Adding a Catch Can

On 9/16/2017 at 3:16 PM, firerescuef2 said:

So I know it has taken me a while to reply back to this thread but the catch can is in. I have driven about 200 miles since I put it on and have already "caught" 3 tablespoons of oil. I was trying to get around 500 miles before I did a report. I had a bit of an issue installing it..... In my infinite wisdom I somehow managed to hook up the catch can in a loop to itself and the pcv line in a loop. I was wondering why in 500 miles I hadn't caught any oil. Well that certainly explained it. The catch can I installed is a simple non baffled can that I put a simple aluminum baffle and screen in. I have noticed a .5 mpg increase in overall mileage. Also the engine seems to run smoother at low rpms, I would assume this is due to not having the oil mist spraying into the intake. I am also going to install a "clean side" catch can to try and catch any oil in the "clean side". I will check in later when I have some more miles on the can but for now it seems to be a worthwhile investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not oil, if everyone who said they get all that oil your engines would be empty 

On 1/13/2018 at 3:28 PM, sdeeter19555 said:

Those diesel ones are more a drip catcher for emissions...Dodge did the same thing a few years back to appease EPA.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

It was not to "appease" the EPA.  All the heavy diesel engine OEM's, for instance,  put oil separation units on their engines to get the oil out of the PCV gasses before they get to the intake. It was due to the sooty nature of EGR in diesels.  If the oil got to the intake, it would join with the soot from EGR and create a mess in the intake.  While the EPA mandated EGR on diesels from 2003 onward, they did not require PCV systems until 2007.  At that point, the diesel OEM's realized that they would have to provide some sort of oil separator filtration.  

For instance, here is the replaceable PCV filter unit for a Cummins ISX....

IMG_5446.jpeg

Edited by Cowpie

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/22/2019 at 11:53 PM, #12FarmersFight said:

I run the JLT 3.0 catch can. Plug and Play, literally. I clean it religiously every 2000 to 2500 miles. 

322B38A1-0D62-4564-8DA6-D3223D00FF15.thumb.jpeg.4ede6113a1f6d486295fba211cc81d3e.jpeg

Is that the average?  Curious how often others are checking/cleaning?

I have noticed that it depends on how hard you drive. I drive easy and do my best not to get in a 9 line bind hurry. No need. If I do drive in a more aggressive state, it will fill up at a more rapid pace. So I just keep that in mind.