Basic overasked question. Diesel v Petrol

I'll keep it simple.

If you want the best for towing, diesel, for sure.

I know people who have switched from gas to diesel and have never regretted it.

Costs more ,yes.

One diesel owner I know had to put $8k in a Chevy diesel at 106k miles to repair the fuel system. Lost power, it needed injector's, injector pump etc.

If a diesel wasn't the best for towing all the big rigs would be gassers.

:happysad:

The first time you replace a set of injectors or any other portion of the diesel fuel system, you will regret it (unless you have deep pockets and like spending loads of money). I only had to replace six Bosch injectors in my Cummins (with F1 reman's) and that was just under $3k...that was only six, not eight.

I have owned several diesels, these newer ones with electronic injectors and injection pumps are very sensitive to any contamination. And it's easy to get contaminated fuels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go 2500 6.0L if your stuck on DD your truck, diesel if you buy a DD vehicle.

I'll explain why:

1) Daily Driving. I still can't understand why I personally DD trucks for years. What a waste of my money....and on a diesel it is just even more mind baffling. Wearing out a $xxxxxx truck on daily driving, tires, maintenance, warranty (or buying an extended warranty because of how quickly mileage goes up).

We have all seen the guy with the new sports car, driving it in the snow because he just couldn't afford anything else. I think this comes into play here.

Do some research on diesel trucks that actually only work. Not a lot of issues. Do the same research on DD diesel trucks.

Personally, I leaned my lesson after the last 5 trucks (guess I'm a slow learner) and now have a daily driver again. The first go around with a daily driver was a shitbox, and over time I just didn't drive it anymore. Waste of money and high repair bills on my DD HD trucks. This go around I decided the bank would not be broken, but a nice, used car of my choice would be purchased. I purchased a well maintained 07 Lexus IS350 that is a blast to drive, park, and pretty much can handle anything I do on a daily basis, and get 5-10 mpg better doing it.

2) I tow a lot for recreation purposes only, in the Rocky Mountains mainly. Diesel in the state of Colorado is cheaper than 87 octane (which is mid grade here), the fuel economy is 3 mpg across the board better. I just rolled over 13k miles yesterday and my truck turnes 1 year old in Novermber. My DD car has 15000 miles on it in 14 months. So if I wouldn't have had a DD car, I would be pushing 30k miles in the first year of ownership. That means tires would be close to needing replaced, my second fuel filter, going on my 6th oil change, and might as well start thinking about spinning off the Allison filter and installing a new one, along with a drain and fill. At this rate, in 5 years I will have used my truck ~75-85000 miles instead of 150000+ miles. Probably go another 5 years without a lot of issues. Hey.....saved myself another whole truck purchase. $60000.00 buys a lot of whatever else (but by the time I need another truck, most likely will need $100k).

3) Take the added power and efficiency of a diesel motor, let's look at some other factors:

-Controlled braking you get when the Allison 1000 is installed. This transmission is the bomb. I've towed with all the big 3, and this is where it is at. Combine this with an exhaust brake option...perfection.

4) 6.0L Gas has its benefits as well. This motor is rock strong. If you want a good tow rig, higher payload, no hastle, way cheaper overall, find gas anywhere (diesel....sometimes not so much), go this route. A man has to afford his toys, and a wise man once told men ever to finance them. The diesel 10000.00 resale value (lol, love when people say that, makes me laugh for a while) is a lot of money. DD one will cost you dearly. Trust me. My wife had to put a repair bill limit of 4500.00 per year. After that, the fun stopped. Then again, they were Dodges with the craptastic cummins motor.

Either way, stepping up from a 1/2 ton is a smart move, and a safer one.

I get exactly what you're saying. Kind of odd though, Europe and much of the world all use diesel for commuter vehicles... I know they aren't amped up to the tq these trucks are.

In the trailering guide. It looks like the real deal for me lies with the want for payload and the gasser has a marginally better payload capacity at the expense of towing ability. I've talked with the wife Who thinks in the future we would trade into a different trailer that isn't as big. But the bumper pull ones really lack the useful floor plans we like. Tripping over each other in the bedroom is a pita and the short queen bed makes my legs hang off the edge. The price point of the gas engine is very attractive and it's usually low grade recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new Diesels do look nice.. I went 6.0 for a few reasons..

