In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
HEisDINGUS

1988 k1500 rpm

Does anyone know the normal redline for an 88 k1500 4 speed granny low? Mine doesnt have a tachometer so im going to install one in the next week or so and i wish not to blow up my truck

A good driver will keep the motor under 4,000 rpm's all the time. Lower the rpm usage, longer the motor will last. Remember, ...it's not a "race truck", it's a "regular" truck.

My 1992 dash.

Oil pressure is a bit low, ain't it?

Oil pressure is a bit low, ain't it?

It's the gauge itself, I changed the sending unit etc. Everything else checks out good, been that way since I purchased it used 24 years ago.

Edited by Super 8

It's the gauge itself, I changed the sending unit etc. Everything else checks out good, been that way since I purchased it used 24 years ago.

I have an 89 with the same issue....

Most 'from the factory' small block Chevy's will indicate a red-line around 4500 RPM on the factory tachometer. You can run them safely up to around 5500 RPM, but why beat on it? You wouldn't be gaining anything anyways as the stock camshaft specs will not be targeted for this high an RPM. I also like to play it on the safe side with stock bottom end components and stay under 5000.

Edited by ifixedit

No redline on instrument cluster on 97 - 99 vortec 5.7 350

befote tune it would shift at 5k

after tune it shifts at 5.5 - 5.6k

truck only sees those rpms briefly when towing. I have held it at 4K - 4.8k for some time pulling hills in second gear. 4l60e actually drops a few degrees when engine revs are higher vs lugging. 

My 1979 400 6.6 redline in factory tach is 4.5k and it sounds not happy lol. 

IMG_5814.JPG

16 hours ago, 2009GMC said:

No redline on instrument cluster on 97 - 99 vortec 5.7 350

befote tune it would shift at 5k

after tune it shifts at 5.5 - 5.6k

truck only sees those rpms briefly when towing. I have held it at 4K - 4.8k for some time pulling hills in second gear. 4l60e actually drops a few degrees when engine revs are higher vs lugging. 

My 1979 400 6.6 redline in factory tach is 4.5k and it sounds not happy lol. 

IMG_5814.JPG

What kinda weight are you pulling behind it?

Prob about 3k - 3500 lbs. a 7x 14 enclosed single axle trailer loaded with camping gear and rzr. 

IMG_5499.JPG

Towing in the mountains 5k - 10k feet definitely notice trailer. But for a 20 year old truck it does good. Can cruse 65 70 no prob. Can hold 65 70 on moderate hills, just requires revs. 

http://www.legendmfginc.com/products/20/Explorer-Cargo-V-Nose-Series

That makes me a little hesitant to pull a car hauler loaded to about 6500lbs.  Does that truck have the max tow package?

On 10/16/2017 at 7:59 AM, Logan Lanfear said:

That makes me a little hesitant to pull a car hauler loaded to about 6500lbs.  Does that truck have the max tow package?

Yes. It has the F44 semi float 14 bolt rearend, factory trans cooler and factory oversized radiator + 3:73 gears. It was the max tow for k1500 which was 6k or 6.5k lbs. 

when it was new pulled a 24’ enclosed snowmobile trailer with 4 sleds, gear, etc. total trailer weight was prob 6k. It pulled it but lots of 2nd gear 5k rpm on hills to hold 60. The trailer fought a lot of wind. 

If if you decide to pull with your truck add a trans temp gauge as the 4l60e is the weak point. I’ve done a trans flush at home with valvoline max life full synthetic atf. Trans is original at 205k and counting. 

I added a max tow double vision trans temp gauge from Amazon and mounted sensor in pan. Normal towing temp is 185 - 210. Highest I’ve seen is 225 on a long slow 20 mph climb up dirt road where I then pulled over and let it idle and cool down. 

Edited by 2009GMC