I'm looking at a usp 45 compact for cc but im on the fence between the v1 or v7. The VP are pretty affordable too but I don't know how well they would be for cc size wise.

The full-size was (in my opinion) too big to carry. The VP9SK has been my carry gun for a few months now and it carries great. I did previously have a HK45 Compact V7 (I think- light LEM trigger, no decoder/safety). It shot great but even with the bigger backstrap the length from the grip to the trigger was too short for my hands and shooting it was uncomfortable and cramped and I shot it poorly. Took a huge, depressing loss when I sold it but I needed money quick. As long as the 45 fits your hand I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. You can't go wrong with HK stuff quality wise.

I have medium size hands, what are the pros of the VP over the usp?

The VP has 3 pieces of the grip you can change out to one of three sizes to customize. I prefer a trigger with one pull and even though you can get the LEM on the USP, it has a looooooong takeup. I've mostly moved away from hammer fired stuff so the USP doesn't have a ton of appeal to me. If I could find one in 357 Sig I'd probably bite but those are out of production and rare.

What do you mean by take up? And lem? Are you talking about the double action on the v7 usp? I assume your vp is a 9mm also?

LEM (law enforcement modification) is a modified double action. You'd be better off hitting Youtube for a detailed explanation but it is my understanding that the LEM modification will compress the mainspring (the spring that is in the back of the grip) once the slide has been cycled. This makes for a kind of unique trigger pull- it is still a long pull like any other double action but there is no weight behind it (this is the takeup I mentioned previously) until the very end, where it breaks at around 5 lbs I think. So you basically get a double action trigger length of pull with a single action trigger weight. The idea was to help police departments avoid negligent discharges that seem to have become a bit more common with the lighter trigger pulls of a striker fired pistol. I wanted it because I like a trigger with one pull (I also think a standard double action trigger on a HK is waaaaaay too heavy). The LEM system is unique in that if you have a light primer strike, the trigger defaults to a normal double action for what they call "second strike" capability. On a VP9 or any other striker fired gun, you'd have to cycle the slide in a similar instance. The hammer-fired HKs have several versions that aren't always well explained available for both left and right handed shooters.

Default is a combination safety/decocker. This lets you carry the gun double action safety off, double action safety on or single action (hammer cocked) safety on.

Decocker delete is the next. It allows for double action safety off or cocked and locked like a 1911.

LEM light and standard trigger pulls are the other two.

Both my VPs are 9mm.

LEM (law enforcement modification) is a modified double action. You'd be better off hitting Youtube for a detailed explanation but it is my understanding that the LEM modification will compress the mainspring (the spring that is in the back of the grip) once the slide has been cycled. This makes for a kind of unique trigger pull- it is still a long pull like any other double action but there is no weight behind it (this is the takeup I mentioned previously) until the very end, where it breaks at around 5 lbs I think. So you basically get a double action trigger length of pull with a single action trigger weight. The idea was to help police departments avoid negligent discharges that seem to have become a bit more common with the lighter trigger pulls of a striker fired pistol. I wanted it because I like a trigger with one pull (I also think a standard double action trigger on a HK is waaaaaay too heavy). The LEM system is unique in that if you have a light primer strike, the trigger defaults to a normal double action for what they call "second strike" capability. On a VP9 or any other striker fired gun, you'd have to cycle the slide in a similar instance. The hammer-fired HKs have several versions that aren't always well explained available for both left and right handed shooters.

Default is a combination safety/decocker. This lets you carry the gun double action safety off, double action safety on or single action (hammer cocked) safety on.

Decocker delete is the next. It allows for double action safety off or cocked and locked like a 1911.

LEM light and standard trigger pulls are the other two.

Both my VPs are 9mm.

What are you using for a holster? I wanted an alien gear but it seems they don't offer one for the compact

• 2 weeks later...

Solid weapons, sounds like you made your choice already and a good one!

Wife has exclusively HK's for pistols

• USP .40 - had 10+ years, loves it. Solid and reliable
  • P30 9mm 3.85 inch DA / SA - had 3 years, she doesn't like it especially compared to USP
  • VP9SK 9mm LE Night Sights, only a couple of weeks old. Had it at the range just once when we picked it up but very favorable first impressions. I shot it and thinking about getting one for myself but realized I could just use hers :)
Edited by dave_clt