24 minutes ago, Viktorrocks15 said:

Did you get the video from mvi, the YouTube one., I’m trying to decided if I go this route or aftermarket wondering if you might Pm with link.thanks in advance.

PM sent.

• 1 month later...

Hi, roughly  how much am I looking at this costing me if I do it myself. I was looking at the headrest players by gm as an alternative.i have a sunroof in my truck. Thanks

Hi, roughly  how much am I looking at this costing me if I do it myself. I was looking at the headrest players by gm as an alternative.i have a sunroof in my truck. Thanks

You’re looking about 700 if you do it yourself,

Over head flip down $ 50.00 on eBay
Front DVD player $ 100.00
Front DVD player harness $199.00
HMI programming $ 250-350 +/-
Flip down to radio harness $ 250.00

And I spent another $60.00 on bracket and parts but since you have the sunroof your already have the bracket there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Headliner - GM 23101816 - $883
Headliner Harness - GM 23124130 - $145
Console Harness - GM 22962552 - $116
Center Console Rear Trim - 22894643 - $43
Center Console Rear Pluggins - 22894643 -$143
DVD Player - GM 23207244 ; 23129687 - $911
DVD Screen - GM 23379291 - $430
Bracket - GM 22809311 - $23
DVD Retainer Nut (Clip) - GM 11609345 - $4
Remote Control - GM 84012997 - $73
Head Phones - GM 22863047 - $80

This is the parts number as well as new part prices in CAD.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, rcmike said:

There is a large price range depending on your end goal.  If you don't want or need the rear console inputs, then it will be a lot cheaper than any headrest system that I know of, especially since you already have a sunroof.  If you wanted to do EXACTLY what I did, you should be around the cost of a headrest system.   If you are wanting to do this to your 2016 High Country 3500, it should be similar in cost to what I spent on my 2016 2500 LTZ as the only difference in interior options is the sunroof unless you have the snow plow prep package.  With you having a sunroof, it is easier and cheaper as you'll save on the cost of the headliner I purchased which was $698.75 according to my records.  The screen mounts directly to the sunroof frame so you won't need the mounting bracket, mounting bolts or retaining nut inserts for the mounting bolts either though those aren't expensive.  Depending on your skill level, it's really not a hard install but is a little time consuming compared to a headrest system install, especially if you go my route.

In my opinion, this is extremely better than any headrest system especially if you get the unlocked programming for the HMI and go the full route adding the rear inputs to add the HDMI input.  With the HDMI input, you can use streaming devices to watch nearly anything and use current gaming consoles.  We use it for our PlayStation Vue, Vudu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, PS4 and SNES gaming consoles.  It has made road trips more enjoyable, especially the 32 hour round trip we made.  The benefit of going this route is the front passenger can also enjoy watching and you don't have a kid(s) with their face(s) plastered to a tablet/phone and can monitor what they are actually watching/doing from the driver's seat.  Also, you still have the ability for the front and rear to be using different sources at the same time, i.e. front watching a video but the rear using the headphones to listen to the radio or vice versa if desired.

If you didn't want to spend time sourcing parts for the lowest possible prices through ebay and other places, MVI has very competitive prices.  Since it looks like you are in the Dallas area, I would try to meet up with Viktorrocks15 or pgamboa since they are also in the area as I have shared info with both (sorry to volunteer you guys).  Also, what parts that I did not source from MVI, I sourced from my friend at Classic Chevrolet there in Grapevine.  He can save you some money most of the time.  The prices on the parts I sourced from my friend at Grapevine are cheaper than what WesternMike posted above.  Also, on the rear console trim panel, P/N 22894643 which cost me $29.93, includes the radio controls/inputs and is cheaper than the radio controls/inputs separately (P/N 23249910) or the trim panel without controls (P/N 22816697) which makes no sense as you get more for less money.  If you have other questions, feel free to PM me.

• Like 3

I was Volun-told. lol :)

All good@BlkSS. We are both undergoing this install and has been a great learning experience. Lol.

Thanks for your wealth of knowledge and requirements on this upgrade.

