5000lbs or less a 1/2 ton should work well though.

this is a great post. I have a 1 ton (due to dealer discounts, I paid the same as a 3/4 ton plus I get roughly 70% discount on vehicle registration in Minnesota - saving a little more than $350/year). the 8000lb trailer is in a funny gray area between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton Technically, it is 1/2 towable and I can load everything up without going over payload if I plan ahead.

I've looked and looked, even test driving various 1/2 ton GM trucks and hooking them up to my trailer adjusting WHD, etc., but can't find anything under 3/4 ton that pulls my 8000lb trailer as comfortably as I'd like.

The 1/2 ton pulls and stops it just fine (even the 5.3), but it gets squirrel-y when I get on the open road. I'd be afraid of a windy day or bad road conditions.

I would love to try a Max Tow (NHT) or HD Payload 1/2 ton ('HD Payload' is roughy the F150 equivalent of GM Max Tow) with my trailer but they are unicorns around me and I can't even get a dealer to talk to me about one without putting a deposit down for them to order one on my behalf. Maybe something with LT tires would do better. I've considered the Nissan Titan XD, but I've read mixed reviews and a few test drives haven't blown me away. Either way, I'm sticking with my 1 ton until I can find something to pull (pull, stop, etc.) my trailer with relative ease.

Thanks everyone for the response. So here is how I am interpreting the info thus far for someone who is not comfortable running over on any weight ratings for the 1/2 ton. The likelihood of exceeding tow rating before GVWR OR payload is slim with respect to family vacationing with a TT. I cannot find any information to distinguish difference between any payload OR GVWR in the 1500 series configured with the same bed/cab. Henceforth the max tow NHT, while increasing towing, will not increase payload or GVWR capability regardless of engine size. So the 5.3l with 9100lb towing and 3.42 diff is probably best matched to its payload capacity for family hauling. Will the 6.2l tow it easier? Definitely. Will it hold up more weight and handle better? Not likely? By all means feel free to correct my hypothesis here ?

This can be a difficult situation when buying a truck and trailer. Either you buy a truck and need to stay in those parameters, or find a trailer you want and purchase the truck to do the job.

So I have a 28' TT that is supposed to be around 6500 lbs or so. As it sits with options, 7200 lbs. now put in water, generator, food, and whatever the wife and kids can pack in there, we are at 8k.

You can see the truck I have in my profile, and avatar. My camper works the diesel where I go. It might be different where you reside if it is flat, sea level, and no long hauling.

Remember that wind resistance catches up to you on TT, and are harder to tow than a GN trailer. Take some advice from some of the people that have "been there, done that" and look at a smaller 24' max trailer with 5500 lbs. You'll thank me later so your not selling a camper, selling a truck, or crashing both.

From the website the payload for a crew is 2120lb. Now I'm sure that's an empty tank and no-one driving but with 12% TW on a 7500lb trailer I'm looking at 900lb. Plus family and gear 900lb plus gas 150lb.. I'm at 1950. It's close but there's still some space around the collar. I am however puzzled how to tow 11700lb with a half ton..the new ford is 13200..but I won't open that can of b.s

GM calculates payload with full tank, options and one driver weighing 150lbs.

If you are 900lbs family and gear, 900lbs tongue that's 1800lbs, leaving 320lbs remaining payload. A 1500 can be very easily overloaded, especially if you have a hefty trailer.

I would advise not going off the "website". Go and find an NHT or a truck you'd consider, and look at the tire load placard in the driver's door jamb. That will show the correct payload for that specific vehicle as its optioned. They are all different than the "specs" on any of the Chevy/GMC sites, and the payload specs in the order guide.

Thanks everyone for the response. So here is how I am interpreting the info thus far for someone who is not comfortable running over on any weight ratings for the 1/2 ton. The likelihood of exceeding tow rating before GVWR OR payload is slim with respect to family vacationing with a TT. I cannot find any information to distinguish difference between any payload OR GVWR in the 1500 series configured with the same bed/cab. Henceforth the max tow NHT, while increasing towing, will not increase payload or GVWR capability regardless of engine size. So the 5.3l with 9100lb towing and 3.42 diff is probably best matched to its payload capacity for family hauling. Will the 6.2l tow it easier? Definitely. Will it hold up more weight and handle better? Not likely? By all means feel free to correct my hypothesis here

Max trailer does have some payload increase over a regular truck per owners on this site. As for engine choice, that will depend on your frequency of towing. The more you tow, you will want the 6.2.

• Like 1

GM calculates payload with full tank, options and one driver weighing 150lbs.

If you are 900lbs family and gear, 900lbs tongue that's 1800lbs, leaving 320lbs remaining payload. A 1500 can be very easily overloaded, especially if you have a hefty trailer.

I would advise not going off the "website". Go and find an NHT or a truck you'd consider, and look at the tire load placard in the driver's door jamb. That will show the correct payload for that specific vehicle as its optioned. They are all different than the "specs" on any of the Chevy/GMC sites, and the payload specs in the order guide.

Max trailer does have some payload increase over a regular truck per owners on this site. As for engine choice, that will depend on your frequency of towing. The more you tow, you will want the 6.2.

I looked at the offerings at my dealership. The Max Tow package for the 1500 was impressive but there was still the issue of payload. I only tow about three weeks total out of the year with a 5500 lb. trailer, so I really don't need a 2500 truck. Now, the 6.2L I did want, so I got what will work for me and my wife (no kids, just a couple of puddy tats). The 6.2L runs like a dream and it has a lot more power than the 5.3 on long climbs, so it will handle the trailer well. If we go with a different trailer, I still have some wiggle room for something with a different floor plan with a little more GVWR without coming near the weight and tow limits on the truck. It is great for commuting with excellt mileage (I've averaged 22.1 MPG over the last 1950 miles with mixed highway and city driving) and the versatility is terrific. A 6.2L and 8-speed with some 3.42 and 3.73 rear ends in the 2500 series would be tremendous towing machines. I guess we'll see if GM goes in this direction.

• Like 1

About the only time I have seen that one could effectively pull some of the tow ratings is if they are pulling a trailer with a dead tongue.. like a grain wagon, anhydrous wagon, etc like used in agriculture. Otherwise, payload on the truck itself becomes a major issue. If one is going to be pulling heavy, the 3/4 ton trucks are a much better proposition. Everything from suspension, brakes, etc is substantially beefier. Gas or diesel, it is just a much more satisfying experience.

• Like 1