OEM closed end lug nuts and steel wheels

My concern is the OEM lug nuts are closed end and about 1.7" long and are on alloy wheels. Since steel wheels are usually thinner (am getting a set of winter tires/wheels) I am concerned if the lug nuts will have enough capacity to properly tighten the steel wheels before bottoming out on the studs. Anyone have experience with this?

Was going to buy another set of Dorman 611-236 which are the same as the closed end OEM ones.

Do you know if I will have an issue? I am wanting to stay with closed end lug nuts so the studs don't corrode in the winter.

Thanks

Sent from my A1R using Tapatalk

Are you going with OEM steel wheels? Pretty sure those will dimple on the end when tightened all the way, plus you will still have the hub area exposed which will then corrode that dust cap on the end of the hub and make that look like a$$. Same on the end of the axle shaft in the rear.

I'd go with 24 of the external threaded nuts, and some center caps. You can get the silver painted caps the cheapest, 20941989, and the nuts 9597175.

I am not sure what you are getting for rims but if you are using the 17 inch chrome clad that is what I used I hunted around the auto wreckers until I found a set of center caps and the correct lug nuts for them and they cover up everything.I was told that the center caps for the older style chrome clad with the round holes would not work but I used them and I cannot see any problems with them.

Are you going with OEM steel wheels? Pretty sure those will dimple on the end when tightened all the way, plus you will still have the hub area exposed which will then corrode that dust cap on the end of the hub and make that look like a$$. Same on the end of the axle shaft in the rear.

I'd go with 24 of the external threaded nuts, and some center caps. You can get the silver painted caps the cheapest, 20941989, and the nuts 9597175.

Going with non OEM but they are suppose to he the same size and style, X45497. The parts guy at my local dealer said the closed in lug nuts will work, as they do with the steel spare wheel and on other steel winters they have installed. You make a good point with no center cover it may rust the centre of the axle.... may have to wait and see what I get, ordered the wheel/tire combo this morning.

I am not sure what you are getting for rims but if you are using the 17 inch chrome clad that is what I used I hunted around the auto wreckers until I found a set of center caps and the correct lug nuts for them and they cover up everything.I was told that the center caps for the older style chrome clad with the round holes would not work but I used them and I cannot see any problems with them.

They are suppose to be black steel ones like the OEM spare I believe, X45497. May look into those covered then get the externally thread lug buts to cover the axle ends. Think when my order arrives I will see if the light nuts I have fit, then determine what to buy. Could always but bit grease on the exposed centre axle hub after putting the steel wheels in to prevent rust.

My concern is the OEM lug nuts are closed end and about 1.7" long and are on alloy wheels. Since steel wheels are usually thinner (am getting a set of winter tires/wheels) I am concerned if the lug nuts will have enough capacity to properly tighten the steel wheels before bottoming out on the studs. Anyone have experience with this?

Was going to buy another set of Dorman 611-236 which are the same as the closed end OEM ones.

Do you know if I will have an issue? I am wanting to stay with closed end lug nuts so the studs don't corrode in the winter.

Thanks

Only one way to find out. Take off the alloy wheel and screw the lug nuts until they bottom and measure the free play between the nut and rotor. Then measure the thickness of the desired new steel wheels in the bolt area.

Archived