• Like 1

Why don’t you give us a link for these cheaper prices then budd? It’s great to know some people get better prices, but why not share with us.

I also can’t find any info regarding 22894643 that it contains controls. When I eBay it; it shows when the price much higher even it does contain controls.

Really looking forward to your insight where we can source these parts much cheaper.

And remember.. my prices were listed in CAD(that’s Canadian dollar).

89cadf3168bb3e89eaa47405cd323e0e.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the info,,,,,,, do I read that right above,the flip down gm screen is $50 ?    So the dvd itself is not in the overhead unit on roof,it’s somewhere in the front ? Is that why I see the cost additional for a DVD player in front ?    Is there anyone in the Dallas Fort Worth area that has this done that I could  meet you somewhere and look at so I know what to expect and have a good idea of how my install is going to go ?  Thanks everyone 

First I want to apologize as this post is going to be long and vary form the topic on hand.

@WesternMike, there are various online sites to search if you want to purchase online.  gmpartsdirect.com, nationalgmparts.com, cheapestgmparts.com, etc. are just a few sites and they are mostly wholesale prices.  Also, Classic Chevrolet (where my friend works), their online parts website is nationalgmparts.com.  Currently, the price through them for 22894643 is $30.02 USD as prices do change overtime.  I wasn't trying to brag about the prices I paid or that you had bad prices, I was just being informative.  Like you pointed out, those are in CAD and the prices will be different, everyone should realize that.  @rcmike is from the DFW area which is where Classic Chevrolet Grapevine is located and which is where I sourced all of my parts that I did not get from MVI, excluding the headliner though my friend at Classic did get me in touch with the dealer that I purchased the headliner from as they already had the headliner in stock.

When purchasing online, you need to be very careful because there are many people who don't know what they are actually selling and assume things will fit all years though it actually fits only a certain year(s).  Also, the wholesale parts websites can't keep their sites up-to-date 100% of the time as there are MANY, MANY changes that occur ALL THE TIME with superseded P/N's, etc.  This is the case with nationalgmparts.com for P/N 22894643 as it shows the same part for 2015-16 and 2017+.  For P/N 22894643, the first image in the screenshot you posted shows the rear inputs for 2017+.  That is not the inputs for the 2015 and 2016s and to my knowledge will not work unless you retrofit 2017+ harnesses to work and then there may also be programming issues as the 2015-16 programming does not have an HDMI input in the software.  The HDMI input I installed is spliced into the RCA inputs and I access that input by selecting the AUX input.  For 2017+, that particular AUX input is now gone being replaced by the rear HDMI input and a second USB input (as pictured).  A couple other things regarding the online parts, I have had the occasion where they will cancel my order because they won't charge enough shipping or they want an arm and a leg to ship something rather small.  They also don't list every available part either.

With the part in question, 22894643, when looking at the film in the parts catalog and you see a box around numerous pieces, it means everything is included that is inside the box with that particular part (#4 in the second picture in the screenshot).  They SHOULD all come together though this is not 100% correct which I have experienced first hand but everything was included when I purchased this part and this is correct MOST of the time.  I personally don't purchase much parts online, especially when I am "exploring" to modify my vehicle, especially if things are not certain in the film as the dealers will always have the most up-to-date information.  If you run into an issue based on a discrepancy according to the film, the dealer has always made it right with me at least, because their resource from the manufacturer was incorrect.  Any good dealership should do this in my opinion.

95% of the time, I purchase from my friend there at Classic Chevrolet Grapevine because he has a wealth of knowledge due to his years of experience, not to mention to also give him the sales as he is paid on commission.  When you are doing modifications like this to your vehicle, there can be numerous options depending on RPO codes that can affect what you actually need.  Someone that has the experience and knowledge that my friend does, can do this easily so you are not getting incorrect parts.  For instance, if you have been following the 2018 wireless charging module upgrade/retrofit, there was a new wireless charging mat for 2018.  Many people posted that they went to the dealership and the dealer's parts film shows it is the same exact part for 2016-2018, though we all knew this wasn't the case as you could physically see that the mat was different.  When I asked my friend about the 2018 charging mat, he said in the details there was a new P/N but it just couldn't be ordered yet.  Once he told me the part was available to order (took over a month from when I first asked him about the new part, to when the part was "built" in the system to be ordered), I posted the 2018 P/N in the write-up. 