Sits outside in the cold- no gelling issues. (plow truck)

$9k cheaper

EASY to Maintain

No emissions issues.

At the time gas was cheaper than diesel fuel

At 42,000 miles on my 15 6.0 NO issues what so ever. It pulls trailers daily. I'm very happy with it.. I have a custom tune on it as well... It pulls as good or better (in town) than our 05 LLY duramax.

Both are great engines.

I get exactly what you're saying. Kind of odd though, Europe and much of the world all use diesel for commuter vehicles... I know they aren't amped up to the tq these trucks are.

In the trailering guide. It looks like the real deal for me lies with the want for payload and the gasser has a marginally better payload capacity at the expense of towing ability. I've talked with the wife Who thinks in the future we would trade into a different trailer that isn't as big. But the bumper pull ones really lack the useful floor plans we like. Tripping over each other in the bedroom is a pita and the short queen bed makes my legs hang off the edge. The price point of the gas engine is very attractive and it's usually low grade recommended.

I don't know about the world and diesel. When I was in Europe in 13', seemed it was frowned upon. Here is a recent article on what is going on.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/business/energy-environment/germany-diesel-car-emissions.html

I'm not a TT fan either. This is my last one. I had to go with this since it was pulled by a 1/2 ton, and not that well either. 5ver for the win.

For those of you that don't have fancy pants trucks. How much tech integration is in the non/bose/non-navi head unit? Could I go to a double din Nav unit without losing all of the other things like DIC and other things?

I found an LT Z71 2500 6.0 that has the all-star edition and a few others. Doesn't have heated seats or navigation. Not crazy about the dark red. But it's growing on me.

For those of you that don't have fancy pants trucks. How much tech integration is in the non/bose/non-navi head unit? Could I go to a double din Nav unit without losing all of the other things like DIC and other things?

I found an LT Z71 2500 6.0 that has the all-star edition and a few others. Doesn't have heated seats or navigation. Not crazy about the dark red. But it's growing on me.

I have an LS, upgraded work truck.

I understand some things are still routed through the radio, even on the low buck radios. But I know folks replace the head units with aftermarket units and still drive their right down the road too...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

To be honest, I have nav and bose. Not really loving the bose and don't use anything but the streaming pandora and radio. I just don't want the steering wheel function to stop or lose function of the DIC if I make the change.

Never heard one without the Bose, but mine sounds great. Crank that baby all the way up with the bass down and the mirrors are vibrating. Just takes a small amount of fine tuning

Never heard one without the Bose, but mine sounds great. Crank that baby all the way up with the bass down and the mirrors are vibrating. Just takes a small amount of fine tuning

There's been a bunch of people with Bose in their K2 and say the quality is worse than the regular system. Even in my '98 with cheap Sony speakers in the door I could make the mirrors rattle with the bass and it was non Bose. The system in my '14 non Bose sounded great. The bad thing about Bose is that if you have to replace a part it has to be for a Bose, where for a normal system you can replace the part with whatever you want.

There's been a bunch of people with Bose in their K2 and say the quality is worse than the regular system. Even in my '98 with cheap Sony speakers in the door I could make the mirrors rattle with the bass and it was non Bose. The system in my '14 non Bose sounded great. The bad thing about Bose is that if you have to replace a part it has to be for a Bose, where for a normal system you can replace the part with whatever you want.

To each their own I guess. My bass is turned almost all the way down. I'm happy with it, but like I said I haven't heard a non-bose one

I'll add a question to this debate..I'm considering going back to a 3500HD from my Denali 1500 6.2. I was convinced I was going to buy the Diesel but might actually look at the gas since I don't tow all that much. My concern is the ride quality comparison. Coming from a 1500 Denali I know the ride is going to be worse overall but does anyone have input on the ride quality of a 3500 SRW crew gas vs. diesel. I'm thinking the diesel will ride nicer due to the added weight but would appreciate input from those that have spent time in both..

Don't have any experience in either, but I'm assuming there won't be much of a difference between the two. I believe both have the same size axles and leaf springs and I believe both have the same payload rating. If so, the ride should be identical

Archived