In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

New brake pads

The verdict is, find another dealer...this one just tried to hose you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I caught my dealer once in this same scam back in 2007. They told me on the phone I needed new rear pads. I said are you sure? I just rotated my tires and they were fine. Can you go have another look. They called back and said they mistaken a different truck as mine and mine were fine..... A- holes!

• Like 1

Spread em wide boys when going to the dealer!

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm at Midas and they sell me a $2500 brake job on a 20k mile car. Good thing I didn't go to the dealer, probably would've been $6000!!!!

Some peoples misinformed opinion you'll never change, just don't try passing it off as fact, jack ?

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm at Midas and they sell me a $2500 brake job on a 20k mile car. Good thing I didn't go to the dealer, probably would've been $6000!!!!

Some peoples misinformed opinion you'll never change, just don't try passing it off as fact, jack

Ok, whatever....dude wanted opinions about his brakes on his rig? Well that was his "dealers" idea not mine? Be very cautious at any "dealer" son they are business to sell, business? That is a fact, Jack! I am glad he took it upon himself to check? Unfortunately the cruel reality of a capitalist society? Happens all to often......Send a little OL lady into a dealership for some minor work....bud? Then come spout off...........

Ok, whatever....dude wanted opinions about his brakes on his rig? Well that was his "dealers" idea not mine? Be very cautious at any "dealer" son they are business to sell, business? That is a fact, Jack! I am glad he took it upon himself to check? Unfortunately the cruel reality of a capitalist society? Happens all to often......Send a little OL lady into a dealership for some minor work....bud? Then come spout off...........

I'm not here for a pissing contest, so with that said, you're right. Case closed

While I am thinking about how they tried to bend me over, what's the opinion on transmission and transfer case fluid change around 50 K

Hopefully this link is ok to post, i reference gm literature but this is the same info

http://www.duramaxhub.com/duramax-maintenance.html

I've also beat my head against the wall about switching over to transynd fluid when I'm due for trans service, I'm still contemplating. Synthetic fluid that Allison says is good for 150k under all conditions

Edited by Adamrg

Rule #1, don't go to the dealer.

Rule #2, don't go to the dealer.

Obviously your brakes are fine. I do brake jobs for people all the time, and I charge $100 total. Most of the time, all it needs is pads. The pads cost me $10, and it takes 30 minutes to swap them out. If you go to the dealer, they will tell you the pads are getting fairly low, and that you need brakes. They replace the pads, resurface the rotors, replace the calipers, change the brake fluid, etc - and charge you $750 for something that you absolutely did not need. If you look at that picture, there is a "squeaker" in the picture. Its a thin metal tab that is attached to the backing plate. When the pad wears down far enough, that metal tab comes in contact with the rotor and causes a "sqeak" when you apply the brakes. Its put there intentionally as an indicator that the brakes are getting low. At that point, you have a few months left at most, before the brakes are metal to metal. No damage is done to the rotor until you are metal to metal (low grinding sound, and you can feel it in the peddle). So once you hear the squeak, buy some $10 pads and a Chilton repair manual. Or buy the pads and find a mechanic on Craigslist that will swap them out for $50. The next time you feel like going to the dealer, "STOP"!

Common types:

Organic pads: Cheap, wear out faster, easy on the rotors.

Semi metallic: Standard on many vehicles. Good middle ground. (most common)

Ceramic: Standard on many newer vehicles. Considered to be "very good" pads.

Edited by starman8tdc