Adding a Catch Can

Wow! That’s a crazy amount for only 1000 Miles. Although my truck doesn’t get much idle time and normally it’s to work and back (about 30 Miles each way, so definitely gets up to operating temp.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't idle, get in the truck and drive...my commute is 50 miles each way, did several trips to the folks this Christmas at 600 miles round trip.

I'm now dumping the can once a week just because I almost had it up to the return port...

I do have mine setup so that it gets cool air blown across it and that enhances the ability of the can to do its intended job.

Steve

2012 2500hd 6.0l

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Waaazooo said:

Does anyone know of a manufacturer for a GM kit? (Bracket, fittings, and hoses?)

Are you wanting to replace the system on your truck or is it for another vehicle?

Are you wanting to replace the system on your truck or is it for another vehicle?

I didn’t know that the L5p comes with one. Nice to know. Something else I have to maintain. Lol

Those diesel ones are more a drip catcher for emissions...Dodge did the same thing a few years back to appease EPA.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

So is it advised to upgrade the current one or just roll with it?

47 minutes ago, Waaazooo said:

I didn’t know that the L5p comes with one. Nice to know. Something else I have to maintain. Lol

Supposed to be maintenance free.

Oil free air to intake, and oil drains back to crank case.

"Venturi Jet Drain Oil Separator
• First of its type in the new Duramax 6.6L
• Designed to ensure oil control in sustained full-load operation
• Totally sealed system that collects misted oil entrained in the blow-by gas, allowing
for re-use in the engine
• Less sophisticated systems result in oil carryover into the cylinders during combustion
"

From: http://gmpowertrain.com/engines/docs/GMQD16CLM70_L5P_Product PDF.pdf  

some details about how it's supposed to  work were in the link my previous post about 6 back. (about page 6 or 7 in the link IIRC)

Supposed to be maintenance free.

Oil free air to intake, and oil drains back to crank case.

"Venturi Jet Drain Oil Separator
• First of its type in the new Duramax 6.6L
• Designed to ensure oil control in sustained full-load operation
• Totally sealed system that collects misted oil entrained in the blow-by gas, allowing
for re-use in the engine
• Less sophisticated systems result in oil carryover into the cylinders during combustion
"

From: http://gmpowertrain.com/engines/docs/GMQD16CLM70_L5P_Product PDF.pdf  

some details about how it's supposed to  work were in the link my previous post about 6 back. (about page 6 or 7 in the link IIRC)

Awesome! They think of everything! Eff’n engineers!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/13/2018 at 3:28 PM, sdeeter19555 said:

Those diesel ones are more a drip catcher for emissions...Dodge did the same thing a few years back to appease EPA.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Actually, it is more than that.  Since the advent of EGR on diesels in 2003 and then the EPA requiring CCV return setups in 2007, the OEM's figured out really quick that having oil laden crankcase gasses returning to the intake and then mixing with soot laden exhaust gases from the EGR created a real mess in the intake.  So, that is the primary reason that the emissions equipped diesels have air/oil separators on them.  They are pretty elaborate on the heavy diesels.  This is just the separator unit from the Cummins ISX engine with 7 separator filters on it.....

IMG_5446.jpg

Edited by Cowpie