With my experience in the automotive industry, one thing that is certain, a knowledgeable parts guy is worth his weight in gold.  When you yourself is working on commission and you are delayed because some unknowledgeable parts guy ordered the wrong part and now you can't get that vehicle out, thus not getting paid for the work (I personally won't pre-flag jobs), it will piss you off more than a little if you are like me.  This is also true when working on your own vehicle.  When you have torn your vehicle down to replace or modify whatever you are working on only to find out you have the wrong part, you have 2 options, put everything back together wasting your time or leave your vehicle in pieces until you can get the correct part.  Also, when dealing with certain modifications, you may put things back together just to learn a certain function or feature now doesn't work because you have the wrong harness or missing some circuit.  @pgamboa probably understands this first hand better than most due his wiring modifications for all of his mods as he is doing the trial and error for a lot of people.  @rcmike, to answer your question regarding the DVD front, you will need a new disc drive as the one you currently have will only play CDs but will need replaced with the CD/DVD/Blu-ray disc drive.  The rear DVD screen and other parts you can find bargains for on ebay, but again be careful and buy from a reputable seller.  Also, pgamboa and @Viktorrocks15 are both in your area and currently working on this mod as he mentioned above so reach out to them via PM.  Like pgamboa said, he was volun-told!  They are very knowledgeable and don't hesitate to reach out to people on these forums as that's one of the benefits of these.  I don't know all the details they are doing with their install, but once again I will try to answer any questions you may have regarding this and the route I chose.  I haven't listed all the detail of what I did and how I did it as it may scare people off from even trying this.  However I am more than willing to share my info if you PM me, ask pgamboa and Viktorrocks15.  My goal in posting this to let people know there are possibilities out there and more than one way to do it. 

With my friend at Classic Chevrolet Grapevine, I have done A LOT of business with him over the last 10 years and a lot more than the wife would care for.  Not trying to be a D*** but I don't throw his name out, especially on the internet, without his consent.  Loyalty goes a long way in life and in the automotive industry.  What I would recommend is finding a good parts person/dealership and utilize them as much as possible.  If a dealership/parts department wants to earn your business then they will work for it and know they need to be competitive.  Since I moved away from the DFW area, I still use my friend in Grapevine due to my history with him and the few local dealers that I now have access to have not impressed me enough to buy from them.  Is my friend always the cheapest, no.  He has limits on the discounts he can provide and I have to be reasonable as well.  His knowledge and time researching things that I have questions on are worth something.  It's okay to pay a premium even though everyone wants things as cheap as possible.

Rear Console Parts View.bmp

• Like 3

We’ll be adding the rear HDMI panel. Looks like there is an Aux input 2 that comes from
The DVD Player and an Infotainment Signal via USB (also from the DVD Player) Cable.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:31 PM, pgamboa said:

We’ll be adding the rear HDMI panel. Looks like there is an Aux input 2 that comes from
The DVD Player and an Infotainment Signal via USB (also from the DVD Player) Cable.

Let me know when you both have it all finished up.  I was impressed with what Viktorrocks15 showed me so far.  Would have saved me some money.

Edited by BlkSS
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alright!! Here’s the semi-final product, DVD player is working, flip down screen the only thing that is not working is the front screen so that I can play both or individually. Very happy how it turned out, again thanks to Pgamboa and WAMS for all their help.

• Like 4

Hey guys I’m trying to put a build list together on what I’m gonna need. I found the DVD player on amazon for a $130 but everywhere else it’s over 600$. Does that seem right? The part number is the same as in the parts list here. Also I saw the harness for the overhead screen will that even work as I noticed MVI made there own. So not sure what route to go get there’s or the factory harness? The over head screen I seem to have narrowed down as it varies from ones to 2nd and 3rd row with or without sunroof. Grey/shale. Just wanna order the right parts.