When should I get rid of my 6.0?

So, I have a 2004 Yukon XL Denali with a 6.0, of course. I bought it almost 4 years ago with just over 210,000 miles. It now has almost 277,000. It runs well, but I've put some money into it along the way. Took care of most the leaks, but it burns oil. I get a big puff of white/blue smoke when I start it after it's been sitting after running hard. I've also had to add oil between the past few oil changes. This last time I added a quart at about 1,500 because it said check oil level. The check oil level light came on again the day before I took it in for an oil change and there was no oil on the dipstick!

Just curious when I should think about getting rid of it. I was thinking in the spring anyway, but then decided to keep it because we want to do some things with the house, but now I'm not sure. The shop put in a cocktail of oil cleaners/conditioners with the oil change to see if it helps.

What should I do?

Thanks for your input!

Well the interior is decent. A couple rips in the driver's seat. The body is rusted out underneath and getting bad by the rear wheel wells. I just converted up the rust with some rust stop and black paint and some black gorilla tape lol. Frame is very rusty. Tech said there is a hole rusted through in one spot a crack in another and bent in another.

Local but I put on a decent amount during school running kids every where. Lol Farthest it's been in a while is about 100 miles away. Once a month or so

If you've got a decent backup (meaning family member, spouse, etc) with a good vehicle I might continue to make it work as long as it's not dangerous to drive.

Bottom line is it's not going to be worth much as it is now. If you wait 6 months and it's still running well you'll not be out much and maybe in a better position to purchase.

I got $3800 for my '04 Denali XL w/200k at a stealership last year.. it was running perfect and didn't burn any oil.

I bought a '10 Escalade ESV (@26k) and am still kicking myself for that decision.

I really wish now I would've waited. The 6.0 is a solid motor. We needed something that I knew we wouldn't have issues with as we travel 2x per year back up north (4000 miles round-trip). The 6.2 is spunky but I've had a few issues with the new vehicle too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My 2010 5.3 burns twice that much with only 106k on the meter. The 6.0 is supposed to be pretty durable. I'd run it as long as possible as long as the transmission holds up. I'd check the oil more often though and try using Shell Rotella 15W40 instead of 10W30 or have the valve guides replaced. I need to do that too but it seems like something always comes up so it doesn't get done. Oil is cheap. Payments are not.

I'm with Northman. If you're ok with the body, then I'd probably drive it until it dies.

What you are experiencing with the oil smoke on startup is classic chevy lifter seals wearing out. Oil pools on the top of the valves, and then slowly leaks in when you stop (and burns on the next start).

Not really a big deal, just stay on top of checking the oil.

Archived